REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Advertisement
ACC should wait it out this year. The Big 10 is in a weird situation coming up cause their tv rights expire in 2023.
My opinion put the full court on PSU. PSU has enough clout to pull ND in the ACC. Then you ask for SEC type money. You'd have the teams with enough star power to attract a lot of viewers every week.
I’m down for this.

Coaches will never agree to a salary cap.

Parity can only be improved by conferences realizing parity benefits all programs.
NFL teams compete on the field but the owners know the league is healthier when all teams have an equal opportunity to succeed. This does not guarantee equal outcomes, of course.

In order to ensure the sustainability of college athletics, instituting spending controls is the only solution. The vast majority of FBS football programs today are operating at a loss, because they're trying to keep pace with the high revenue earners who have the lucrative TV contracts, apparel deals, & ticket sales. For many of these programs, upwards of 70% of their revenue is being generated from governmental & institutional support. Who do you think is going to end up footing that bill? Tax payers & students that's who.

It's important to understand that college athletic depts. differ from professional sports & other private sector organizations in that they have a non-profit organizational structure. That means it's not attempting to maximize profit for it's owners & stakeholders. The financial decisions are mainly guided by mission. Increases in expenses tend to grow proportionally with increases in revenue. Income is reinvested by the organization to further it's mission, not create wider profit margins. Furthermore, college athletic depts. also differ from traditional non-profit organizations in two fundamental ways:

1.) College athletics are inherently a zero-sum game. The program's mission can only be successful, if another fails. (W's & L's). This zero-sum nature is what is fueling the perpetual desire of athletic depts. to constantly make new investments.

2.) Exponential growth in revenue. In the last two decades, FBS program revenue has grown by almost 70%. Faster than all other non-profit sectors during this time.

Non-profit incentives, revenue growth, and zero-sum competition, is what is driving the exponential increase in spending for college athletics. Despite unprecedented revenue growth in college athletics, the simultaneous growth in expenditures that followed, creates tremendous financial pressure for the vast majority of CFB programs that are not in the top quartile of revenue earners. This is why CFB is currently on a dangerous trajectory, and it's long term sustainability is very much in question. There are significant financial & competitive long term implications, that the vast majority of people are simply not accounting for.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The only ways that I can see Miami coming out of this (not to say there aren't other winning possibilities) in real good shape is if:

1. ND joins the ACC (they've given no indication they would).

or

2. Miami is invited to the SEC (not happening, so just stop).

or

3. Miami is invited to the Big 12. I really don't see this happening but if the SEC picks off all the big ACC cherries that culturally fit them (Clemson, FSU, UNC) the Big 10 might decide to expand bigly, geography be damned, and we could be in play. I think we'd fall somewhere after ND, USC, UCLA, Sanford, Oregon, Washington and Cal in the pecking order though.

Guess what? The future and health of Miami football resides with the convicts (ND).
Maybe if we became a member of AAU we'd get an offer from the B1G in the event the ACC Collapsed. But I don't think the ACC is collapsing like the B12. I think the ACC is stronger than they are. ND likely wouldn't want to join the ACC, but they also can't join any other conference.

I saw your post before and ignored it for a reason
Right now it's all about the money and who can secure the most, and best markets. These players are getting paid and everyone else wants to make sure the ROI is maximum
Precisely, it is all about tapping into TV markets. If you combine the East Coast and West Coast TV markets you get a huge conglomerate of TV markets, which would demand a huge TV contract, meaning a bigger pay out for each team.

East Coast teams play each other to avoid traveling across the country during the season and West Coast teams play each other during the season to avoid traveling across the country, then a neutral site game is played between the champions of both divisions somewhere like on the Dallas Cowboys Stadium.

Precisely, it is all about tapping into TV markets. If you combine the East Coast and West Coast TV markets you get a huge conglomerate of TV markets, which would demand a huge TV contract, meaning a bigger pay out for each team.

East Coast teams play each other to avoid traveling across the country during the season and West Coast teams play each other during the season to avoid traveling across the country, then a neutral site game is played between the champions of both divisions somewhere like on the Dallas Cowboys Stadium.
It's more than tv markets it's how many people are consistently watching your games. You need big name match ups.

In order to ensure the sustainability of college athletics, instituting spending controls is the only solution. The vast majority of FBS football programs today are operating at a loss, because they're trying to keep pace with the high revenue earners who have the lucrative TV contracts, apparel deals, & ticket sales. For many of these programs, upwards of 70% of their revenue is being generated from governmental & institutional support. Who do you think is going to end up footing that bill? Tax payers & students that's who.

