Recruiting in the Deep South

Advertisement
While the two kids we got from Alabama are from the South, they are from a fairly large metropolitan area (Mobile).
Good point. I updated the OP to show the town population size. This may help spot trends in deep south recruiting.

What I can't easily capture is population in the general area, may need help with that from people that live there. Then I need to figure out how to capture the area population info in the table.

Good point. I updated the OP to show the town population size. This may help spot trends in deep south recruiting.

What I can't easily capture is population in the general area, may need help with that from people that live there. Then I need to figure out how to capture the area population info in the table.
Just my two cents, Theodore, Spanish Fort, and Saraland are all pretty much Mobile. Phenix City and Columbus GA same thing.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The areas are small and remote but there are pockets of fans outside of SEC. Small populations but there are def pockets of Miami, FSU, and Florida fans even in rural Alabama. But the allure of Bama with Saban and Auburn is deep in the psyche cause its everywhere everyday. No professional teams so being recruited by those teams holds a lot of weight. But with Saban gone the dream can be sold right now. I live in Dothan Alabama and in my office people always point my Miami stuff in my office and talk about it. Young and old. Saban was bigger than life here but that ship has sailed. We just need to win and win big. There are always pockets of players from around the area. Not many but some talent in surrounding small areas.

Advertisement
Every time we offer a recruit from Bama or MS, someone inevitably asks, yea, but do we have any chance here? @Odysseus says its virtually impossible to pull a kid from the "Slave belt". @DMoney even created a thread about why we need to stop recruiting kids from small towns.

@Zanecane requested a thread to see how our offers do long term to kids in this area. So here we go. Tracking kids we seriously recruited. Not just some random offer. Is it worthwhile or a waste of time to recruit this area of the country especially when you have UM friendly areas like TX that probably could use more focus.

RecruitPositionStarsCity/StateCity PopulationArea PopulationCollege$EC OffersACC OffersMiami TiesComment
Zion GradyDE5*Enterprise, AL28kYESYES
Anquon "Newboy" FegansS5*Alabaster, AL33kYESYES

Closing percentage
: 29%

RecruitPositionStarsCity/StateCity PopulationArea PopulationCollege$EC OffersACC OffersMiami TiesComment
Kamarion (Big Kam) FranklinDT/DE5*Lake Cormorant MS2kOle MissYESYESNoneGrandma pulled the rug out of this recruitment
Cole McConathyDE3*Spanish Fort, AL10k~200kMiamiNOYESNOCould be special, absolute terror in Bama HS football.
Kevin RileyRB4*Tuscaloosa, AL110kBama MiamiYESYESNOSupposedly wanted to get out of state until penal hail mary happened
J'Marion ‘‘Phat’’ BurnetteRB4*Andalusia, AL8.9kAuburnYESNone
Rydarrius "Red" MorganS3*Phoenix City, AL37k~200kBama F$UYESYESNoneFlipped the moment Saban offered
Cameron PruittLB4*Theodore, AL6.2k~200kMiamiNoneNever flipped (surprisingly)
Ryan "Hollywood" WilliamsWR5*Saraland, AL16.1k~200kBamaYESNoneVisited for a cup of tea
Artavius JonesDT4*Blountstown, FL2.2kMiamiSOMEYESLots of F$U flip rumors but stayed committed throughout the cycle
Markel BellOLJUCOCleveland, MS11.1kMiamiYESYES$EC came calling, but he picked the Canes.
I get your point but this staff is willing to go anywhere for a guy and I personally love that. Will their hit percentage be high, maybe not, but you won't land any you don't recruit.

Also, Grady and Fegans are too talented not to recruit

Advertisement
Something else to consider:

Even if we don’t land these targets, Mario is making sure Auburn, Alabama, Ole Miss, Miss St., and Georgia use more resources to secure the commitments. Those spent resources could limit their ability to recruit South Florida. With previous Miami staffs, I would think it a waste of time. With this staff, we likely have a time resource advantage as our recruiting team never relents. Also, the obvious resource of money too. Let’s make sure they pay for their in state guys too.

Advertisement
Back