Realistic coaching candidates

This is not a post saying I think L should come back. This is an honest question. Does anyone actually think L is stepping down? I don't.

Nope. His ego is too big to go out on such a terrible season, and he has 3 seasons on his contract still. Thanks Flake

Advertisement
Three names, each knocked out in the finals:

1. Craig Smith: Utah State

- Lost to #19 San Diego State (SDSU was 1st in the conference)
- Beat SDSU both times during the regular season

2. Russell Turner: UC Irvine

- Lost to UCSB (UCSB was 1st in the conference)
- Beat UCSB both times during the regular season

3. Chris Jans: New Mexico State

- Lost to Grad Canyon (GC was 1st in the conference)
- Lost 3 times this year to GC

----------------------

I mentioned this name before, but the future may look bright for a...***

Joe Pasternack (43) HC at UC Santa Barbara

Seasons Coached (current program): 4
NCAAT Appearances: 1
Conference Champs: 1
Furthest Into NCAAT: Whatever happens this year...
2019-20 Season: 21-10 (10-6) [Tied for 2nd, No Conference Tourney]
2020-21 Season: 22-4 (13-3) [Win the Big West Tourney]
Salary: $358K - $410K (I've seen it everywhere in between)

Random Notes:

1. He was already an HC at New Orleans. He took the job after Buzz Williams. He did not do a good job at New Orleans. I believe he was only 30 years old when he took this gig.
2. He was an assistant coach under Sean Miller at Arizona for 6 seasons.
3. He was an assistant coach under Ben Braun at Cal for 6 seasons. They went to the tourney 3 of those seasons.

----------

As for taking him today: No. He still needs to do more. He currently holds a conference win % of 69%. I'd like to see him replicate this season again. Maybe win a game in the NCAAT. He struggles against Russell Turner at UCI and I think he is the best coach in the Big West. Pasternack is 3-7 against Turner over the last 4 seasons.

You're really comparing two coaches who got hired by two different AD's? Not saying that Oats isn't a better coach but Alabama's commitment to basketball was nowhere near it is now when Grant was there

Are you ATXCane86? If so, we had this discussion and it was disproven. You just are making an excuse.

-

I thought this was already disproven. Bama cared about basketball, before Grant. This is simply an excuse.

A. Before Grant, Bama went after and hired Gottfried. Gottfried was doing great things at Murray State.
B. Gottfried coached at Bama for 11 seasons before he "resigned" but was fired. During those 11 seasons, Bama went to the NCAAT 5 times and made the Elite Eight. Bama fired Gottfried after two sub-par years. So clearly, Bama cared about hoops to fire Gottfried who took Bama to the NCAAT 5 out of 11 seasons.
C. Before Gottfried was Hobbs. He made the NCAAT 2 out of 6 years, both times to the Second Round.
D. Grant on the other hand went to the NCAAT 1 out of 6 years at Bama.
E. Johnson was after Grant, he went to the NCAA 1 out of 4 years. He was fired for sub-par performance.

Others did a much better job and all were fired for sub-par performance. They all did better than Grant too. Going back to Wimp Sanderson, Bama has expectations and Grant like the others, failed to live up to them. They didn't just start caring about hoops after he was fired. Since Gottfried, all of their hires can arguably make sense. Even Avery Johnson. He had a winning coaching record in the NBA.

Advertisement

No. I don't want him at Miami but Miami needs to make the same move.
Atleast he was recruiting in-state kids so it bought him an extra year.

Advertisement
Bring him back to South Florida!

I worked under him at FIU. Good coach, I like the Pitino Defensive system and he did well at FIU. But, baby Pitino was a MAJOR ******* to the players lol. Like excessively.
No thanks. He didn’t do well at Minnesota, so why would he have more success here?

Advertisement

I worked under him at FIU. Good coach, I like the Pitino Defensive system and he did well at FIU. But, baby Pitino was a MAJOR ******* to the players lol. Like excessively.

But he did bad at Minnesota. Really bad. He was 56-90 in conference. He had a losing conference record every season but one. He needs to go back to a lower program and work up again.

As I said before, if his last name was Clark, nobody would care.

Yea not sure what went wrong in Minny, i didnt follow him up there.

Just from what I've seen in practices with him, and his success at FIU, I thought he was a good coach.

But I get it didnt work out at Minny. Is Minny historically a hard place to succeed?

If you think the son was bad, you should sit in on one of his father's practices. HOLY 💩,!!! Felt bad for some of the kids. No doubt he's one of the best college coaches in the game, but personality wise horrible. *******, is being nice.

Will be interesting to see how Pitino, Jr. does in New Mexico.

Advertisement

This would be a great way for Coach L to leave Miami and find a safe place to land which no one would criticize.
Plus, it would be easier for him and his staff to recruit those kids from the DMV upward to the NE.
Maybe Caputo takes the job.

If you think the son was bad, you should sit in on one of his father's practices. HOLY 💩,!!! Felt bad for some of the kids. No doubt he's one of the best college coaches in the game, but personality wise horrible. *******, is being nice.

Will be interesting to see how Pitino, Jr. does in New Mexico.
I believe it lol. I've met SR before, he came to a few FIU games to watch. But he was polite on his visits lol.

What are the chances Jim falls a$$ backwards into the right answer?

Of course, the other way of looking at it is the rats are starting to jump ship.

Advertisement
Back