Realistic Coaching Candidates

jzabl001

Redshirt Freshman
First of all, I don't understand the obsession with Butch. This is the same guy that walked away from our program when it was at its penultimate. The same guy who hasn't been hired by ANYONE in 4 years. The same guy who went 28-23 at UNC and had a losing conference record. Finally, did we forget that he had to leave Chapel Hill because the program was entrenched in an NCAA investigation. But, hey, let's hire a 62 year-old coach and have no eye for the future.

Realistically, it's going to take us going after a major coordinator or a mid-major HC to get his right and I really think it needs to be a guy with a defensive background. Here is who I'd target:

Pat Narduzzi (DC - MSU) - May have to back the brinks truck up for this one. Probably the least realistic person on the list but should be the first call we make

Kirby Smart (DC - Alabama) - Another longshot, but maybe he finally makes the jump to HC

Mark Stoops (HC - Kentucky) - He isn't winning at UK anytime soon. Obviously has been here in the past

Ruffin McNeil (HC - ECU) - Could be in line for a huge pay day so we may not be able to afford him anyways

Matt Campbell (HC - Toledo) - Probably the kind of guy we end up hiring

Geoff Collins (DC - Mississippi State) - Big fan of SEC defensive coordinators

Some offensive guys to consider:
Matt Wells (HC - Utah State) - Anderson is doing well at Wisco and this guy was his heir apparent. We could probably afford him too

Jake Spavital (OC - Texas A&M) - Would need an established DC like a Jim Leavitt but I trust anyone coming off the Sumlin coaching tree

Tony Levine (HC - Houston) - Another guy off of the Briles/Sumlin tree

Mike Norvell (OC - Arizona State) - Has done a great job with the ASU offense. Very young

Advertisement
realistically, Butch Davis.

Maybe Mark Stoops.

**** everyone else on your list. We don't need to hire a coordinator for on the job Head Coach training.

i'd take butch over any of those guys, he's the only proven team builder and talent evaluator out there that would take this job, and he's done it twice some of the guys he recruited and NC are among the best in NFL right now and we know what his miami guys did and are still doing in the league. i dont care about his age, bill snyder at kstate is old as **** and coached circles around golden look at how closely they just played auburn.if petrino can get a second chance after what he did why not butch, and its already been written he was cleared. why back up the brinks truck for a coordinator when they're is somebody proven sitting right there waiting? butch davis is what we need.

Advertisement
Stop with the coordinator suggestions. It would be another learning curve for them. We need proven winners. Hugh Freeze or Butch Davis.

Mark Stoops is probably the best candidate who might want this job seeing as he's been here before.

Aggressive defense, good recruiter and he would probably keep Coley which I wouldn't hate because he showed me the other night that he (unlike another coordinator) has balls and can go beat a ranked team on the road with a freshman QB.

Advertisement
also with butch leaving. what top college coach doesnt want to try to coach in NFL? its competitive nature. i am willing to forgive hm because he always admits it was a mistake. problem is he got screwed by browns. if he won 2 superbowls like Jimmy did, everyone would understand.

Why would Stoops leave the SEC for us? Because our "history" was good or because he coached here. Come on now. UK is in much better shape then us for the future.

Some guys need a dose of reality.

Miami isn't getting any current SEC coach. Hugh Freeze makes 1 million more than Golden, and he lives in a college town. Mark stoops is set to have a salary increase year after year where he is going to make 2.7 in a few years.

The only reason Butch would it is if he didn't have any other options.
Miami will have to get a lower level HC or a coordinator with NO
Head coaching experience.

Also for all the Butch clamoring, in year 4 of his reign he lost 4 games, ECU was one of them, and he also lost to VT by 33 in year 4.

He was named botch Davis by fanbase.

They called Lane Stadium the house that Botch built.

They called his gameday coaching "Botchilism".

Advertisement
Some guys need a dose of reality.

Miami isn't getting any current SEC coach. Hugh Freeze makes 1 million more than Golden, and he lives in a college town. Mark stoops is set to have a salary increase year after year where he is going to make 2.7 in a few years.

The only reason Butch would it is if he didn't have any other options.
Miami will have to get a lower level HC or a coordinator with NO
Head coaching experience.

Also for all the Butch clamoring, in year 4 of his reign he lost 4 games, ECU was one of them, and he also lost to VT by 33 in year 4.

He was named botch Davis by fanbase.

They called Lane Stadium the house that Botch built.

They called his gameday coaching "Botchilism".

You don't know anything. You don't know what the BOT, Shalala or Blake James are thinking or will do, so stop. Also, in bold, is a lie. What was the point of even stating that?

Marcus+Mariota+Oregon+Spring+Game+FChq-Ud3279l.jpg

Jim Leavitt would not be a DC for Miami. He was the head coach at USF and while the break up was bad, he still loves the program. His next stop is an NFL DC position.

Advertisement
I don't get the Scott Frost admiration. He's been a coordinator 2 years running an offense that isn't even his. I mean Mark Helfrich was the team's previous coordinator and he's still tryna fill Chip Kelly's shoes. We've failed on 3 unproven coaches, why hire another unproven one?

Kirby Smart is a name that interest me. Miami would probably be a stepping stone to a top SEC gig with him though.

The reason so many of us yell Butch, Butch, Butch, is because only Howard's NC came without players recruited by Butch Davis. He recruited JJ's players, left Dennis loaded with even more, and then came back to empty store and recruited the finest collection of talent EVER assembled for Coker to win one, get cheated from another and blow winning a couple more. Butch wants to come back and will take the money. I prefer he come back as DC for some other HC. Sam said never hire a assistant, so I say no to any now HC candidates. Stoops may work. I would like Chud, but the ESU guy has to get a look. But whoever it is, I want Butch as DC and recruiting Czar. ****, I'll take Butch as president of THE U IF he could still recruit.

Advertisement
Back