Realistic coaching candidates

Granted, Coach L knows good stuff and has achieved greatness in basketball. And deserves credit for this year's (limited) success (thus far) because even a bad cook can spoil a meal despite top ingredients and recipe. And basically he sure knows how to cook (as well as dance.)

He has recently energized Sam (at times) and allowed some younger players to shine (at times) while letting genuine ACC-high-caliber veteran starters do their thing (mostly well) - Wong, Kam, and Charlie. With a fair amount of luck and ACC parity (and recent FSU and Wake doldrums) and despite low-NET tendencies and some game-time head-scratchers, here we find ourselves literally thriving in March! Yay! Thanks Jim, and I sure hope it continues!

However: Roster management, schemes, recruiting, handling of Rodney and Gak and Cross and Chris and others don't rate an A+, or anything close to it, in my opinion after closely studying and observing every game and nuance for many years. Even with NCAA hocus-pocus and injuries and limited fan support to point at, I'm still not convinced this extension is an excellent development for Miami basketball. However, sure could be worse and I do doubt there are a good many affordable and willing palate-pleasing candidates for satisfying replacement just waiting for a phonecall out there.

I will continue to savor and enjoy all the delicious meals he cooks up going forward and hope there are many. I will also moan about any less than tasty performances, and hope there are few. I tend to doubt it, but as always, will be happy to eat my words!

Advertisement
However: Roster management, schemes, recruiting, handling of Rodney and Gak and Cross and Chris and others don't rate an A+, or anything close to it, in my opinion after closely studying and observing every game and nuance for many years. Even with NCAA hocus-pocus and injuries and limited fan support to point at, I'm still not convinced this extension is an excellent development for Miami basketball. However, sure could be worse and I do doubt there are a good many affordable and willing palate-pleasing candidates for satisfying replacement just waiting for a phonecall out there.
I think "roster management" has been a silly complaint. As if Larranaga *managed* to not sign a recruiting class in 2018 or that he *managed* to have his best player ruled ineligible days before the season started. Those things happened to him. He didn't manifest them.

Just like I think his "handling" of those players is a curious word.

You think Rodney Miller is who he is because he was "handled" poorly?

Or that Deng Gak was handled into his current situation? Gak was injured for most of two seasons. He was a project when he signed. Projects need time and minutes to develop. Larranaga has a track record of developing guys that here (Jekiri, Izundu) but they got consistent minutes that ramped up over 4 years.

Matt Cross got kicked off the team and somehow that's Larranaga's fault? This screams confirmation bias. People were already hating on him and so when Cross was jettisoned people reflexively thought that the problem was with the coach. Yet Cross went to Louisville and now they suck and Miami is 22-9. Somehow the obvious conclusion eludes people.

I don't even understand the "handling" of Chris Lykes. He's a 5'7" ball dominant guard. You can't be a good team if he's your best player. He was forced into being our best player after his freshman year because (insert Adidas scandal and Heull suspension). Again, he left and we're better. The obvious conclusion eludes people.

I think "roster management" has been a silly complaint. As if Larranaga *managed* to not sign a recruiting class in 2018 or that he *managed* to have his best player ruled ineligible days before the season started. Those things happened to him. He didn't manifest them.

Just like I think his "handling" of those players is a curious word.

You think Rodney Miller is who he is because he was "handled" poorly?

Or that Deng Gak was handled into his current situation? Gak was injured for most of two seasons. He was a project when he signed. Projects need time and minutes to develop. Larranaga has a track record of developing guys that here (Jekiri, Izundu) but they got consistent minutes that ramped up over 4 years.

Matt Cross got kicked off the team and somehow that's Larranaga's fault? This screams confirmation bias. People were already hating on him and so when Cross was jettisoned people reflexively thought that the problem was with the coach. Yet Cross went to Louisville and now they suck and Miami is 22-9. Somehow the obvious conclusion eludes people.

I don't even understand the "handling" of Chris Lykes. He's a 5'7" ball dominant guard. You can't be a good team if he's your best player. He was forced into being our best player after his freshman year because (insert Adidas scandal and Heull suspension). Again, he left and we're better. The obvious conclusion eludes people.
Something positive happens to UM basketball = Coach L had everything to do with it.

Something negative happens to UM basketball = Coach L had absolutely nothing to do with it and anyone who questions that doesn’t know anything.

See the issue here?

Something positive happens to UM basketball = Coach L had everything to do with it.

Something negative happens to UM basketball = Coach L had absolutely nothing to do with it and anyone who questions that doesn’t know anything.

See the issue here?

