Recruiting Headache

Mr. Dynasty1

Junior
Was this year more of a headache, (with the game playing, trolling, and flip flopping) than previous ones or was it pretty much par the course

Advertisement
It was the sames as any other year. What were you expecting and why?

I didn't have an expectation. Only been following recruiting for a couple years. Just was curious to see the opinions of the more seasoned followers

We have failed to make a splash on NSD since I can remember. Although uf is a middle of the pack sec team they racked up. Middle of the pack is because the sec east is more weak than either ACC conference. Signing day has become pretty much a nightmare as we only sign the players who were already committed. For every Jeff Thomas, we get a McFartland, an Edwards and a Henderson. Very underwhelming, while teams like fsu and uf strike gold.

Advertisement

I didn't have an expectation. Only been following recruiting for a couple years. Just was curious to see the opinions of the more seasoned followers

No problem. Just wanted to get an idea of what expectations you may have had going into NSD. It would help understanding your take this year on either position you took in your question.

No problem. Just wanted to get an idea of what expectations you may have had going into NSD. It would help understanding your take this year on either position you took in your question.

I can't recall numerous reports of kids telling coaches their coming and then flopping then flipping again. Then the whole McFarland situation. Even though we grabbed Harley, those sequences of events were weird.

I think this year was a big eye opener on how far we have fallen as a program. We can't blame the kids for not choosing us because we really haven't done anything in 10 years. Other schools haven't been down as long as us nor have they had as bad of coaching over the years consistently and we just haven't found the answer in the recruiting game. We hired a big name coach but we still suck at recruiting. There is something missing here in terms of selling points and real connections with recruits.

Advertisement

I can't recall numerous reports of kids telling coaches their coming and then flopping then flipping again. Then the whole McFarland situation. Even though we grabbed Harley, those sequences of events were weird.

That situation is what bothers me the most this year because of how they handled the RB situation all year. For whatever reason they made the decision they made; after NSD we still have no solid answers nor are we in a better position moving forward at that position. The problem in my opinion is that we locked in on one big name recruit RB and failed to have a backup plan. In previous years we never failed finding RBs in a recruiting cycle especially when we needed to fill the position.

I think people are a bit mellow dramatic. We ended up with a great class that filled needs.
If that is a headache then give me that every year.

We've been shined or been doing the shining for decades. There's a great quote from a movie to live by when watching the recruiting roller coaster year in and year out:

"I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it."

Advertisement
We have failed to make a splash on NSD since I can remember. Although uf is a middle of the pack sec team they racked up. Middle of the pack is because the sec east is more weak than either ACC conference. Signing day has become pretty much a nightmare as we only sign the players who were already committed. For every Jeff Thomas, we get a McFartland, an Edwards and a Henderson. Very underwhelming, while teams like fsu and uf strike gold.

You realize ufag had the same record as us and a better one last year. They played in the conference championship game both years! Richt will get us right

Henderson is not a CB Miami should have recruited him as a wr/Harvin type, McFarland would have had a career similar to Yearby here..Edwards would have provided depth....that's the reality for those kids so I understand their decisions

Miami needs to win big this year in order to have kids willing to sit and develop, otherwise they will continue to chase their NFL dream elsewhere.... simple things like how our PRO Day's have sucked under the last 2 regimes play a huge part in these kids decisions, at Bama even if you just contribute and don't get invited to any post season evaluation bowls, you are guaranteed a shot in front of every NFL scout, that and winning sells more than anything

It's always a headache. I'm just getting older and have less time for these kids and their antics.

I know it's fun for them to have their spot in the light, but I find most of it to be very stupid and classless.

Advertisement
all about expectations. ppl wouldn't be nearly as butt hurt had they not read the boards and just thought thomas and dean were nsd surprises. we were one db and one rb from having a stellar class. still got a tremendous haul - guys like steed are vastly underrated

I think people are a bit mellow dramatic. We ended up with a great class that filled needs.

Agree. Too much focus on what happens on NSD only and not enough perspective on the entire class.

You realize ufag had the same record as us and a better one last year. They played in the conference championship game both years! Richt will get us right

What's your point? Their conference is weak. My point is they rack up on NSD and we haven't in a long time. And I know the name of the game, but it would be nice to keep at least one out of the 4 DB's from South Florida home instead of them going to UF.

Agree. Too much focus on what happens on NSD only and not enough perspective on the entire class.

It's not melodramatic when the University of Miami signs one RB in a year of recruiting (one that has been prone to injury as well). That is a fail. Why do you think there's a big article on Thomas Brown still looking for RB's after NSD.

Advertisement
Back