Recruiting numbers

Cribby

All-American
Premium
I’ve posted multiple times that this class could be on the smaller side , maybe twenty tops. Even cooney has mentioned as low as sixteen. Well throw all of that out the window . If anyone posts or tweets anything about knowing the numbers they’re straight up lying. At this point the staff isn’t even sure , there’s multiple things in play , not including the possible numbers increase. This is why recruiting has been hot n cold, they’re being VERY picky. Af this point they’ll only accept guys at the top of their board.

As I’ve mentioned in the past they’re expecting a good season and wanted to play off that momentum. So in the short term I wouldn’t expect a run of commitments. So I’d expect the same methodical type recruiting season we’ve been having for a little bit.

Advertisement
Ok I'll just ask this if you were to at least guess are there surprise guys that we havent heard that they wouldnt exprct but wouldn't be shocked if their recruitment heated up?

Ok I'll just ask this if you were to at least guess are there surprise guys that we havent heard that they wouldnt exprct but wouldn't be shocked if their recruitment heated up?
Singletary was in contact with us for months and most folks didn’t know. Kids reach out abd coaches reach, we have a really good season more names will likely pop up.

Advertisement
I’ve posted multiple times that this class could be on the smaller side , maybe twenty tops. Even cooney has mentioned as low as sixteen. Well throw all of that out the window . If anyone posts or tweets anything about knowing the numbers they’re straight up lying. At this point the staff isn’t even sure , there’s multiple things in play , not including the possible numbers increase. This is why recruiting has been hot n cold, they’re being VERY picky. Af this point they’ll only accept guys at the top of their board.

As I’ve mentioned in the past they’re expecting a good season and wanted to play off that momentum. So in the short term I wouldn’t expect a run of commitments. So I’d expect the same methodical type recruiting season we’ve been having for a little bit.
Does this put to bed the debate whether the DT Lyons from Homestead is at the top of our board at the moment? I know there were mixed views on this..I took the side that he was not but many on here thought that we lost him to FSU.

Thanks

Advertisement

I think it's a mistake to wait. Get the guys we need to win in 2022 and 2023. I've been a broken record on the fact we needed to recruit a full 25 (counting portal kids of course) because the numbers always work out.

I remember the Stacey Coley class where they were supposedly only taking 10-15 because of the NCAA situation, and we ended up taking a ton of specials to fill the class in the end. How many other classes did we say we had a team cap issue, and ended up only having 75-80 kids on roster, some years even less? Take 25!!! Find room if you need to (and we never need to).

Also, I believe the NCAA will need to give some relief with caps for the portal kids. Those poor suckers have nowhere to land after declaring their intent to transfer, largely because the NCAA signaled they would ease caps because of Covid then didn't. If the NCAA doesn't do something here, you can bet they'll face litigation and negative publicity.

I think it's a mistake to wait. Get the guys we need to win in 2022 and 2023. I've been a broken record on the fact we needed to recruit a full 25 (counting portal kids of course) because the numbers always work out.

I remember the Stacey Coley class where they were supposedly only taking 10-15 because of the NCAA situation, and we ended up taking a ton of specials to fill the class in the end. How many other classes did we say we had a team cap issue, and ended up only having 75-80 kids on roster, some years even less? Take 25!!! Find room if you need to (and we never need to).

Also, I believe the NCAA will need to give some relief with caps for the portal kids. Those poor suckers have nowhere to land after declaring their intent to transfer, largely because the NCAA signaled they would ease caps because of Covid then didn't. If the NCAA doesn't do something here, you can bet they'll face litigation and negative publicity.

If they don’t think they can be difference makers then why take them.

If they don’t think they can be difference makers then why take them.

It's impossible, not even Bama has 85 difference makers.

Sometimes you need a solid rotational kid that can give you quality minutes when your stars go down. If you dont get these kinds of kids, who is gonna come in when someone gets tired or hurt? Or God forbid suspended or expelled? You'll be left with Plan F walkons if you dont lock down your Plan B kids.

Advertisement

Not being a **** but you have 85 and the 25 “ the numbers just work themselves out “ is just something cute to say. They come from somewhere. You just don’t magically make spots appear. It would idiotic to use spots for the ‘23 class when it’s absolutely loaded. It’s kinda like everyone getting boners for every kid that hits the portal. You have to be responsible. If five stars want in you use some spots from ‘23 but taking spots from the next year just to do it is just irresponsible.

Last edited:

The thing is, right now they are over 85 scholarships. I believe they're at 91. There's a handful of guys who will have exhausted their eligibility at the end of this year but a majority of the roster will still have at least one more year to play. I have no idea why previous staffs would purposefully limit numbers besides NCAA sanctions but they aren't below the threshold anymore.

Advertisement
It's impossible, not even Bama has 85 difference makers.

Sometimes you need a solid rotational kid that can give you quality minutes when your stars go down. If you dont get these kinds of kids, who is gonna come in when someone gets tired or hurt? Or God forbid suspended or expelled? You'll be left with Plan F walkons if you dont lock down your Plan B kids.

We are three deep with quality players at nearly every position and adding more.

Your scenario isn’t reality.

I agree with you on just about everything. I would certainly hope, though, that if we can take 25 HS kids, we immediately give the green light to the Henderson twins.

Advertisement
Back