This is so facile that it's embarrassing. I'm able to objectively analyze the actual positives and negatives and accurately assign credit/blame. I'm sorry that aren't able to do so.

From 2004-11, Miami had 1 NCAA Tournament appearance and didn't have a single winning season in the ACC. From 2011-18, they had 4 NCAA Tournament appearances and 6 winning seasons in the ACC.

I'm not a rocket scientist but I think there's a causal relationship between that "positive" and Larranaga's arrival.

The negatives (2018-21) were almost entirely due to the Adidas scandal and Dewan Heull's ineligibility. The only other negatives that have been identified are injuries and players getting kicked of the team/transferring.

If you were able to argue that the positives are not entirely about Larranage you would do that but you can't. Likewise, if you were able to argue that the negatives were about Larranaga you would do that as well but you can't.

Advertisement
This is so facile that it's embarrassing. I'm able to objectively analyze the actual positives and negatives and accurately assign credit/blame. I'm sorry that aren't able to do so.

From 2004-11, Miami had 1 NCAA Tournament appearance and didn't have a single winning season in the ACC. From 2011-18, they had 4 NCAA Tournament appearances and 6 winning seasons in the ACC.

I'm not a rocket scientist but I think there's a causal relationship between that "positive" and Larranaga's arrival.

The negatives (2018-21) were almost entirely due to the Adidas scandal and Dewan Heull's ineligibility. The only other negatives that have been identified are injuries and players getting kicked of the team/transferring.

If you were able to argue that the positives are not entirely about Larranage you would do that but you can't. Likewise, if you were able to argue that the negatives were about Larranaga you would do that as well but you can't.
Again, we can agree to disagree on the Adidas "cloud". I'm not willing to absolve Coach L of ALL responsibility for the last 3 years. You are. Ok, fine. Nothing wrong with disagreeing on that. What I don't feel the need to do is belittle anybody that differs from me slightly in their beliefs. Or get on a message board and tell strangers how much smarter I am than them. There's a saying about mud wrestling with a pig... Everybody gets dirty, but only the pig enjoys themself. You are the pig in this scenario.

Again, we can agree to disagree on the Adidas "cloud". I'm not willing to absolve Coach L of ALL responsibility for the last 3 years. You are. Ok, fine. Nothing wrong with disagreeing on that. What I don't feel the need to do is belittle anybody that differs from me slightly in their beliefs. Or get on a message board and tell strangers how much smarter I am than them. There's a saying about mud wrestling with a pig... Everybody gets dirty, but only the pig enjoys themself. You are the pig in this scenario.
Sure, you can do whatever you want which at this point seems to be to stick your fingers in your ears and scream as loud as you can so as to not introduce facts contrary to your preconceived position.

If you feel like I'm belittling you then I guess that's on you.

I'm pushing back on your claims and you have no recourse other than to do this.

Sure, you can do whatever you want which at this point seems to be to stick your fingers in your ears and scream as loud as you can so as to not introduce facts contrary to your preconceived position.

If you feel like I'm belittling you then I guess that's on you.

I'm pushing back on your claims and you have no recourse other than to do this.
This post perfectly summarizes what your problem is. You have created this scenario in your head. I have made no "claims". I have spoken complimentary of Coach L and his staff this season. I have simply stated my personal opinion on the state of Miami basketball. A very reasonable one at that, as I clearly am of the opinion that I'm fine with the extension. Why you feel the need to "push back" on another man's opinion speaks to your insecurity as a person and lack of emotional development. I am under no obligation to justify myself to a sad little internet tough guy. You are an embodiment of everything that is wrong with the world, internet, and social media in 2022.

You have created this scenario in your head. I have made no "claims".

A list of claims you've made.

As I’ve said all season, I think to get to the next level (regular tournament team, elite eight upside) it’s going to take an upgrade

I said regular tourney team with occasional elite eight upside. I don’t think that’s unrealistic by any means.

I guess I’m just not as willing to use the Adidas “scandal” as the sole reason for the last 3 years. Certainly had an impact, but Coach L and his staff also have to shoulder some blame for the roster management abortion of the previous 3 years.

I happen to believe there’s another level Miami basketball is capable of getting to. Is that so ridiculous and unreasonable?

Advertisement
A list of claims you've made.
Good lord. Those are my opinions. I don't care if you don't like them. At this point I genuinely feel bad for you. Somebody in your life has done you very wrong and left you a miserable wreck. I urge you to seek professional help. There is no stigma about mental illness in 2022.

