Realistic coaching candidates

Advertisement
Honestly, I believe the next Coach will be Caputo or Adam fisher. Promotion is the most likely option.

You are probably right given Blake James is going to make the decision.
I guess it also depends is Coach L retires or gets fired.
If he is fired then I doubt any of the assistant coaches would stay around and keep take that job.

Pitino would drop everything he's doing and jump head first if he's given the opportunity to coach at Miami. Believe it or not, it's a dream situation for him.

I am not going to discuss this until the job is open, however, there are two guys Miami need not to consider.

Rick Pitino and Greg Marshall.

Advertisement
As for some names in this thread:

1. Anthony Grant: IMO, he needs to win the conference and conference tourney first at Dayton. I want to see much more success at Dayton. He didn't do a great job in the SEC and the ACC is much harder. He also inherited a good program from Archie Miller at Dayton. He should be dominating an inferior conference before you go for him.

As of now, no thanks.

2. Steve Pikiell (53 YO): He did a nice job at Stony Brook. Won the conference. Rutgers is an utter trash program and has been trash for some time. They haven't finish the season with a winning record since ________. They haven't had a winning record in conference since ________. Rutgers hasn't made the NCAAT in ~30 years. If he can somehow make the NCAAT at Rutgers, I think that would be impressive.

As of now, maybe.

3. Kevin Willard (45 YO): Look at his last 4 years, before they cancelled the off-season last year, 4 straight NCAAT appearances. Then last year he was tied for first in the conference at 13-5. He would have made the NCAAT and possibly had a good chance at the conference. In 2015-16, they were the conference champions. His teams are constantly ranked too.

As of now, would definitely consider.

Advertisement
As for some names in this thread:

1. Anthony Grant: IMO, he needs to win the conference and conference tourney first at Dayton. I want to see much more success at Dayton. He didn't do a great job in the SEC and the ACC is much harder. He also inherited a good program from Archie Miller at Dayton. He should be dominating an inferior conference before you go for him.

As of now, no thanks.

2. Steve Pikiell (53 YO): He did a nice job at Stony Brook. Won the conference. Rutgers is an utter trash program and has been trash for some time. They haven't finish the season with a winning record since ________. They haven't had a winning record in conference since ________. Rutgers hasn't made the NCAAT in ~30 years. If he can somehow make the NCAAT at Rutgers, I think that would be impressive.

As of now, maybe.

3. Kevin Willard (45 YO): Look at his last 4 years, before they cancelled the off-season last year, 4 straight NCAAT appearances. Then last year he was tied for first in the conference at 13-5. He would have made the NCAAT and possibly had a good chance at the conference. In 2015-16, they were the conference champions. His teams are constantly ranked too.

As of now, would definitely consider.
Bring me Chris Jans and call it a day.

Advertisement
Richard Pitino: No.
Given Archie's work at Indiana, I would have to disagree. Plus, this is year 5 for Archie at Indiana so all of his kids that were at Dayton are long gone.

Wow. His tenure at Indiana has NOTHING to do with how he left the Dayton program. Do you realize what you're saying?

Advertisement
Richard Pitino: No.

Wow. His tenure at Indiana has NOTHING to do with how he left the Dayton program. Do you realize what you're saying?

I am saying Archie has been gone from Dayton long enough that he cannot get any credit for the current status of the program.

Wes Miller is obviously a name you would highly consider. Nothing really needs to be said about him.

Some other names to consider (Not saying these are the guys I like):

Over 50

1. Randy Bennett at St. Marys

Seasons Coached (current program): 20
NCAAT Appearances: 7
Conference Champs: 1
Furthest Into NCAAT: Sweet 16

2. Scott Nagy at Wright State

Seasons Coached (current program): 5
NCAAT Appearances: 1 at Wright State and 3 at South Dakota State
Conference Champs: 1 at Wright State and 2 at South Dakota State
Furthest Into NCAAT: NCAA Second Round

Random Notes: He started coaching at South Dakota State in 1995. He took them from a D2 program to an independent to Summit League Champs

3. Ed Cooley at Providence

Seasons Coached (current program): 10
NCAAT Appearances: 5
Conference Champs: 0
Furthest Into NCAAT: Round of 32

I am saying Archie has been gone from Dayton long enough that he cannot get any credit for the current status of the program.

Building the program means the program was NOTHING and you built it into something. Basically like Coach L here.

In the prior 4 years before Grant came to Dayton:

1. 4 NCAAT appearances
2. Elite 8 appearance

That program was well established. Grant built nothing.

Advertisement
Back