Realistic expectations for early Signing Period

This is the recruiting board version of 15-0
home alone christmas movies GIF

Advertisement
Realistically- this class is a wash even with the spring signing. We might be able to close a stud (fingers crossed for S. Stewart) but it doesn’t look promising & that is ok. Anything is better than where we’re currently at lol. It seems we won’t have a complete staff in place for a couple weeks- it’s essentially Mario & the Diaz holdovers holding down the fort right now. The fact we’re getting top 100 kids from outside our footprint on campus last minute is a testament to Cristobals chops on the trail & an indication of what’s to come.

Where he should be expected to hit is in the portal. This team needs immediate talent infusions at OL/DL & CB. Multiple bodies are needed there. LB/WR should also probably see at least one body. Competition needs to be added to those groups to raise the floor & level of play. Immediate impact contributors should be expected.
Mario should be measured for this cycle based on the portal & let’s see where the chips fall in 23’.
Nice post

Just so we’re clear:

USC currently have the 100th ranked class even w/ the hire. The class of ‘23 is where they are top 10 after the hire.

Again, as I said in my OP today regarding what matters to recruits, yes I mentioned facilities, uniforms, & S&C matter, but I highlighted that coaching, RELATIONSHIPS, conference, matter the most. It’s foolish to think that a new HC, despite the success he had at another school, will magically pull a kid who he barely, if ever, talked to.

Off strength l think we pull a couple of surprises, but for the most part, I don’t expect any fireworks come Weds. I’m content w/ knowing The Class of 22 will pick up a few pieces, keep important ones, and supplemented by The Portal.

you're setting yourself up for failure.
That's the pattern here. Set up unrealistic expectations so there can be complaining.

Mario is gonna do great things in here in recruiting but it's gonna take a minute. If this class ends up top 25 in February that's a huge win. If it ends up outside that we can supplement it with the portal. But give the man a second.

is that correct we have have 32 counters this year? So if we theoretically end up with 15 total signee’s between SD and ESD, we could then fill in the holes with 17 portal players?

Advertisement
is that correct we have have 32 counters this year? So if we theoretically end up with 15 total signee’s between SD and ESD, we could then fill in the holes with 17 portal players?
We will have players leave or be told GTFO! So spots will open up after spring ball

I just didn't trust Manny's ability to identified talent: his linebacking recruiting was absolutely brutally bad : His best defensive players seemed to have come from the portal :

Advertisement
He needs to keep the 4/5 stars we have in the class in tact, first and foremost. Looks like he has accomplished that.

He needs to not start taking fillers. No 3-star Al Golden specials. He's doing well on that front as well.

Honestly I'm not worried about recruiting with Mario here. He seems to be going about it the right way.

I don't give a **** about Earl Little. If he comes, great. If not, between T-Rob and Mario we will find another 4-star or better corner to take his place.

Advertisement
Back