Reality….. (Diaz survives til end of season, OP's opinion)

Not sure what it actually came down to but we had the spots due to the COVID year being a waiver of eligibility. School would have been on the hook for paying the extra scholarship so it wouldn't surprise me. I listened to an interview on why he left.. don't remember all of it but it seemed to be mutual.
reading the story now (w toral), basically when he went to test the waters, we committed our ships to the incoming class and he didn't have a ship when he didn't get picked. there were like 11 ships for 30 plus players and we already committed those. we didn't expect him back and he didn't either. there wasn't bad blood there other than he just didn't have a ship for a fifth year and prolly didn't want to pay in full to attend Miami for a masters. the rest of the transfers were reserve guys from what I saw, but the product has not been good on the field.

Advertisement
So many posts on what we’d like to happen. Here is a dose of what is probable. Manny will finish out the season (unless he has a Golden Clemson game). Evaluation will take place, Manny will likely be let go and a new coach will be hired. This is when you will see how much stock the prez, admin, & BOT, puts in athletics at The U. If Blake is terminated that will be the tell all. I realize a lot of you only care about FB but under his reign Basketball & Baseball are as bad or in worse shape. This will be the tell to how committed the administration is towards athletics. If Blake is retained it becomes wash, rinse, repeat. The AD is the key domino for the whole athletic department. Yes I know this has been hashed out before but to reiterate keep your eyes on the AD position for the administration’s true stance on sports programs at UM!
What I see as a likely scenario is a). Losing to UNC by 2 TD's or so at Chapel Hill .. going to be a tough environment .. sell out crowd .. 95% UNC fans .. loud. b). Losing to a tough NC State team at Hard Rock. c). Pitt @ Pitt on Oct. 30. They are currently the #1 offensive team and Pickett has a 72% completion percentage, the team averages 558 yards offense per game. THAT game could very well be Manny's "Al Golden .. Clemson" game. Total beatdown and Manny is relieved of his duties on that Sunday. Interim HC is named .. and the search committee is formed. Big question is ... will Blake James have ANY involvement in the search and hire? Will he be removed from athletics and focused on fund raising .. or simply terminated as well and a QUALITY AD hired.

USC cares about football…and they have a new AD who didn’t hire Helton
Fair enough, but who do the BOT/Admin need to justify the firing to? All I'm saying is there is no conflict/debate over whether Manny Diaz can coach. Manny has no fans or believers left, whether internally or externally of the program. Keeping him around does more harm than good

I think Blake gets canned after UNC. I think the school scrambles for damage control and…unfortunately, Jenn Strawly is the interim AD. Hopefully they land a legit AD in enough time to stop the bleeding. Manny gets canned after losing to FSU or if he wins, after the season ends. The new coach might be hired by committee, and that committee (hopefully) will be a bunch of dudes who understand sports.

The brightside is, we see this fictitious coaching carousel go up and down week to week. The stocks are rising and falling on every favorite. Mario, Lane, Urban, **** even Butch has changed status in the last 72 hours. Sometimes there is prudence to wait and see.

Manny is not going to make it to November. UNC and NC State will take care of that and if the BOT don't push him and Blake out after those 2 losses Pitt is going to going to squeeze that last nut out of the ball sacs. So again we will have at least and interim coach by Halloween. Michael Myers could probably coach this squad better at least he will have them killing people on the defense.
I totally agree. We haven't even played a real road game yet and have basically imploded. Wait till this dude has to go to UNC again. Mack brown is just waiting for him to give him another spanking.

Advertisement
So many posts on what we’d like to happen. Here is a dose of what is probable. Manny will finish out the season (unless he has a Golden Clemson game). Evaluation will take place, Manny will likely be let go and a new coach will be hired. This is when you will see how much stock the prez, admin, & BOT, puts in athletics at The U. If Blake is terminated that will be the tell all. I realize a lot of you only care about FB but under his reign Basketball & Baseball are as bad or in worse shape. This will be the tell to how committed the administration is towards athletics. If Blake is retained it becomes wash, rinse, repeat. The AD is the key domino for the whole athletic department. Yes I know this has been hashed out before but to reiterate keep your eyes on the AD position for the administration’s true stance on sports programs at UM!

There is another type of tell all by keeping Blake but getting him out of football. The other programs just don't have the kind of financial clout to make them listen.

I agree though for the benefit of the other sports programs you need a committed AD to all your sports.

I just think they will look at the football side which is what's driving all the negative attention and getting pvt. meetings with former football players, and not former baseball and basketball players.

Buckle up. This admin will not fire Manny in season, period. He will finish out the season and likely be let go unless he can find a way to dramatically show improvement over the final half-season...which is extremely unlikely to happen. 100% agree that you will know everything you need to know about how serious this admin is about sports by this next hire. If they skimp, it's game over for this program as you know it.

I don't think that there is any way that they get rid of Blake. The admins know to shut off this storm they need to win football games. We like baseball and basketball obviously but the majority of us will shut up if they fix football. I believe that is what they'll focus on fixing. They seem to like Blakes fund raising so they're not going to throw the baby out with the water.

Tomato man might get rid of Blake to deflect criticism of his son...

Advertisement

This yahoo could legit be 3-6 going into Florida State week. I’d be shocked if Diaz is around then. I think he could be out before month’s end of the Carolina schools smack him around.

Honestly, the reality is is that they REALLY don't want to fire Manny or make any changes, and Blake/Frenk/the board are royally ****ed off at us for being angry at mediocrity.

I'm telling you right now, they probably look at it like this:

-Bama had more talent than us but Manny will be there with 2 more recruiting classes!
-App State was a "hard fought win" (never mind the fact that App State looked better than us the majority of the game & would have beaten us if their receivers didn't start dropping passes on the last drive)
-Michigan State is a REALLY GOOD TEAM & SUPER TALENTED! (never mind the fact that Nebraska completely shut their offense down the very next week & held them to literally 5 yards of offense in the 2nd half, and only lost because Frost played for overtime instead of the win, then the week after that they gave up 560 yards of offense to Western Kentucky)
-CCSU was a great W against a quality opponent!
-We fought to thr final whistle against UVA! (One of the worst teams in the ACC)

I'm telling you, the only way Manny gets fired is if we get blown out by FSU and/or we don't go bowling. Especially if King is done for the year, they are gonna chalk it up as a lost year & give Mandy more time. The athletic department is MAD AS **** that the fanbase is making a fuss, because now the media is looking at them & calling them out for not doing anything. They're gonna sit there & do nothing as Manny becomes a lame duck like Clay Helton or Gerald Ford.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back