I have simply stated my personal opinion on the state of Miami basketball. A very reasonable one at that, as I clearly am of the opinion that I'm fine with the extension. Why you feel the need to "push back" on another man's opinion speaks to your insecurity as a person and lack of emotional development. I am under no obligation to justify myself to a sad little internet tough guy. You are an embodiment of everything that is wrong with the world, internet, and social media in 2022.

There's no problem stating an opinion. The issue is that you have absolutely no backing or arguments for it whatsoever. You just say it and then when someone pushes back you freak out and say that you have a right to an opinion.

Again, nobody said you didn't.

Then you respond by saying that you don't have to support your claims.

Great.

Then what's your point here? If your goal is to just monologue then you can do that by yourself.

The fundamental issues are this:
  • You claim that it's reasonable to expect us to achieve things that the program has never done (Occasional Elite 8)
  • You claim that we need an upgrade to reach your desired standard (even though the standard you employ was most closely achieved under the current coach)
  • You claim that the Adidas scandal wasn't the sole reason that we didn't reach your standard (Except that it immediately caused the tournament streak to end and once we got some injury/portal luck we are right back in the tournament)

Good lord. Those are my opinions. I don't care if you don't like them. At this point I genuinely feel bad for you. Somebody in your life has done you very wrong and left you a miserable wreck. I urge you to seek professional help. There is no stigma about mental illness in 2022.

It's not that we don't like them.

It's that you seemingly just formed them out of thin air given that you have absolutely no facts and no support for them whatsoever.

And then you freak out when somebody on a message board asks you to show your work.

It's not that we don't like them.

It's that you seemingly just formed them out of thin air given that you have absolutely no facts and no support for them whatsoever.

And then you freak out when somebody on a message board asks you to show your work.
"We" don't like them? Pretty bold of you to lump the rest of the bored in with your nonsense. Your lack of self-awareness is mind blowing. There's only 1 person here freaking out today. Did it ever occur to you that maybe I just have no interest or time to engage with someone like yourself about a stupid 2 year contract extension for a coach? There's a game on in 30 minutes so I'm going to move on to that. Wishing you all the best in your mental health journey.

Advertisement
Excessive Bumping
"We" don't like them? Pretty bold of you to lump the rest of the bored in with your nonsense. Your lack of self-awareness is mind blowing. There's only 1 person here freaking out today. Did it ever occur to you that maybe I just have no interest or time to engage with someone like yourself about a stupid 2 year contract extension for a coach? There's a game on in 30 minutes so I'm going to move on to that. Wishing you all the best in your mental health journey.

Sure.

I had 6 people like my initial post on this topic. I'd say that there's definitely a "we" that can see how naked your claims are.

You seemingly have plenty of time and will to engage with me. Your problem is that you just have no substance at all which is why all of your posts are empty filibustering like the one above.

You've got nothing.

Sure.

I had 6 people like my initial post on this topic. I'd say that there's definitely a "we" that can see how naked your claims are.

You seemingly have plenty of time and will to engage with me. Your problem is that you just have no substance at all which is why all of your posts are empty filibustering like the one above.

You've got nothing.
:rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg::rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg::rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg::rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg: 6 whole people liked your post!? That's the quote of the day. Absolutely awesome, thank you for that. Enjoy the game.

Advertisement
I see you @Hale Fieldhouse.

Coming for my role of fact and reality based defender/proponent of Coach L on this board.

This is a tough crowd, but you’re doing God’s work.
Defending Coach L from the vicious attack in which I stated numerous times I’m fine with the extension? You folks would be a fascinating case study. You’ve managed to fabricate an entire false narrative in your heads in which Coach L has been attacked via CIS and just run with it.

Last edited:
Defending Coach L from the vicious attack in which I stated numerous times I’m fine with the extension? You folks would be a fascinating case study. You’ve managed to fabricate an entire false narrative in your heads in which Coach L has been attacked via CIS and just run with it.

You figure out that he runs a structured offense with different concepts against man versus zone yet?

It’s actually a little scary that you could think coach L doesn’t literally get unfairly and wrongfully attacked on this board.

You figure out that he runs a structured offense with different concepts against man versus zone yet?

It’s actually a little scary that you could think coach L doesn’t literally get unfairly and wrongfully attacked on this board.
Huh? I have never once spoke on Coach L’s strategy vs man compared to zone. But don’t let the truth get in the way of this fun little narrative you’ve created about me in your head.

Huh? I have never once spoke on Coach L’s strategy vs man compared to zone. But don’t let the truth get in the way of this fun little narrative you’ve created about me in your head.

Dude I don’t know or care who you are or why you decided to try to troll me. But you’re living in LALA land if you think Coach L isn’t unfairly and ignorantly attacked on this board.

Now go troll someone else.

Advertisement
Back