Recruiting is truly a crapshoot.

run a proper linear regression and post the errors, residuals, etc. and let's see what all of that looks like

I didn't make these, just sharing what is in that article which is definitely not scientific.

It also has the issue that it is comparing recruiting results to win results for the same years where in reality the correlation would likely be delayed (ex: the wins in 2015 probably have little to do with 2015 recruiting results). Certainly there are other factors as well like the fact that our schedule over that time frame was likely easier than several teams that finished with less wins, etc, but I still think this tells a better story than cherry picking recruits to make an 'All Busts' team.

Advertisement
Updated the chart for what I am pretty sure is Miami (17th in recruiting with 34 wins) and although we appear to have slightly overachieved in the ACC, we seem to have underachieved overall which seems more in line with our expectations (still better than FSU though!).

View attachment 115427

You cant just connect the smallest and largest values and call it a trend line. There is a lot of noise in the middle of the data set, and I doubt the relationship is as strong as this picture wants to suggest. Stars matter but that is a bs trendline.

Advertisement
Back