It's important to understand that college athletic depts. differ from professional sports & other private sector organizations in one very important way, and that's having a non-profit organizational structure. A non-profit organization doesn't exist to maximize profit for it's owners & stakeholders. The financial decisions are mainly guided by mission impact, investment returns, and sustainability. With this in mind, it's easy to understand why increases in expenses tend to grow proportionally with increases in revenue. Income is reinvested by the organization to further it's mission, not create wider profit margins. Furthermore, college athletic depts. also differ from traditional non-profit organizations in two fundamental ways:

1.) The competitive nature of college athletics, inherently means that it's a zero-sum game. The program's mission can only be successful, if another fails. (W's & L's). This zero-sum nature is what is fueling the perpetual desire of athletic depts. to constantly make new investments.

2.) Exponential growth in revenue. In the last two decades, FBS program revenue has grown by close to 70%. Faster than all other non-profit sectors during this time.

The zero-sum competition, revenue growth, and non-profit financial incentives, is what is driving the exponential increase in spending for college athletics. Despite unprecedented revenue growth in college athletics, the simultaneous exponential growth in expenditures that followed, created tremendous financial pressure for the vast majority of CFB programs that are not in the top quartile of revenue earners. This is why CFB is currently on a very dangerous trajectory, and it's long term sustainability is very much in question. There are significant financial & competitive long term implications, that the vast majority of people are simply not accounting for.
Reduce scholarships to 60 and the imbalances will take care of themselves.

Advertisement
Agreed and already posted, suggesting a reduction to 70, or 65, but we’re busy with more fanciful scenarios.

Would need to reduce in phases, from 85 to 75, then down to 65 or 60. Less shock to the system, and let attrition take its course.

Last edited:
I doubt the PAC12 and ACC would agree to anything. No history between conferences.

I could see, possibly, the PAC12 and BIG10 creating an agreement on scheduling. There is the tradition of the Rose Bowl. This could be expanded to more OOC games between the two conferences, culminating in game already played when not part of the CFP.

A similar ACC-BIG10 arrangement would be interesting. Less travel, but without a history. Could the Orange Bowl game be converted to an annual ACC Champ-BIG10 champ game?

Last edited:
Fun fact, I was down to the Longhorns and the Canes when I was picking a College team to follow so I keep a closer eye on them than most non-ACC teams.

The Longhorns have been irrelevant for so long - I don't care how big Austin is and how rich they (and their boosters) are.

This is pure greed from them and Oklahoma. The rest of College football should try to trip them up anyway they can.
Curious, why is it pure greed?

Those organizations have a responsibility, dare I say a fudiciary duty, to take action that is in the best interests of their institutions/programs.

Our Miami BOT and ACC commish have the same.

If they don't merge with PAC12/SEC/some. variant, get used to the idea of a Miami relegated to G5 level.

Advertisement
Unless the acc folds, nd can not join a conference not called the acc for 15 more years.

the buyout is too big for us to leave to the sec. Fsu is broke so they are not going anywhere.

f the sec and us going to the big 12 makes zero sense. they are going to be a group of 6 conference. It would take miami and a minimum of 3 more teams to even get to 12 teams. That conference is done.

only conference we join would be if a new conference emerges that is coast to coast. This would be better then the sec.

Oh geez my bad I meant to write Big 10, not 12. You know, the "Big" conference with 14 teams lol. Typo. Yes Big 12 is toast.

I think the ACC makes a power play for ND and Penn St. ... Go big or go home.

On a side thought though... I'm really curious to watch some Big12 games this year, the way social media is going all bonkers, it definitely appears that some Big12 teams are truly ****ed-off big time. I can see teams like Oklahoma State., Kansas State, TCU, Baylor and Iowa State making things "personal" against them.

Curious, why is it pure greed?

Those organizations have a responsibility, dare I say a fudiciary duty, to take action that is in the best interests of their institutions/programs.

Our Miami BOT and ACC commish have the same.

If they don't merge with PAC12/SEC/some. variant, get used to the idea of a Miami relegated to G5 level.
Pigs get fed, hogs get slaughtered. The appetite for quick $$$ could lead to the long-term demise of the sport as a whole. If college football basically becomes a 2 conference monster (SEC & Big10), it will become NFL-lite and I'm not sure it would work as we already have an NFL.

The beauty of college football is it is a national sport, just about every state has at least one Division I team. Each game is important. Rivalries that are over 100 years old get played every year.

There is only so much TV money available for college football and if the vast majority of it goes to 2 conferences, it will become a much more regional sport. Plus, there has already been a tremendous loss of traditional rivalries in the last batch of conference realignment - Texas vs. A&M, Oklahoma vs. Nebraska, Nebraska vs. Colorado, Kansas vs. Missouri, etc. Now, with this upcoming expansion, even more rivalries will go out the window.

