Recruiting Athleticism and Body types

supacane

Senior
In the 2014 class based on 247 sports we had 7 4 stars and 1 5 star who was Chad Thomas. We also had Yearby, KC McDermott and Brad Kaaya in that class. That class produce 1 first round draft pick. It was none of the blue chip rated players. It was a raw athletic freak named David Njoku. 3 star 84 rated.

I say that to say this. It pays to recruit athleticism, speed, quick twitch, leaping ability etc. Njoku was tremendous high jumper. There will be players in our class that are not rated high because they have not been playing football for a long time. Its also unlikely that they pick up really bad habits than need to be uncoached. Players such as Acheampong and Carver and the Aussie OL. Its not gonna boost our rating in overall class rank alot of times. But in 3 or 4 years dont be surprised if guys like this are the highest drafted. Especially when you combined better strength and conditioning and teaching assistants. Mario is from the school of Butch Davis, who was a genius at looking at body types and seeing what they could become. That is a more valuable skill for a building program than say just dropping bags on the highest rated. If the player is not highly rated, look at their athleticism. Recruiting is projection, its a skill.

Btw Rousseau was also a athletic freak 3 star 88 rated on 247. I think if my memory serves me right him and Njoku were the last 2 first round picks we recruited out of high school. Dont quote me but i think thats right.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Sleepy Happy Sunday GIF by Nature on PBS

Advertisement
Well that proves it. If one season of Al Golden recruiting doesn’t show you that stars don’t matter, nothing will.

/s/ because someone will be too stupid to pick up the sarcasm here even though I’m laying it on pretty thick

In the 2014 class based on 247 sports we had 7 4 stars and 1 5 star who was Chad Thomas. We also had Yearby, KC McDermott and Brad Kaaya in that class. That class produce 1 first round draft pick. It was none of the blue chip rated players. It was a raw athletic freak named David Njoku. 3 star 84 rated.

I say that to say this. It pays to recruit athleticism, speed, quick twitch, leaping ability etc. Njoku was tremendous high jumper. There will be players in our class that are not rated high because they have not been playing football for a long time. Its also unlikely that they pick up really bad habits than need to be uncoached. Players such as Acheampong and Carver and the Aussie OL. Its not gonna boost our rating in overall class rank alot of times. But in 3 or 4 years dont be surprised if guys like this are the highest drafted. Especially when you combined better strength and conditioning and teaching assistants. Mario is from the school of Butch Davis, who was a genius at looking at body types and seeing what they could become. That is a more valuable skill for a building program than say just dropping bags on the highest rated. If the player is not highly rated, look at their athleticism. Recruiting is projection, its a skill.

Btw Rousseau was also a athletic freak 3 star 88 rated on 247. I think if my memory serves me right him and Njoku were the last 2 first round picks we recruited out of high school. Dont quote me but i think thats right.
Ok now do the 2019 UGA class.

Advertisement
With Mario, I don’t worry about recruiting.

With Highsmith, I don’t worry about talent evaluation.

If Highsmith is recommending some 3-star kids because they’re athletic in some kind of way, then they’re 5-stars to me.

The instant they hired Highsmith, I quit being a star *****. He knows far more about evaluating talent than 247 or Rivals, and he’s doing it full time. I trust him to evaluate and I trust Mario to close. We’re good.

Advertisement
Ok now do the 2019 UGA class.
You have a reading comprehension issue. You do know recruiting athleticism and body types doesnt mean we should not recruit stars right? Its very important to recruit stars. They usually are the elite athletes.

The point of this thread is there are alot of players who are elite athletes who are not highly rated. Chris Johnson the RB for example, alot of people are mum on him as most of them see him as a 3 star. Yet i want us to get him, why? He is a elite athlete. You cant coach 10.4 and 20.7 in the 100m and 200m. David Hicks is highly rated and a elite athlete, i want him too

Most of the time, Cristobal evals are gon a match up with the star rating. Yet if you have your criteria for recruiting players it leads you to players like NJoku, Rosseau, Acheampong etc.

Never once said anything about not needing stars. Im talking abour recruiting elite athletes even if they are not highly rated..catch up

Btw i remember many people saying Anthony Shwartz wasn't anything special and he was let go to Auburn. Tutu Atwell another one. Their speed alone should have them at high priority for Miami. Real G's know what im talking about

You have a reading comprehension issue. You do know recruiting athleticism and body types doesnt mean we should not recruit stars right? Its very important to recruit stars. They usually are the elite athletes.

The point of this thread is there are alot of players who are elite athletes who are not highly rated. Chris Johnson the RB for example, alot of people are mum on him as most of them see him as a 3 star. Yet i want us to get him, why? He is a elite athlete. You cant coach 10.4 and 20.7 in the 100m and 200m. David Hicks is highly rated and a elite athlete, i want him too

Most of the time, Cristobal evals are gon a match up with the star rating. Yet if you have your criteria for recruiting players it leads you to players like NJoku, Rosseau, Acheampong etc.

Never once said anything about not needing stars. Im talking abour recruiting elite athletes even if they are not highly rated..catch up

Btw i remember many people saying Anthony Shwartz wasn't anything special and he was let go to Auburn. Tutu Atwell another one. Their speed alone should have them at high priority for Miami. Real G's know what im talking about
So you not gone do 2019 UGA class?

Advertisement
I think at his introductory press conference, Mario said something like, "There are size and speed combinations that are proven," or something like that. If I get really bored, I'll try to find it.

Advertisement
Back