Realistic coaching candidates

Miami: The Hurricanes have been ravaged by injuries this season, with preseason NCAA tournament hopes falling by the wayside rather quickly. It will be the school's third consecutive season without an NCAA tournament appearance, and its third straight season finishing considerably below .500 in the ACC. But Jim Larranaga -- who has all three of the program's 25-win seasons and two of its three Sweet 16 appearances -- still has three years remaining on his deal, three quality recruits entering the program and would be owed more than $6 million should Miami decide to move on. I'm told the 71-year old has no desire to retire, either.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...ide-2021-college-basketball-coaching-hot-seat

Good read on current openings, the coaches that are or could be on the hot seat and who replacements could be. For what it's worth article says Frank Martin could be looking to make a move and would be a logical candidate if Miami job opens up. Wasn't aware that this had happened, but article also mentions that Chris Mooney (Richmond HC) had turned down Miami offer in the past.

Thank you for posting. I wondered if Miami was on the list.

Advertisement
Food for thought:

Buying out coaches contract is not hard. It really comes down to your ability to generate revenue. For example:

6500 fans x $30 per ticket total $195k per home game. Parking fees, concessions, programs and merchandise were not included.

$195k x 15 home games total $2,925,000 million dollars. Again, parking fees, concessions, programs and merchandise were not included.

Making the NCAA tournament gets each school between 1 and 3 million dollars depending on how many teams and wins each conference has in the tournament.

I know at most schools, football pays for all the other sports. However at Miami, men's basketball and baseball really should generate more than enough revenue to support themselves.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm not sure we have any Seniors that "foreign leagues" would be all that interested in.

Actually, all of the seniors will make a lower division league overseas. None of them can play in the Euro league but there is a division for each of them.
Sam will definitely play in the NBL as he is from New Zealand.
In a way, his comment highlights his inability to develop talent.

I'm a big Lykes fan but I'm not sure how Euro leagues would view him. He's just so small, not really a PG/distributor, how's he gonna defend?? Regardless, even if signed, I don't see any team opening their wallet very wide.

IF Lykes can bounce back from this injury, he'll make six figures playing ball over seas at some point. I don't think he'll be able to do it right off the bat if he were to leave after this season, but I do think at some point he'll get to that level. May take him a year or two to do so.

Advertisement
Advertisement
"Interesting" Coaches/Conferences to Watch

Mountain West: Utah State/Craig Smith

- They're .5 games back in the conference
- Very solid conference. SDSU is ranked #19 and tied for first with Colorado State. Also have BSU in 4th, slightly behind.

Western Athletic: New Mexico State/Chris Jans

- Not a good year for them. They're currently 3.5 games back. Grand Canyon is in first.
- It would not shock me if they're only 1.5 games back going into the conference tourney.

Big West: UC Irvine/Russell Turner

- Currently in second behind UC Santa Barbara (coached by Joe Pasternack, potential name to watch).
- You know not many people care when sources have UCI with different records for this season (in conference):
ESPN: 8-4
Google News: 10-4
Sports Ref: 11-4
- Would not be shocked if there only 1 game back going into the conference tourney.

I am of the belief that any of the above, should they win their conference tourney, are gone to a better opportunity.

- Very solid conference. SDSU is ranked #19 and tied for first with Colorado State. Also have BSU in 4th, slightly behind.

- Not a good year for them. They're currently 3.5 games back. Grand Canyon is in first.
- It would not shock me if they're only 1.5 games back going into the conference tourney.

- Currently in second behind UC Santa Barbara (coached by Joe Pasternack, potential name to watch).
- You know not many people care when sources have UCI with different records for this season (in conference):
- Would not be shocked if there only 1 game back going into the conference tourney.

I am of the belief that any of the above, should they win their conference tourney, are gone to a better opportunity.
Turner is an intriguing candidate. He was an assistant at Wake Forest for 6 years, so he has some ACC ties. He was also an assistant for the Golden State Warriors for several years. He's made UC Irvine a consistent winner in the Big West.

Turner is an intriguing candidate. He was an assistant at Wake Forest for 6 years, so he has some ACC ties. He was also an assistant for the Golden State Warriors for several years. He's made UC Irvine a consistent winner in the Big West.

He reminds me of Musselman, who was at Nevada and is now doing incredibly well at Arkansas.

- Both had NBA experience, Musselman with more and NBA HC experience.
- Both on the West Coast but both coached on the East Coast too.
- Both revived "dead" programs. In fact UCI had no success prior to Turner.
- Both in their 50s.
- Both dominated their conference. In the 4 seasons prior to Arkansas, Musselman had a 75.4% winning % in conference. Not including this season, in the prior 4 seasons, Turner has a 79.6% winning % in conference.

I don't know how UC Irvine got Turner but IMO he certainly deserved a better opportunity, based on his tenure, in 2010 when he took that position. Coaching under Mike Montgomery and Don Nelson is pretty darn good experience.

As for the names above:

1. Utah State/Craig Smith won both games. They're currently in second in the Mountain West because of winning %. SDSU is 14-3 (82.4%) in conference and Utah State is 15-4 (78.9%). Utah State is zero games back but will be ranked second in the tourney. Please note that Utah State beat SDSU both times this season.

2. NMSU/Chris Jans won both games. They're currently in third in the Western Athletic Conference. They were only able to make up 1 game on Grand Canyon.

3. UCI/Russell Turner won both games. They're currently in second in Big West Conference and UCSB played 2 more conference games than UCI. In addition, UCI beat UCSB in both conference games this season.

Advertisement
Back