REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Ha.
I will play this game with you.
Put them in Pods/ Groups of 4 to make sure travel does not get to out of hand.

West Semi in LA. East Semi in Miami. Championship Game rotated between LA, Denver, Charlotte, Miami.
It’s a cool concept. Seems far-fetched….but it might be necessary.

Advertisement
Miami vs USCw though.

View attachment 150432

More I think about it, a PAC12/ACC football-only super-conference would be very interesting. Would hopefully secure the marquee ACC teams (Clemson) from jumping to the SEC, and provide for some very interesting match ups. People (myself included) joke about how nobody watches the PAC-12, but I think a Miami/Clemson vs. USCw/Oregon has a lot more leverage for a prime-time TV slot on the east coast even if the game is being played on the west coast. Not to mention ESPN is likely going all-in with the SEC, maybe a PAC-12/ACC super-conference could negotiate a comparable media rights deal with FOX, CBS, Amazon etc.

The B1G strikes me as too arrogant to consider aligning with the ACC, they're more likely to reach out to Big12 scraps or marquee PAC-12 teams IMO.

Fun to speculate, will be interesting to see what the landscape looks like in 5 years.
That is a tough trip for NFL teams when they cross the country so it would be even tougher for college dudes. That said, it is intriguing and solid speculation on your part.

If this is happening, both the Big 10 and ACC will be adding teams. The Big 12 will collapse without OU and UT. If ND won't join full time, pick two of Kansas, TCU, or Baylor. Big 10 will probably take Iowa State and one of those three. Pac 12 will add Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and two more.
If anything that's a fantastic basketball league

That is a tough trip for NFL teams when they cross the country so it would be even tougher for college dudes. That said, it is intriguing and solid speculation on your part.
You could do it so teams only have to travel across the country once.

Play all 7 teams in your division, which would be your side of the country. Play 2 cross division games, with one being home and the other away.

You could do it so teams only have to travel across the country once.

Play all 7 teams in your division, which would be your side of the country. Play 2 cross division games, with one being home and the other away.
Could also play games on neutral fields.

Advertisement
Let me sum up this paragraph: "I don't know anything about collegiate athletics, nor do I understand higher education management. However, I want to sound like I do, so I'll throw together this poorly reasoned nonsense and hope the idiots on this board eat it up"

Let's start with the basics, Miami has NEVER emphasized athletics. Why? Because this school is worth a ****, and you can't be a private institution and be managed that way and survive. In fact, most schools worth a **** don't emphasize athletics, because athletics are treated as a separate entity, managed and funded by people called BOOSTERS. The school in most cases have oversight, but there is usually a wall between academia and the athletic department. This is the UNIVERSITY of Miami, not Football Team in Coral Gables, that happens to be associated with some school.

UMiami was able to do something that has NEVER happened in college athletics, and that's win a ton despite never having a long term, legendary coach. This small private institution(That's something I bet that you didn't know, because I'm convinced you've never been on campus, nor even met an actual alum) was able to hit on 4 consecutive coaching hires in a 25 year span. Let that marinate. Most major programs that experience success usually ride one legendary coach for decades. Alabama(Saban/Bryant), OU(Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops), Penn State (Joe Pa), FSU(Bowden), Clemson(Ford, Dabo), Michigan(Crisler, Bo). Note that even when there's a second coach listed, there is usually a huge gap between those hires. Guess what, those schools with all their resources couldn't manage to follow a great hire with another good hire. Miami literally went from Howard, to Jimmy, to Erickson, to Butch. That's not a bad run, especially when Butch inherited a program falling apart after Erickson stopped giving a F.

Has this athletic department helped itself in the last 20 years with hires? No, because some of them had extremely low success probabilities. That said, Miami will never be managed like Alabama or Clemson, because our fanbase is and will always be trash. They don't donate, barely show up even when times are good and don't provide the community recruiting support that other schools receive. Miami has succeeded DESPITE having some of the worst fans in collegiate athletics, and that's something you can't overcome year in and year out.

