Realistic coaching candidates

Advertisement

This would be a great way for Coach L to leave Miami and find a safe place to land which no one would criticize.
Plus, it would be easier for him and his staff to recruit those kids from the DMV upward to the NE.
Maybe Caputo takes the job.

No way L goes back in time. Plus, it's NOT easier to recruit players from the DMV/northeast to George Mason than it is to Miami. Two different levels of ball and different recruits for those levels.

No way L goes back in time. Plus, it's NOT easier to recruit players from the DMV/northeast to George Mason than it is to Miami. Two different levels of ball and different recruits for those levels.

Coach L could sign a two year deal and then name Coach Caputo the coach in waiting at George Mason.
This would make him a hero in Fairfax.
He should do this asap because the Miami situation will not get easier for him.

Coach L could sign a two year deal and then name Coach Caputo the coach in waiting at George Mason.
All 8 Miami basketball fans will soon be up in arms demanding change... the heat is on!

I kid, I kid!

Advertisement
I don't think he cares to be a hero in Fairfax County. L's a New York City guy, with Providence College roots.

I believe PC unsuccessfully offered him their HC job, sometime after that Final Four appearance. I think, at this stage of life, Jim is right where he wants to be. Not interested in starting over anywhere else (and that's understandable at 71).

At some point, he'll decide the aggravation of coaching is no longer worth it. I'm pretty sure UM is his final basketball gig. He might even have said that somewhere along the line.

Yea not sure what went wrong in Minny, i didnt follow him up there.

Just from what I've seen in practices with him, and his success at FIU, I thought he was a good coach.

But I get it didnt work out at Minny. Is Minny historically a hard place to succeed?
I'm a Gopher season ticket holder, so I can speak to what happened to him.

One big issue he ran into was local recruiting. He relied more heavily on his assistants to do the day-to-day recruiting and probably wasn't seen around town as much as a head coach should. But what probably turned the tide against him fully was in the class of 2017, when they took out-of-state PG Isaiah Washington over the local McKinley Wright, and the way those recruitments went down did not go well with the local AAU scene, especially with D1 Minnesota. Not only did that turn out to be a bad evaluation (Washington busted, while Wright has shined at Colorado), but it had ripple effects on in-state recruiting ever since then (take out the 2018 class - all of which played for a different local AAU team which has since diminished in reputation - and he has failed to land anyone during a time period when Minnesota has had it's best period for local talent coming out).

His in-game coaching left something to be desired. I think he is pretty strong in developing a game plan going into a game, but was not great at making adjustments during the game when the opponent changes their plan. He could also be a bit too reliant on playing his top players to the point where they wear down a bit late in the year (Marcus Carr the past two years a prime example of this).

I don't think he is as bad of a coach as his Big Ten record reflects. He had some pretty rotten luck in 2017-18 with injuries, and that was tracking to be his best team (this was the team Miami beat in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge). It's not hyperbole to say that if that team stayed healthy, they were a 14-4 in conference team and not the 4-14 team that they turned out to be. But even if you give him that, he's still comfortably below .500 in conference. Minnesota may not be the best Big Ten job, but it also isn't one that should be a bottom feeder (schools like Penn St., Northwestern, Nebraska, and Rutgers). They should probably fit somewhere in the 7-10 range in the Big Ten, and 5 of the last 7 seasons, they finished 10th or worse (including that 2017-18 season).

He's still young, and I think he can become a good coach in due time. But he's merely decent right now, and the Big Ten will eat decent coaches alive. Leagues like the Mountain West, AAC, or Atlantic 10 make more sense for him at this time, and I don't think an ACC school should be considering him.

One big issue he ran into was local recruiting. He relied more heavily on his assistants to do the day-to-day recruiting and probably wasn't seen around town as much as a head coach should. But what probably turned the tide against him fully was in the class of 2017, when they took out-of-state PG Isaiah Washington over the local McKinley Wright, and the way those recruitments went down did not go well with the local AAU scene, especially with D1 Minnesota. Not only did that turn out to be a bad evaluation (Washington busted, while Wright has shined at Colorado), but it had ripple effects on in-state recruiting ever since then (take out the 2018 class - all of which played for a different local AAU team which has since diminished in reputation - and he has failed to land anyone during a time period when Minnesota has had it's best period for local talent coming out).

His in-game coaching left something to be desired. I think he is pretty strong in developing a game plan going into a game, but was not great at making adjustments during the game when the opponent changes their plan. He could also be a bit too reliant on playing his top players to the point where they wear down a bit late in the year (Marcus Carr the past two years a prime example of this).

I don't think he is as bad of a coach as his Big Ten record reflects. He had some pretty rotten luck in 2017-18 with injuries, and that was tracking to be his best team (this was the team Miami beat in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge). It's not hyperbole to say that if that team stayed healthy, they were a 14-4 in conference team and not the 4-14 team that they turned out to be. But even if you give him that, he's still comfortably below .500 in conference. Minnesota may not be the best Big Ten job, but it also isn't one that should be a bottom feeder (schools like Penn St., Northwestern, Nebraska, and Rutgers). They should probably fit somewhere in the 7-10 range in the Big Ten, and 5 of the last 7 seasons, they finished 10th or worse (including that 2017-18 season).

