Recruiting in the Deep South

Our staff is crazy lol 🤣. Kid lives 20 minutes away from Auburn but the staff is pushing for him. Got some balls on them lol

20 minutes if you get behind a tractor in the road! It's almost the same town lol

Like no way we are getting these types 94% of the time. I will say Georgia has become little more friendly since Atlanta is so big and sprawled. Those kids sorta go a lot of places not just Georgia.

Advertisement
He's like the only one I think we got from that Mississippi area deep south

I think the JUCO kids are a different case as they are 2-3 years older, more mature, and are looking for a place to play from day 1 regardless of campus location or culture. Perhaps not even care so much about winning championships or playing in big bowls. They just want to win and/or play.

The area that I think UM should go hard, if they haven't by now, is the metro Balt-DC area. Area full of athletes with pretty good coaching - especially private schools - and alot og folks in the area love going to soFla, especially African-American and west Indies kids.

Last edited:
I would say another caveat would be so the big time area ACC/SEC schools want the kid?

For instance Ny Carr was a huge win. State of Ga, was a UGA commit.

Judd wasn't a big SEC offer kid.

Cole M wasn't someone Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, UGA, etc.. chased.

Day wasn't pursued by LSU did any other SEC schools push hard for him? Shows offers from Mississippi schools.

Also, not saying these kids won't turn out to be good players, just from a recurring perspective. Easier to beat Louisville for Alabama kid than say Auburn or of course Alabama.
yes i agree i think the size of the target should somehow be connected to the schools we were recruiting against.

Something else to consider:

Even if we don’t land these targets, Mario is making sure Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Miss St., and Georgia use more resources to secure the commitments. Those spent resources could limit their ability to recruit South Florida. With previous Miami staffs, I would think it a waste of time. With this staff, we likely have a time resource advantage as our recruiting team never relents. Also, the obvious resource of money too. Let’s make sure they pay for their in state guys too.
but doesnt that mean we are wasting our time/resources?

Advertisement
Something else to consider:

Even if we don’t land these targets, Mario is making sure Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Miss St., and Georgia use more resources to secure the commitments. Those spent resources could limit their ability to recruit South Florida. With previous Miami staffs, I would think it a waste of time. With this staff, we likely have a time resource advantage as our recruiting team never relents. Also, the obvious resource of money too. Let’s make sure they pay for their in state guys too.

Just saw this and agree 100%. The best defense is a great offense.

Advertisement

Our staff is crazy lol 🤣. Kid lives 20 minutes away from Auburn but the staff is pushing for him. Got some balls on them lol

steel daring GIF by DR

Advertisement
Recruit. Texas.

TC is a big state. Best entry point IMHO is Houston. When Katrina hit, I predicted Houston would become a talent powerhouse. It was already low Top 10 metro for HS football talent. Overnight doubled the talent pool with all the families flocking in from greater NO. Now they're rivaling DFW for best in state and getting to Top 5 territory.

For Miami recruiting, my Top 5 Metros would be:
Miami
ATL
NO/HO
NY/NJ
DMV
+ Rest of FL

TC is a big state. Best entry point IMHO is Houston. When Katrina hit, I predicted Houston would become a talent powerhouse. It was already low Top 10 metro for HS football talent. Overnight doubled the talent pool with all the families flocking in from greater NO. Now they're rivaling DFW for best in state and getting to Top 5 territory.

Miami
ATL
NO/HO
NY/NJ
DMV
+ Rest of FL
Agreed. Outside of Florida the Atlanta area, Dallas, Houston, NoLa, DMV, Vegas Gorman, Cali, NY/NJ/Philly should be our most concentrated areas. We already seem to be targeting corners from both Atlanta & the SMU commit from Duncanville so that's a start.

Advertisement
I think the JUCO kids are a different case as they are 2-3 years older, more mature, and are looking for a place to play from day 1 regardless of campus location or culture. Perhaps not even care so much about winning championships or playing in big bowls. They just want to win.

The area that I think UM should go hard, if they haven't by now, is the metro Balt-DC area. Area full of athletes with pretty good coaching - especially private schools - and alot og folks in the area love going to soFla, especially African-American and west Indies kids.
Most definitely the DMV area like you said and I think the Carolina states also would be great for them

Miami
ATL
NO/HO
NY/NJ
DMV
+ Rest of FL
How about Chicago area

Miami
ATL
NO/HO
NY/NJ
DMV
+ Rest of FL
The amount of talent from the state of Lousiana is insane but the kids from there are crazy loyal to LSU. Only team to really make a dent in Lousiana was prime Bama.

Advertisement
Back