Really Really OT...Kind of: Future of Miami

Sure.

Vote for politicians who take it seriously and will address it. Hold them accountable if they do not.

You wanna disagree on gun control. abortion. taxes, immigration, foreign policy, okay cool. I get it. These are matters of perspective and opinion. I get it

But for the life of me I cannot figure out how or why climate change is a partisan/ political issue. It's like making cancer or diabetes political. I dont understand the intent or purpose of denying it.

No thanks. A-cOC-k will have to scrum for votes another way.

Advertisement
Unfortunately, this is probably not the best forum for this discussion. A greater majority of football fans in general will side with whatever nonsense their sacred cow political leaders say over hard scientific data, no matter what team they root for, as evidenced by some of the replies above - although granted, I do imagine there are a few more reasonable Canes fans in comparison to those in country *** hick towns like Tuscaloosa, Athens etc.
No. You're wrong.

I believe in a rational approach, based on the best evidence.

Whatever Manny says on climate, I will find to be the best solution.

I'll name you 7 right now. UK, Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Portugal, France, and Germany.

As far as the first part of your post, America isnt wholly white, so I'm still not sure why you mentioned it instead of just simply saying Americans. Really strange.

It's not really strange at if you heard any of the current political dialog. White Americans (particularly males) are the cause of most of the world's problem.

Its part of natural climate cycle. Millions of years ago, sea levels (according to science) we HUNDREDS of feet lower than they are now and also HUNDREDS of feet higher as well.

Its the hubris and narcissism of todays climate alarmists that actually beleive mother nature, long term, gives one second of one thought to ANYTHING humans can do (on a geological scale).

We cant stop "global warming" or "global cooling".

Live life and hang on for the ride.

Advertisement
Kudos to the OP. Glad to see this issue addressed on this board.
Twenty years from now, Miami will be a different city. There is no going back. The only issue will be how to retreat from the coasts...It's already happening in Louisiana and California...
please post a legitimate source for you hysteria. Where in CA or even LA

The thing is, I never mentioned climate change or global warming in my op. I was merely talking about rising sea levels, which I thought was ubiquitous. Global warming and climate change is left for the big wigs in DC to decide.

The thing is, I never mentioned climate change or global warming in my op. I was merely talking about rising sea levels, which I thought was ubiquitous. Global warming and climate change is left for the big wigs in DC to decide.

You really want those big wigs in DC deciding anything, collectively?

I

I remember watching in search of with Leonard Nimoy and it was all about global freezing.

I saw that too. Truth is that we are coming out of a mini ice that began about 500 to 600 years ago that like earlier one started large migration. This one was called the Age of Exploration. Before then, wine grapes grew in Southern England then it became too cold. Today those grapes are growing again. History explains what is going on better that science.

Advertisement
Climate change is real.

It’s been changing since there’s been a climate, which is way before man ever walked the earth.

The question is, how much of the current climate trends are affected/caused by human activity as opposed to other factors, and to what extent. There is no question that human activity, mainly in the form of emissions has an impact. The question is, what is the actual percent or amount of that impact, and if you understand science you understand that there is no way to test or confirm that.

The real issue is who is going to bear the economic impact of changes being proposed when the US is only responsible for in the neighborhood of 10-15 of emissions worldwide and the single greatest offender is China, to the tune of 1/3 or more of global worldwide emissions, and is a country exempt from any action.

The US could go 100% green tomorrow and it won’t make any impact other than destroying our economy.

Japanese scientist concur with this assessment.

Advertisement
FFS, we used coal and oil in the industrial revolution. These are outdated energy sources and they are only being propped up bc decrepit billionaires in these industries are acting as sugar daddies to our politicians.

There is no debate about this issue. To say otherwise and try to be a contrarian makes you look like those folks who used to push science that said cigarette smoking was actually healthy. Especially for pregnant women.

Now the big talking point against drastic action is that othet r countries pollute, too. Since when does the US point to China and India to justify its actions on energy policy? What a ridiculous excuse, especially when you consider that the US is the world's second largest polluter and nearly double that of third place India. To say us curbing our emissions wont have an effect is insanity.

We are supposed to be leaders, but sadly our leaders for some time have been happy to follow on this issue. I'm a big time Obama guy, and yet, he was horrendous on energy (never forget the US became the worlds leader in oil output due to his administration's embrace of fracking. Ugh).

We put a man on the moon 60 years after the first flight, but transitioning to renewables in a decade is somehow ludicrous and unrealistic?

JFC, we have people actually arguing in the EPA that CO2 emissions are a good thing, and then we have others arguing that its Gods will to rise the seas.

I hate us some times.

I didn't realize AOC posted on the site.

People are going to troll you for posting this but i totally think about this from time to time.

