REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Advertisement
The only way anybody will be able to survive the NEW SEC, will be for the top schools in the BIG10, PAC 12, and ACC to amalgamate into a new league.

If I were the ACC, I'd make sure UNC/FSU/CLEMSON are in check. The SEC is coming and I don't blame them. Why compete when you can be the only game in town?

A few years from now, SEC teams could be making a guaranteed $100M/YR off TV money alone. Any AD not interested in that type of money should be fired immediately!

I don't think UM fits, or is even wanted, in the SEC. So hopefully, somebody is a power position understands into better to be proactive and looks for way to continue to compete, instead of begging fans come back years from now. They WILL have the best football $ can buy... and everything else that goes along with that!

Last edited:
Thing is, unless you can name one,...there's just literally no reason or incentive for Notre Dame to join a more-restrictive conference format.

They can get their own broadcasting deals w/TV networks to be on every week. They get to play virtually anyone and everyone as OOC opponents.

If and when they have this 12 game playoff format, they have even less of an incentive at that point, given the BCS deals they've had in the past.

Only teams having no room for OOC games could force them to do something (e.g.,...all teams starting their conference games AFTER a mini nonconference schedule year after year).

They'd be doing it at this point specifically to solidify the ACC conference,...that could then see a team jump to the SEC. So why do that instead of waiting for the College football world to explode? They're in a pretty comfortable spot in all this chaos.

Which is why I say go to a pod format with 1 more team and include them in the 16.
ND joining the ACC for all sports other than football included agreeing to play five ACC teams annually. Right there the ‘they get to play virtually anyone’ statis false. They play 5 ACC games, plus commitments to annual games with USC, Stanford, and Navy.

But, you’re correct, having their own broadcasting deal for their home games is important.

Right now, in 2021-2022, it makes sense for ND to remain independent in football. This could change with realignment, renewed TV deals, and CFP expansion. The ACC needs to be proactive and make football membership beneficial for ND, rather than react.

I would shoot for Baylor, TCU, and Ok ST to go with ND. Kick Duke and Syracuse out. That updating the talent level of the conference significantly.

ND joining the ACC for all sports other than football included agreeing to play five ACC teams annually. Right there the ‘they get to play virtually anyone’ statis false. They play 5 ACC games, plus commitments to annual games with USC, Stanford, and Navy.

But, you’re correct, having their own broadcasting deal for their home games is important.

Right now, in 2021-2022, it makes sense for ND to remain independent in football. This could change with realignment, renewed TV deals, and CFP expansion. The ACC needs to be proactive and make football membership beneficial for ND, rather than react.

Yes, I am aware of the 5 games. A solid mutual agreement in exchange for their other sports being within a conference.

With the current NCAA regular season limit capped @ 12, Let's review the math: 12-5=7 degrees of freedom to be flirtatious as you please. You can weaken your schedule as you wish,...and you can strengthen it as you see fit wherever you want. You get to take your recruiting reach on a national level for 7 games.

I'll use 3 of the 7 you mentioned - USC, Stanford, and Navy - to add to the point. The SEC supposedly wants their 16 teams pod system to swallow up 9 of your 12 allotted regular season games. As Notre Dame, if you're with USC, Stanford, and Navy, you are locked in and done. That's your 12 games and you can't go anywhere.

Given how they take advantage of recruiting and their national brand -- and given how much crazier these 2 metrics are about to get -- they'll only get married if they have to.

Too many that see current TV dollars while ignoring the NIL and playoff game shakeups that are coming for college football just don't fully understand investment and seeking return on investment (ROI) in the following years, which is precisely what is driving things right now.

Advertisement
getting ND to join the Conference is the only thing that gets ESPN to rip up the current TV contract( which is really bad). Luckily Jim Phillips is a smart guy who can help close the widening gap of the money the SEC and Big 10 get in tv revenue.

It's a decent program, but the big 12 has been on life support for years, they only have 10 teams and you need 12 teams for a conference championship game. If they were two decent schools available, they would have taken them by now. Houston can't go to bid despite begging for one
Actually, they got rid of the 12 team rule. Hence, the Big XII has had a championship game for the past 4 years.

