REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

That's actually a really solid conference... you'd need to add a few other teams but those names could carry a conference
Add WVU UCLA Wisconsin and a few other. It’s more national than the SEC and would have some nice matchups.

Id assume the SEC is going to get 4-6 teams in the new playoff and a conference like that would do the same.

Advertisement
Bro; TAMU is hella petty. One of my homies who’s an alum of UT said they left Nike b/c UT signed w/ them. Lol. They already went on wax saying they want to be the only school in TX to rep The SEC, so I can definitely see them go back. Now for the rest of what u said…..yeah bro, I had to turn off the tube. LOL!
Money trumps pettiness...

I’m seeing best case scenarios on this board with us joining the SEC. Honest question, do our sports programs as a whole make enough money for them to even consider us?

Money trumps pettiness...

Man, not always. Trust me. It depends on how petty & insecure u r. I’ve seen it (not on a multimillion dollar level), but at some high levels. It’s amazing what “pride” can do, including irrational decisions to a person’s detriment.

Let me sum up this paragraph: "I don't know anything about collegiate athletics, nor do I understand higher education management. However, I want to sound like I do, so I'll throw together this poorly reasoned nonsense and hope the idiots on this board eat it up"

Let's start with the basics, Miami has NEVER emphasized athletics. Why? Because this school is worth a ****, and you can't be a private institution and be managed that way and survive. In fact, most schools worth a **** don't emphasize athletics, because athletics are treated as a separate entity, managed and funded by people called BOOSTERS. The school in most cases have oversight, but there is usually a wall between academia and the athletic department. This is the UNIVERSITY of Miami, not Football Team in Coral Gables, that happens to be associated with some school.

UMiami was able to do something that has NEVER happened in college athletics, and that's win a ton despite never having a long term, legendary coach. This small private institution(That's something I bet that you didn't know, because I'm convinced you've never been on campus, nor even met an actual alum) was able to hit on 4 consecutive coaching hires in a 25 year span. Let that marinate. Most major programs that experience success usually ride one legendary coach for decades. Alabama(Saban/Bryant), OU(Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops), Penn State (Joe Pa), FSU(Bowden), Clemson(Ford, Dabo), Michigan(Crisler, Bo). Note that even when there's a second coach listed, there is usually a huge gap between those hires. Guess what, those schools with all their resources couldn't manage to follow a great hire with another good hire. Miami literally went from Howard, to Jimmy, to Erickson, to Butch. That's not a bad run, especially when Butch inherited a program falling apart after Erickson stopped giving a F.

Has this athletic department helped itself in the last 20 years with hires? No, because some of them had extremely low success probabilities. That said, Miami will never be managed like Alabama or Clemson, because our fanbase is and will always be trash. They don't donate, barely show up even when times are good and don't provide the community recruiting support that other schools receive. Miami has succeeded DESPITE having some of the worst fans in collegiate athletics, and that's something you can't overcome year in and year out.

The whole “blame the fans” narrative is hilarious.

“wahhhh the fans don’t donate enough wahhh wahhh”

Guess what bud, this is a UM FOOTBALL message board, not a university of miami board. Nobody gives a **** about your excuses. You want more donations? WIN SOMETHING.

This whole attitude that you should get something for nothing is laughable.

The fans aren’t the problem. The administration is. It’s their job to manage the program and give fans a reason to donate, and they’ve done a **** job.

But keep blaming the customer and see how far that gets you.

Advertisement
I doubt this happens. Ohio State and Clemson are currently cash cows at their current conferences. Why join the Super SEC and compete with Alabama, Texas, LSU and Oklahoma? What is the draw?

Also, I could be way wrong but wouldn’t they make more money going 13-0 making the playoffs as a top 3 seed and playing lesser ranked teams enroute to a championship, then going 8-4 and maybe squeaking in to the playoff? Unless you are a fan of those teams who’s gonna watch that nonsense?

Personally I don’t see the draw for that kind of conference at all.
It appears no one knows how football teams actually make money. Clemson would make more in the SEC by far, just due to tv revenue. excluding Donations and boosters, Vanderbilt makes more than Clemson off football

I don’t think anyone has it out for Miami. Nobody wants to see us die. The reason we’re not in discussion for the SEC is probably because we haven’t reached out. We don’t have a good AD who is on top of the situation IMO. We have Blake James.

The other thing that will hurt us is the fact that we haven’t won anything in years, and that we don’t have a stadium. That’s very bush league, and not a good look for the conference.

I would bet if the Big 10 or SEC does take us, building a stadium would be a requirement.

Really we’ve done this to ourselves by being cheap for 30 years and killing the golden goose. 1980’s Miami gets an SEC invite yesterday

I don't think, outside of some legit SEC racism it's very personal, I just think the move is to big, well-funded state schools with massive AD budgets and lots of olympic sports. I don't think they see us adding much outside of a legit TV market. We are not a "southern school," culturally, whatsoever. The fact that we are small and private does not help.

So once they decide there are better options (FSU, UNC and Clemson make 10x more sense, and UVA makes about 5x more sense IMO), then we are the competition, and they are best served to destroy us, so they can pick apart our assets (fan-base, viewership, recruits). And yeah, as sick as it makes me to say, if Miami gets destroyed and becomes a non-factor, the casual SFL fans who have no affiliation are going to pick UF and FSU, both SEC assets, when they choose a CFB team to root for. This is a sickening hypothesis, I know.

I'm a believer that CFB fans in general want to see national intrigue when it comes to their sports. They don't want to see the same regional teams fighting it out. That's why fans have become bored with watching Bama vs Clemson every other year in the championship. I personally believe that an ACC/B1G/PAC/BIG12 alliance (with the addition of ND, Navy, Army, Air Force, BYU and some other select schools) where there is a emphasis placed on creating as much parity as possible, would generate more TV revenue per team than the 16 teams the SEC is bringing together. People will get bored really quick with that SEC product. Sure, their regional fan bases will stick around, but the rest of the country will be watching the other league.