Climate change is 100% a real thing. If in 2019, you still dont believe in global warming and climate change, you are literally a lost cause. Stop with the "liberal hoax" bull****. Its got nothing to ******* do with politics. This is something 95% percent of scientists in the entire world agree upon. Most dumbasses on this board dont care because theyre 75 years old, would actually suck Trumps **** if he asked politely, and wont feel the effects of climate change in their lifetime.

Probably not any time soon, but at some point likely in the next 50 years, a large portion, if not ALL of Miami WILL be under water.

Pretty scary to think about our beloved football program and city ceasing to exist.

Well, at least you are not a climate change twelver. We have only been measuring global temperatures for the past 130 years or so. Climate changes (at times very extreme) has been occurring on our planet for the past 4 billion years. Statistically speaking, not that big of a sample size to come to definitive conclusions regarding man-made impact on the rise of global temperatures.

There is actually evidence within past few years that global temperatures have risen more slowly in the past 15 years despite record greenhouse emissions occurring at the same time. There could be different reasons for that but just goes to show we really don't understand a lot of the variables that go into predicting climate, so much of the models being used are at best speculative.

There is plenty of room for debate and healthy discussion regarding causes of climate change but this climate alarmism "gone wild" coming mostly from the left, coupled with calls for systemic changes of our economy and way of life as the main way of dealing with it smacks of Alinskyite tactics to create crises for political advantage. That is where some of us push back that value and want to protect our individual rights and freedom.

Advertisement
Well, at least you are not a climate change twelver. We have only been measuring global temperatures for the past 130 years or so. Climate changes (at times very extreme) has been occurring on our planet for the past 4 billion years. Statistically speaking, not that big of a sample size to come to definitive conclusions regarding man-made impact on the rise of global temperatures.

There is actually evidence within past few years that global temperatures have risen more slowly in the past 15 years despite record greenhouse emissions occurring at the same time. There could be different reasons for that but just goes to show we really don't understand a lot of the variables that go into predicting climate, so much of the models being used are at best speculative.

There is plenty of room for debate and healthy discussion regarding causes of climate change but this climate alarmism "gone wild" coming mostly from the left, coupled with calls for systemic changes of our economy and way of life as the main way of dealing with it smacks of Alinskyite tactics to create crises for political advantage. That is where some of us push back that value and want to protect our individual rights and freedom.
Haven't you heard . . . the debate is over . . . Oh, and Tate can't throw . . .

I didn't realize AOC posted on the site.
I wish she did. She's awesome, as are the rest of the squad. Big fans.

But, I already said her New Green Deal was no bueno in an earlier post.

San Diego also is gonna see some big time damage from climate change, too, Ron Burgandy. Ask Brick. He'll tell ya.

I know I may sound like Dock Ellis running our of left field here, but do any of you guys or girls ever worry about losing the program to rising sea levels. I was reading an article about rising sea levels and what the world will look like in the future and Miami is up there with a lot of popular places that would be first to go if an event were to happen. I know its not going to happen tomorrow or next year, but ten, twenty or even fifty years from now we could be talking about the city of Miami like it was Atlantis. Just look at a picture of the shore line on South Beach from the 60's or 70's and compare it to what it looks like now and the evidence is there. I sometimes worry that I will have to tell my grand children about the greatest college football team of all time and how the city it is located in no longer exist. What are your thoughts, concerns or criticisms about the subject?

All the time...to the point that I've calculated that in 2040 IF the projections are true.....I'll have beachfront properties in both Florida and Pennsylvania:cool:

See, this is a post I can get with even if I disagree. In this entire thread, I have not down voted a Single Post, nor have I called any poster any type of name. (Although i did say I hate us sonetimes).

As far as the alarmist mentality, I believe this is also overstated by folks on the right. No one is saying the world is going to end in 50 to 100 years. No. One. We are saying action needs to happen now rather than later bc the consequences to come are going to fundamentally change our way of living, economy, security, and freedoms far more than any perceived changes to come from immediate action.

As for the effects on the economy, theres no evidence showing rapid and tiered action is to going wreck our economy (in fact theres an argument it will create jobs), which is long overdue for an overhaul anyway.

Americas energy apparatus is outdated and archaic. Our infrastructure is trash.Traffic congestion is only getting worse due to horrific transportation planning (which mainly revolves around depleting mass public transport) We're going to have to address these same issues one way or another. If cost effectiveness is the concern, then waiting will only make it more expensive.

There is no reason we should be burning coal for energy in the year 2019. None. Take climate change equation out of the discussion, and it still holds true. These are antiquated technologies that only exist to line the pockets of wealthy elites. I'm not naive enough to think that elites also wont profit off of Green Technologies either, but at least we wont be using the same means of production that the elites did during The Gilded Age.

As for the evidence that temps have dropped the past 15 years, that is bc of weather patterns that moved excess heat into the ocean. The surface temps cooled, but the overall temp still went up which leads to the same effects. Global warming was still (and is) occurring bc of the biosphere.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back