Clemson has won multiple national titles and plays for the playoffs every year despite getting $10mm less per year in revenue. News flash, we don't pay players directly. That money goes towards coaching facilities and other sports. You can still make a ton of money through ticket sales and alumni gifts and everything else, and the money doesn't have to be exactly even to compete. In fact, Miami doesn't need a huge recruiting budget because their players are within 20 minutes away.
We aren't talking about short-term issues. We're talking long-term. Do you think Clemson will be able to keep having a top notch coaching staff if they continue to receive $10mm less a year from EACH team in the SEC? In 10 years' time, that would be $100mm of a disadvantage to each of the soon-to-be 16 SEC teams and even more of a disadvantage to the current 14 team Big 10.

You can only go off of your "brand" recognition for so long. There will be downturns for each school (coaches retire, bad recruits, just plain bad luck even). This is why $$$ is so important. It can help you get through those tough years so you can bounce back quicker. If any school can attest to that, it is Miami.

Yes, I am aware of the 5 games. A solid mutual agreement in exchange for their other sports being within a conference.

With the current NCAA regular season limit capped @ 12, Let's review the math: 12-5=7 degrees of freedom to be flirtatious as you please. You can weaken your schedule as you wish,...and you can strengthen it as you see fit wherever you want. You get to take your recruiting reach on a national level for 7 games.

I'll use 3 of the 7 you mentioned - USC, Stanford, and Navy - to add to the point. The SEC supposedly wants their 16 teams pod system to swallow up 9 of your 12 allotted regular season games. As Notre Dame, if you're with USC, Stanford, and Navy, you are locked in and done. That's your 12 games and you can't go anywhere.

Given how they take advantage of recruiting and their national brand -- and given how much crazier these 2 metrics are about to get -- they'll only get married if they have to.

Too many that see current TV dollars while ignoring the NIL and playoff game shakeups that are coming for college football just don't fully understand investment and seeking return on investment (ROI) in the following years, which is precisely what is driving things right now.
No argument. I’m not one to believe the ND-NBC deal is the sole reason ND remains independent. We have yet to see how NIL impacts recruiting, it’s been less than a month. CFP expansion has only been discussed.

What we do know is the $EC is driving CFB’s future, and the other conference are fighting for the front passenger seat. The Big10 is comfortablsitting there right now. The ACC and PAC12 are in the back seat. Once the $EC poaches OU and UT the Big 12 is stuffed in trunk.

The $EC is convincing the highest revenue (or at least in the top 3) CFB program, UT, to join. UT hasn’t won anything meaningful in over a decade, except a Sugar Bowl win over UGA. The Longhorns have stuggled in the Big 12. OU is winless in CFP games against the $EC. Yet, both programs are joining.

The ACC has a lot of work to do in order to do make ND think joining the conference for football makes sense in the long run. I don’t know the answer to that question.

Advertisement
Just imagine how much poutine Sherko could sell!
Funny good story about Sherko. My dad doesn’t eat nonkosher meat out of the house. When we were in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl, he found a kosher creole restaurant. Sat at the table next to Sherko, since he is Halal. That dude could polish off some kosher creole food. Super nice guy.

Also, there is a negative chance Penn State leaves the Big 10 payday to move here. Where does some of this stuff even come from.

I think the time is coming sooner than later. I just hope it is with the ACC and not the Big 10. ND actually makes less per year than every ACC school because of their partial membership. Here is some information I found:

"Notre Dame earned $7 million as a partial member, and its deal with NBC pays $15 million annually. Off NBC and ACC TV revenue, Notre Dame made $22 million, while each ACC school earned an average of $29 million, according to an ESPN report.Aug 3, 2020"

ND's current NBC agreement runs out in 2025, which coincidentally happens to be the year Texas and Oklahoma's grant of right's contracts run out with the Big XII. Wouldn't it be something if the ACC can figure a way to get ND along with Texas and Oklahoma? The TV rights would be ridiculous. It may happen as supposedly only 1 other SEC team would have to vote no in order to keep them out. It could be a Florida or Georgia who don't see the benefit of having Alabama on their yearly schedules as division rivals.