Jesus Christ. Someone that actually fūcking gets it.

I get that Miami is different. In a lot of ways the football team is this community’s team. I love the fact that it represents the diversity, the fact that we are a gateway to Latin America, it represents a certain urban culture that other teams don’t, but at the end of the day, we don’t have that solid booster foundation that is in place like in Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and even Florida.

This is what these drive-by, mouth breathing, buy a T-shirt every couple years posters here don’t get.

Yet they know everything about managing the sports at a private university.

Blame for bad hires and holding on to Golden to long, I’ll agree. Keeping Blake James as an uninspiring AD that lacks vision? Could be right. All the rest is ignorance.

As far as Shalala, I’ll tell you right now, in this environment, I wish she was our president.

She’s got the sharp elbows and political savvy to better get us through this, than the guy we currently have.

Now I’m just talking about sports, not about any other qualities, so everything else is irrelevant to talk about. But just look at how she handled the situation, when the NCAA was trying to bend us over. The NCAA literally ran for cover. That should give you a clue.

Seems terrible for the cities that house those schools…
Maybe for some schools. For other schools it may not be all that bad if they would draw empty stadiums for teams they have no connection with and are thousands of miles away.

We have seen other in- conference games played in Neutral sites in the past

Advertisement
Yeah travel would be a LIMFAC, they'd have to get creative with scheduling. But we're entering this supposed era of semi-professional CFB now, and a lot of programs are going to have to consider alternatives to the old way of business to stay relevant or even survive.

I think it could be done, especially if they leverage bye-weeks following cross-country games to the maximum extent possible. Obviously you wouldn't want teams flying cross-country 5 or 6 times/season, but with two bye-weeks I don't think 2 or 3 trips is unreasonable. That would give each team 2 or 3 home and 2 or 3 away games vs non-traditional conference opponents.

Again, fun to speculate but interesting to see where all the cards fall. I just don't want Miami left out in the cold in a scenario where ALL the SoFla studs want to play in a conference that will be viewed as the NFL minor-league.

A “coastal” based super conference with some TX teams sprinkled in could be legit.

Start with:

Canes
Trojans
Noles
Clemson
Oregon
Notre Dame
UNC
V Tech
UCLA
Baylor
TCU

…and go from there.

That would be a legit top tier.

Jesus Christ. Someone that actually fūcking gets it.

I get that Miami is different. In a lot of ways the football team is this community’s team. I love the fact that it represents the diversity, the fact that we are a gateway to Latin America, it represents a certain urban culture that other teams don’t, but at the end of the day, we don’t have that solid booster foundation that is in place like in Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and even Florida.

This is what these drive-by, mouth breathing, buy a T-shirt every couple years posters here don’t get.

Yet they know everything about managing the sports at a private university.

Blame for bad hires and holding on to Golden to long, I’ll agree. Keeping Blake James as an uninspiring AD that lacks vision? Could be right. All the rest is ignorance.

As far as Shalala, I’ll tell you right now, in this environment, I wish she was our president.

She’s got the sharp elbows and political savvy to better get us through this, than the guy we currently have.

Now I’m just talking about sports, not about any other qualities, so everything else is irrelevant to talk about. But just look at how she handled the situation, when the NCAA was trying to bend us over. The NCAA literally ran for cover. That should give you a clue.
Ran for cover? They should have paid the school room and board for how long they were on campus. Are you forgetting the multiple year long investigation?

With that said, at least academics were good under her. This new guy is absolutely useless. I couldn’t think of a worse duo to lead us through this upcoming transition period.

