Realistic expectations for early Signing Period

AtlAtty

Recruit
Maude
I think it is important that we all keep some perspective on the early signing period with a coach who was just hired, regardless of how good a recruiter he is.
Realistic expectations to me are:
1. Keep every player Mario wants in the recruiting class
2. Add 1-2 players
3. Convince some players NOT to sign early with another school and give UM a chance to win them over for the Feb signing period

I expect we will be much happier by the end of the Feb signing period than Wednesday. Give Mario another 2 months and he will have time to make things happen. And of course we will be very active with the transfer portal. But please, please do not freak out that we did not flip 6 guys because Mario is supposed to "elite". Remember that he is a coach, not a magician and he can't make 1-2 years of subpar recruiting disappear in 10 days.

Advertisement
I think it is important that we all keep some perspective on the early signing period with a coach who was just hired, regardless of how good a recruiter he is.
2. Add 1-2 players
3. Convince some players NOT to sign early with another school and give UM a chance to win them over for the Feb signing period

I expect we will be much happier by the end of the Feb signing period than Wednesday. Give Mario another 2 months and he will have time to make things happen. And of course we will be very active with the transfer portal. But please, please do not freak out that we did not flip 6 guys because Mario is supposed to "elite". Remember that he is a coach, not a magician and he can't make 1-2 years of subpar recruiting disappear in 10 days.
Showtime Recording GIF by CBS

Advertisement
I was just thinking this after seeing a few freak out on Twitter. I mean, this man was literally JUST HIRED. Let him cook. Recruiting is all about building relationships w/ the product and resources you have. Mans is still learning we're the bathrooms are at while pitching the new vision. Gotta let things play out. We're already better than we've been.

If we only get Kelly AND all these targets committed elsewhere, I think I would be slightly disappointed but not because of the effort Mario is putting in; it's totally understandable for recruits to be skeptical considering Mario got here last week, + we have no coordinators.

But given all the hype and the sense that this weekend sounded promising, I do expect to land at least one, preferably 2 other guys (this included at the time Coleman, Moss, Skinner, Banks, Williams, Gibson, Florence, Little Jr., Stewart, Barnes, Everette, Clemons). I know not all these guys are signing early nor were here this weekend.

Edit: I probably missed some key names as well, but you get the gist.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If we're content with average results, we could have just hired an average coach for an average salary.

We should all expect Mario to be the best. Dude is making a top 5 salary. Recruiting is supposed to be his one signature strength. No reason on God's green earth for him to not secure Graves, Bissainthe, Rogers, Kelly and Moss for ESD. Then get Florence and Stewart in February. Every single recruit i named is a Miami commit, a kid with high interest in Miami, or a Cristobal kid. And we have playing time and wide open depth charts galore to sell them at end, corner and even linebacker.

Advertisement
Advertisement
2. Add 1-2 players

Spot on Post....... We need to be realistic.....

If we're content with average results, we could have just hired an average coach for an average salary.

We should all expect Mario to be the best. Dude is making a top 5 salary. Recruiting is supposed to be his one signature strength. No reason on God's green earth for him to not secure Graves, Bissainthe, Rogers, Kelly and Moss for ESD. Then get Florence and Stewart in February. Every single recruit i named is a Miami commit, a kid with high interest in Miami, or a Cristobal kid. And we have playing time and wide open depth charts galore to sell them at end, corner and even linebacker.
Nick Satan didn't rven do this when he was first hired by Bama.
The man just got here.
7VOr.gif

Advertisement
Back