Houston doesn't have a lot of fans. That's a pro sports town, and the alums of Texas and A&m are much more into their school and their sports than alums of Houston, which is more of a commuter school. Just doesn't move the needle.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Nobody gives a **** about Houston. Ever heard their name in any other sport in recent times?

Big television market for sure. However, it doesn't matter when you consider the above.

The Hurricanes didn't have a massive fanbase in Miami either before Schnelly. Miami was a Dolphins town until the Canes started winning. Most Miami fans didn't attend UM. If Houston makes noise, casual football fans in Houston will start tuning in to watch UH.

You still gain more followers with WVU who give a crap annually than Houston. Houston is an Aggie and Horns town.

Also, the Big 10 makes far more sense than us for the Domers if they join a conference. The ACC is only an academic fit and a move by then would be about money.

Advertisement
We aren't talking about short-term issues. We're talking long-term. Do you think Clemson will be able to keep having a top notch coaching staff if they continue to receive $10mm less a year from EACH team in the SEC? In 10 years' time, that would be $100mm of a disadvantage to each of the soon-to-be 16 SEC teams and even more of a disadvantage to the current 14 team Big 10.

You can only go off of your "brand" recognition for so long. There will be downturns for each school (coaches retire, bad recruits, just plain bad luck even). This is why $$$ is so important. It can help you get through those tough years so you can bounce back quicker. If any school can attest to that, it is Miami.
I don't think the money delta is a killer, no. It's not like it's 10 million to zero. It's $125 million to $115 million or whatever (TV revenue plus gate plus local money plus booster club plus whatever, and I'm just making up those numbers because I have no idea, But I know the biggest biggest schools have $200 MM athletic budgets).

So yeah Auburn paying $20 million for the prior coaching staff to leave doesn't strike me as a competitive advantage. Yes you have to be smarter, yes you have to be more efficient, yes you have to hit successfully with young coaches, yes. But having an NFL stadium and the best recruiting area in the country is worth a **** of a lot more than $10 million dollars Delta.

Advertisement
You still gain more followers with WVU who give a crap annually than Houston. Houston is an Aggie and Horns town.

Also, the Big 10 makes far more sense than us for the Domers if they join a conference. The ACC is only an academic fit and a move by then would be about money.

ND legally cannot join any conference but the acc until around 2035. I thought the same as you but another poster here explained the terms of the agreement.

I don't agree on Houston. WVU has a student population of around 29k, Houston has 45k. So there will be a much larger alumni base. UH doesn't strike me as the type of school where a a significant portion of the graduates leave the city like they do with UM or Notre Dame. So I expect the alumni base living in and around Houston to be vastly larger than in Morgantown because Houston has a massive economy and Morgantown doesn't.

Last edited:
Funny good story about Sherko. My dad doesn’t eat nonkosher meat out of the house. When we were in New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl, he found a kosher creole restaurant. Sat at the table next to Sherko, since he is Halal. That dude could polish off some kosher creole food. Super nice guy.

Also, there is a negative chance Penn State leaves the Big 10 payday to move here. Where does some of this stuff even come from.

I think the PSU talk is based on the rumors the SEC is trying to poach OSU and Michigan. If they somehow get those two, I don't think PSU will want to stay in the big10

ND legally cannot join any conference but the acc until around 2035. I thought the same as you but another poster here explained the terms of the agreement.

I don't agree on Houston. WVU has a student population of around 29k, Houston has 45k. So there will be a much larger alumni base. UH doesn't strike me as the type of school where a a significant portion of the graduates leave the city like they do with UM or Notre Dame. So I expect the alumni base living in and around Houston to be vastly larger than in Morgantown because Houston has a massive economy and Morgantown doesn't.

As another said, Houston is a commuter school. It's nobodies first, second, or even third choice and they have a lot of students who are just taking classes to get a degree while working as they can't go full time. They're basically a big community college.

WVU is the only school that matters in that state. It's their school, West Virginia's. You get the entire state essentially. There's a reason they're in a big conference and Houston is stuck in a second tier conference.

Cincy would be a better choice than Houston.

Advertisement
Back