Advertisement
Let me sum up this paragraph: "I don't know anything about collegiate athletics, nor do I understand higher education management. However, I want to sound like I do, so I'll throw together this poorly reasoned nonsense and hope the idiots on this board eat it up"

Let's start with the basics, Miami has NEVER emphasized athletics. Why? Because this school is worth a ****, and you can't be a private institution and be managed that way and survive. In fact, most schools worth a **** don't emphasize athletics, because athletics are treated as a separate entity, managed and funded by people called BOOSTERS. The school in most cases have oversight, but there is usually a wall between academia and the athletic department. This is the UNIVERSITY of Miami, not Football Team in Coral Gables, that happens to be associated with some school.

UMiami was able to do something that has NEVER happened in college athletics, and that's win a ton despite never having a long term, legendary coach. This small private institution(That's something I bet that you didn't know, because I'm convinced you've never been on campus, nor even met an actual alum) was able to hit on 4 consecutive coaching hires in a 25 year span. Let that marinate. Most major programs that experience success usually ride one legendary coach for decades. Alabama(Saban/Bryant), OU(Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops), Penn State (Joe Pa), FSU(Bowden), Clemson(Ford, Dabo), Michigan(Crisler, Bo). Note that even when there's a second coach listed, there is usually a huge gap between those hires. Guess what, those schools with all their resources couldn't manage to follow a great hire with another good hire. Miami literally went from Howard, to Jimmy, to Erickson, to Butch. That's not a bad run, especially when Butch inherited a program falling apart after Erickson stopped giving a F.

Has this athletic department helped itself in the last 20 years with hires? No, because some of them had extremely low success probabilities. That said, Miami will never be managed like Alabama or Clemson, because our fanbase is and will always be trash. They don't donate, barely show up even when times are good and don't provide the community recruiting support that other schools receive. Miami has succeeded DESPITE having some of the worst fans in collegiate athletics, and that's something you can't overcome year in and year out.

CIS hall of fame worthy post.

Well done sir.

Ran for cover? They should have paid the school room and board for how long they were on campus. Are you forgetting the multiple year long investigation?

With that said, at least academics were good under her. This new guy is absolutely useless. I couldn’t think of a worse duo to lead us through this upcoming transition period.

By ran for cover, I meant that 6 month or so period at the end, when they were exposed. They were made very well aware that she was going to pull out all the stops, legal and otherwise to defend the school. They were planning sanctions much greater than what we finally received, but behind the scenes were being heavily threatened by Shalala and a team of lawyers. This is not inside information or anything, it’s pretty much very well-known.

I never liked being in the ACC. I’m not sure what happens if Clemson and FSU go to the SEC along with others. I think we’d need to create a new conference with the best of what’s left and it would potentially be geographically spread out. Like us, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Washington, VT…??? I don’t know. I’m still having a hard time believing that UNC and UVA leave the ACC.
I haven't seen any credible reports that SEC is looking to go bigger than 16.

Number one, I don't see how the money works to destroy every other conference.

Number two, I don't see how the money works to go beyond 16.

Number three, I don't see how politically North Carolina or Virginia could leave their other state schools to suffer.

Advertisement
By ran for cover, I meant that 6 month or so period at the end, when they were exposed. They were made very well aware that she was going to pull out all the stops, legal and otherwise to defend the school. They were planning sanctions much greater than what we finally received, but behind the scenes were being heavily threatened by Shalala and a team of lawyers. This is not inside information or anything, it’s pretty much very well-known.
So after playing pattycake and giving them free reign for 3 years she played hardball. She really shepherded us through that process…

That’s correct. Does not mean it can’t happen, but I think he’s just deducing and taking a gamble that it’s true so that later he can say he broke it. He may be right but I don’t think he has the sources. It’s a no lose proposition for him. With lots of reward if it breaks right, no repercussion if it doesn’t. He can just say the deal fell through. Never hast to reveal his “sources“.
That’s how it is with 90% of “inside info”

Who’s left? Miami, ND, USC, Penn St, Oregon, Iowa State, Michigan St, Oklahoma St, VT, UNC… Might as well make another super conference.
That's actually a really solid conference... you'd need to add a few other teams but those names could carry a conference

Advertisement
Back