He's still young, and I think he can become a good coach in due time. But he's merely decent right now, and the Big Ten will eat decent coaches alive. Leagues like the Mountain West, AAC, or Atlantic 10 make more sense for him at this time, and I don't think an ACC school should be considering him.
Great breakdown. Interesting stuff regarding the local recruiting. Sounds like Uncle luke type of drama up there. It's interesting too that you bring that up because I thought he recruited great ay FIU. Brought in some really good transfers too.

But it seems that he still underperformed, which is surprising to me.

Everything you said here can just as well be said for Coach L, except for the last paragraph about still being young. Coach L and staff have alienated a lot of the local prep coaches and it shows with their in-state recruiting struggles. Also, has had his fair share of bad luck last few seasons and I know it's not the popular thing to say but I still don't think he's a bad coach. Just has a terrible staff.

This would be a great way for Coach L to leave Miami and find a safe place to land which no one would criticize.
Plus, it would be easier for him and his staff to recruit those kids from the DMV upward to the NE.
Maybe Caputo takes the job.

Caputo has a solid chance of getting this job, but I think it's Kim English's to lose. It's eye opening to see how popular those 2 guys are up in that part of the country. And it doesn't hurt that Caputo has some supporters in high places at George Mason.

Advertisement
Great breakdown. Interesting stuff regarding the local recruiting. Sounds like Uncle luke type of drama up there. It's interesting too that you bring that up because I thought he recruited great ay FIU. Brought in some really good transfers too.

But it seems that he still underperformed, which is surprising to me.
Pitino was really good at recruiting transfers. Of the five players that started the most games this season, 4 of them were transfers, and more often than not they were players that were expected to be around for multiple years. I think the short timeline of recruiting that occurs with transfers versus long term high school recruiting suits him much better. And he did bring in some quality high school talent as well (Amir Coffey and Daniel Oturu are in the NBA, Jordan Murphy is 2nd all-time in Big Ten rebounding, Nate Mason was 1st Team All-Big Ten). Just didn't have the depth beyond them outside of 2016-17 and what could have been in 2017-18, and you can maybe throw this year into the mix as well (were top 20 into January before falling off a cliff, aided by Liam Robbins/Gabe Kalscheur both getting hurt).

I could see him doing well at New Mexico, especially with the level of recruit he would be targeting in the Mountain West aren't going to be the 4 or 5 star guys that require 3-4 years of constant recruiting.

I don't think he cares to be a hero in Fairfax County. L's a New York City guy, with Providence College roots.

I believe PC unsuccessfully offered him their HC job, sometime after that Final Four appearance. I think, at this stage of life, Jim is right where he wants to be. Not interested in starting over anywhere else (and that's understandable at 71).

At some point, he'll decide the aggravation of coaching is no longer worth it. I'm pretty sure UM is his final basketball gig. He might even have said that somewhere along the line.

You make a valid point and that is why Miami's next coach needs to be a younger coach who wants to build a long term life and career here instead of someone who wants this to be their last job before retirement.

You make a valid point and that is why Miami's next coach needs to be a younger coach who wants to build a long term life and career here instead of someone who wants this to be their last job before retirement.
I agree. Only problem there is this program has to become a 'destination" job, not a stepping stone for young coaches. On thing at a time though and we do need younger blood.

Advertisement
I won't belabor the point, but put me in as another vote for Wes Miller at UNCG. They've become a perennial power in the So-Con which is a really good basketball conference, and has been rumored as Roy Williams' heir apparent at UNC whenever Roy decides to retire. We could beat UNC to the punch and nab him now.

They may not win, but they're back in the tourney as a 13 seed against FSU. Good chance to watch a team of his and how they play against a good ACC team.

I won't belabor the point, but put me in as another vote for Wes Miller at UNCG. They've become a perennial power in the So-Con which is a really good basketball conference, and has been rumored as Roy Williams' heir apparent at UNC whenever Roy decides to retire. We could beat UNC to the punch and nab him now.

They may not win, but they're back in the tourney as a 13 seed against FSU. Good chance to watch a team of his and how they play against a good ACC team.
I really like him too. He would be at or near the top of my list.

Advertisement

Yeah. As soon as the Carolina job opens, he is gone no matter what school he is currently coaching.

Matt Doherty didn't work out so well at UNC and he was highly regarded too. I'm not sure the Heels wouldn't shoot higher than a Wes Miller when Roy hangs it up.

Matt Doherty didn't work out so well at UNC and he was highly regarded too. I'm not sure the Heels wouldn't shoot higher than a Wes Miller when Roy hangs it up.
I agree w/the 2nd part of your post. If Miller is in year 2 or 3 at Miami when Roy steps down, UNC could still make a run at him, but might look elsewhere for a bigger name also. We don't know until we try - the hypothetical is moot if we don't try to make a change. If we're looking at the same time UNC is looking, then Miller is off the table for us.

Comparing Miller to Doherty though? Doherty had 1 year of HC experience at ND before UNC and was .500 in conference there. Miller has 10 years of HC experience at UNCG and a .620 winning percentage in conference (.576 overall), and 3 conference titles over those 10 seasons. Doherty was tossed in because of his name/pedigree, Miller has paid his dues.

The only thing I would have wanted to see out of Miller is more NCAA appearances than his 2 over 10 seasons. That being said, he's coached against other So-Con schools like ETSU and Wofford, who both have sent coaches to the ACC as of late (Steve Forbes at WF, Mike Young at VT). Those ETSU/Wofford teams kept UNCG from going to the tourney multiple times.

Advertisement
Back