You can only mess with your product so much in the pursuit of money before you start to turn off your customers.

Advertisement
I doubt the PAC12 and ACC would agree to anything. No history between conferences.

I could see, possibly, the PAC12 and BIG10 creating an agreement on scheduling. There is the tradition of the Rose Bowl. This could be expanded to more OOC games between the two conferences, culminating in game already played when not part of the CFP.

A similar ACC-BIG10 arrangement would be interesting. Less travel, but without a history. Could the Orange Bowl game be converted to an annual ACC Champ-BIG10 champ game?
A BIG10/ACC merger with ND added should help repel the SEC from poaching the top teams from both leagues. there really is no other viable option.

Alabama - 7
Miami - 5
LSU - 3
Clemson - 3
Florida - 3
Nebraska - 3
FSU - 3
Ohio State - 2
USC - 2
Oklahoma - 2
Penn State - 2

Those are programs with multiple championships over the last 40 years, the mean age of anybody alive in the US. Yet, the SEC wants to form its own league without many of those teams. Yet Miami is treated as a completely irrelevant program. Almost every single school on that list went through a full decade of mediocrity during that 40 year stretch, Alabama included. Yet here we are.

The SEC is not guaranteed to be a powerhouse forever, yet here they are trying to steal that. If I was every other school that doesn't have an SEC patch on their jersey I would do everything in my power to ***** them over. If college football was my job at one of those schools I would make it my mission to make this play by them the biggest mistake they ever made.

I'm getting pretty tired of rich, power hungry deep south southerners.

This is why I think the smartest move- and one that virtually every fan outside of SEC country will agree on- is to just form a new collegiate amateur football association that excludes the SEC. The SEC schools have ruined CFB with the brazen cheating and have been allowed to get away with it for decades because certain teams are cash cows and the ncaa is in bed with them. Why is it so vital for 116+ schools to continue bending over for a dozen or so schools in KKK country?

The ncaa is a totally voluntary organization. The problem is there no bona fide alternative to the NCAA. An alternative collegiate association could implement the best ideas- I like @TemplarCane 's suggestion of reducing football scholarships to 60 or less to ensure greater talent distribution. I think a soft salary cap would be good as well - if, for example, the cap for a coaching staff is 10 million (all forms of compensation) and a program goes over, they have to pay a significant percentage tax to the Association that gets distributed to the other teams. There would be a legitimate enforcement of clear and unambiguous recruiting rules - schools that get caught cheating will get hammered. There are probably dozens of other rules to increase parity that the ncaa would never adopt because the SEC would cry foul as it would affect their monopoly. They like the ncaa exactly as it is.

The ncaa is a totally voluntary organization. The problem is there no bona fide alternative to the NCAA. An alternative collegiate association could implement the best ideas- I like @TemplarCane 's suggestion of reducing football scholarships to 60 or less to ensure greater talent distribution. I think a soft salary cap would be good as well - if, for example, the cap for a coaching staff is 10 million (all forms of compensation) and a program goes over, they have to pay a significant percentage tax to the Association that gets distributed to the other teams. There would be a legitimate enforcement of clear and unambiguous recruiting rules - schools that get caught cheating will get hammered. There are probably dozens of other rules to increase parity that the ncaa would never adopt because the SEC would cry foul as it would affect their monopoly. They like the ncaa exactly as it is.

By far, the most important changes that can be implemented in this situation is instituting spending controls. Spending controls are the most critical for three main reasons:

1.) It would break the link between revenue & expenditures, and prevent athletic program budgets from ballooning out of control. Halting cost growth eases the financial pressure on schools that aren’t at the very top of the revenue generating pyramid.

2.) It would limit the amount of resources available to one particular team, therefore making resource allocation more even across the board. Even if a program experiences a financial setback, they will still be able to support their teams at a reduced level of investment, instead of eliminating them.

3.) It will encourage savings, and athletic depts. will be able to build up meaningful reserve funds, instead of squandering it on short term priorities.

The biggest difference between Alabama & Akron, is not that Alabama can hoard 4 & 5 star talent, and Akron cannot. Even if you reduce scholarships, those players are not going to end up at Akron regardless. The biggest difference between the two programs is how much financial stress they are under, in order to field a football team. Akron is under so much duress, that eventually there is going to be no other option, but to board up, close shop, and get out of the football business. When that happens the entire fabric of the sport is beginning to fray. The way you determine integrity in the sport, is not by looking at what's occurring at the top. You determine it, by examining the bottom feeders. They are the ones that ultimately will determine whether CFB survives, or dies

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back