I agree with some of this, but I think you are asking the SEC and Big 10 to be charitable, and go against their greedy, human nature. It's a lot to ask. I think your model is outdated.

Advertisement
Yeah, just like A & M would never allow Texas in right? If there is one thing we should have all learned during the first round of expansion and now the beginning of the second it is- contractual obligations to hold a team in a conference or block a team from joining one are ******* meaningless. Those hurdles are stepped right over every single time. Unless the league members vote no on a school not a single one has been stopped from going wherever they want.
A&M just joined and obviously negotiated poorly as it should've been in the contract ~ no Texas if we join or we get a fools ransom if so. As for UF, they have been in the conference forever. You better believe they have clout and will not allow it.

I’m seeing best case scenarios on this board with us joining the SEC. Honest question, do our sports programs as a whole make enough money for them to even consider us?

It’s really up to ESPN. Miami is a valuable property, and we make for great TV. We will have no problem landing in a great spot as long as Blake James doesn’t **** it up.

If you want an idea how ESPN sees us, this article from April is telling. They think more highly of us than our own fans.

It could work for football, but travel would be definitely be tough for the other sports.
Which is something our dumbass fanbase doesn't account for. There are other sports that have to be accounted for, because you can't have a program without being Title IX compliant. In other words, you have to have women's golf, women's basketball, swimming and diving programs. Guess what? You don't want to blow a significant part of your new football riches sending the golf team to LA 2 times a year and the women's basketball team 4 times per year.

Advertisement
I don't think, outside of some legit SEC racism it's very personal, I just think the move is to big, well-funded state schools with massive AD budgets and lots of olympic sports. I don't think they see us adding much outside of a legit TV market. We are not a "southern school," culturally, whatsoever. The fact that we are small and private does not help.

So once they decide there are better options (FSU, UNC and Clemson make 10x more sense, and UVA makes about 5x more sense IMO), then we are the competition, and they are best served to destroy us, so they can pick apart our assets (fan-base, viewership, recruits). And yeah, as sick as it makes me to say, if Miami gets destroyed and becomes a non-factor, the casual SFL fans who have no affiliation are going to pick UF and FSU, both SEC assets, when they choose a CFB team to root for. This is a sickening hypothesis, I know.

So here’s another way to think about it. WHO is writing the checks for the SEC?

ESPN.

So you gotta think, if this realignment is all about TV deals and money, then it’s really ESPN execs in New York calling a lot of the shots behind the scenes. Not so much the redneck schools.

Check out this article from ESPN from back in April, and you’ll get an idea how they see us. I think we’ll be just fine.

Would the Gator and Alabama love to dismantle UM and take our ****? Yeah, but it’s not up to them. It’s always up to the man writing the checks.

A&M just joined and obviously negotiated poorly as it should've been in the contract ~ no Texas if we join or we get a fools ransom if so. As for UF, they have been in the conference forever. You better believe they have clout and will not allow it.
Their vote counts as 1, exactly as A & M's did. They have exactly the same amount of power. If at least 11 members would vote yes for the semenholes to join then that's exactly what would happen just like Texas and Oklahoma. Gaytors could sit in the corner and pout with A & M all they **** want, but in the end each team's vote counts as 1. You don't get 3 credit points because you've been around longer.

Michigan has a much greater “attitude” about being in the Big 10 than most understand. I grew up in Ann Arbor and graduated from Michigan. They act as though they invented football and the Big 10 is their personal conference ion which other schools are allowed to participate.
The big 10 also has some major media markets in Chicago and they added Rutgers and PSU to capture more of the northeast.

People keep bringing up Rutgers. They are NOTHING, and have been NOTHING for almost a full century. They don't capture the NYC market, they just happen to be the largest program in that area. The typical person in that part of the country doesn't care about college football, if they grew up there. That said, you have a lot of Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State alums in that area, and they care. Frankly, Rutgers managed to fail upwards, despite bringing nothing to the table. They needed another program to pair with Maryland when they moved, and Rutgers was pretty much the only "Major" program available.

Advertisement
The whole “blame the fans” narrative is hilarious.

“wahhhh the fans don’t donate enough wahhh wahhh”

Guess what bud, this is a UM FOOTBALL message board, not a university of miami board. Nobody gives a **** about your excuses. You want more donations? WIN SOMETHING.

This whole attitude that you should get something for nothing is laughable.

The fans aren’t the problem. The administration is. It’s their job to manage the program and give fans a reason to donate, and they’ve done a **** job.

But keep blaming the customer and see how far that gets you.

Yeah the SEC wants Oklahoma and Texas because of their administrations.

You’re literally the guy he’s talking about in the first part of that post.

Start our next roll ASAP B4 the ink is dry and we won’t b left holding the empty bags . Can’t ignore us if we’re on top !

Which is something our dumbass fanbase doesn't account for. There are other sports that have to be accounted for, because you can't have a program without being Title IX compliant. In other words, you have to have women's golf, women's basketball, swimming and diving programs. Guess what? You don't want to blow a significant part of your new football riches sending the golf team to LA 2 times a year and the women's basketball team 4 times per year.
You are quite the condescending one, huh? Buddy, you went to Miami, not Harvard, and that investment is losing money under Frenk. Take it down a notch.

That aside, there are plenty of schools that either have affiliate memberships in different conferences. We have no idea where this next chapter may take things. It is entirely possible that football goes separate from all of the other sports.

Where on your hierarchy of people who are allowed to have an opinion is a second generation alum who won’t give until Blake James leaves and they prove my money won’t be set on fire?

Advertisement
Back