Recruiting Headache

We still racked up a better finish in the week leading up to NSD than we have in a LONG time. Herbert, Dean, Harley, and Thomas isn't a joke finish. **** isn't gonna change overnight.

Hopefully in 2018 we don't have to worry about making a NSD splash because we have an elite class already in the fold.

Advertisement
We have failed to make a splash on NSD since I can remember. Although uf is a middle of the pack sec team they racked up. Middle of the pack is because the sec east is more weak than either ACC conference. Signing day has become pretty much a nightmare as we only sign the players who were already committed. For every Jeff Thomas, we get a McFartland, an Edwards and a Henderson. Very underwhelming, while teams like fsu and uf strike gold.

I agree on the splash thing...though that really doesn't bother me really. Don't really agree on the Florida being middle of the pack though. They will always be tough to beat in the State on recruiting, and they did win the SEC East...so just sayin...

I think this year was a big eye opener on how far we have fallen as a program. We can't blame the kids for not choosing us because we really haven't done anything in 10 years. Other schools haven't been down as long as us nor have they had as bad of coaching over the years consistently and we just haven't found the answer in the recruiting game. We hired a big name coach but we still suck at recruiting. There is something missing here in terms of selling points and real connections with recruits.

And what's missing here, has already begun to show change! We've been missing wins, and player development! Both if which this staff has already shown measurable advances in! Took almost 15 yrs to get to where we were ending '15!..we can't fix that in 1 year.

In ESPN's final rankings, we finished # 12 and Florida finished # 13. So, I'm not sure how Florida "racked' up. In 247 we finished # 13 and UF finished # 10. Look, should have closed a little better? Yes. Did it suck losing McFarland and Henderson? Yes. Is # 13 great? No, but I don't think some of you realize how badly Golden (and Shannon) ****ed the relationships with South Florida high schools, relationships that won't be fixed in one cycle. Also, we won our first bowl game in 10 ******* years, and our first real bowl game in 12. Let that sink in. If we don't improve on this class next year, and the next, then we have a problem. It's not like this class was # 30, or even # 20. This was a # 10 -13 class that filled a lot of needs (except RB).

honestly, compared to recent years past, this year didnt seem quite as bad.

also gotta consider, every year with more and more social media, fans are going to FEEL more of the twists & turns than they normally would

Advertisement
in the world of crybabies, snowflakes and tender safe spaces, everyone just needs to chill. we have not won 10 games, we have not won the coastal, we have not built the relationships with the local kids. we hired a proven coach who coached in a state that had really no competition and recruiting was easy. richt is working it and yes, learning how to recruit south florida divas. we are building, slowly putting the pieces together, winning, bowl win, going to the youth fields. you guys just need to chill. we lost 3 games, by a total of 11 points and 2 of them the refs helped. we could easily be 12-1. after 4 years, then i will judge.

If it feels worse, it's because it just happened. But it actually isn't. Every year has it's drama.

Losing Chris Henderson doesn't sting more than losing Matthew Thomas did. The McFarland drama wasn't near as bad as the Keith Bryant, Alex Collins, Denver Kirkland drama.

It just "feels" that way because it's fresh in everyone's head.

We have failed to make a splash on NSD since I can remember. Although uf is a middle of the pack sec team they racked up. Middle of the pack is because the sec east is more weak than either ACC conference. Signing day has become pretty much a nightmare as we only sign the players who were already committed. For every Jeff Thomas, we get a McFartland, an Edwards and a Henderson. Very underwhelming, while teams like fsu and uf strike gold.

u know Miami's class was ranked higher then uf by every service out there right, rivals had us 11th, espn 12th and 247 13th rated class and yet u are crying like a baby, this was a good class, could of used 1 more cb probably 1 more safety and 1 more rb but there biggest needs at wr and oline got filled by studs this is a better class then florida

Really splitting hairs when looking at the rankings. The scores are imperfect to begin with and the difference between #8 and #15 is immaterial. The only disappointments for me were getting hosed by McFarland and not having a backup plan, and not being able to convince 1 of the 2 of Henderson or Edwards to come here over UF. Otherwise, I think the class is fantastic.

Thomas is a game changer. Put him, Richards, Harley and Mullins on the field and the defense is in trouble. Our offensive line finally has some serious promise. We have an easy schedule, so building on last season's success should be easier. Things are trending up.

Advertisement
We've limped to the finish for many years now. Miami is a fickle town. They LOVE a winner, but lose interest in a loser. The recruits tend to embody this as well. When we were good in 2000 - 2002 we basically finished with top 5 classes. We had S. Florida recruits willing to Greyshirt to come here. I'm talking Vince Wilford type of dudes. Personally though, I like filling out our rosters with a handful of hungry JUCO and Grad transfers. Shockey, Jerome McDougle, Bryan McKinney, Andrew Smith to name a few from that 2001 team.

Advertisement
Back