REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Advertisement
Listen guys Miami ****ed themselves during the shalala administration. In 2001 we were the greatest team in the nation, we had a history of greatness going back to the 80's, and the school was in the best recruiting grounds in the nation. After shalala took over Miami de-prioritized football, that is fact. We can debate what was done and why - and have on this board. But we have had 20 years to get our **** together and get a nationally competitive program on the field. We have chosen for whatever reason not to do that. We can't get ****ed when the 20 best teams in the nation who do prioritize their football programs decide to do something that benefits them and leaves us out in the cold. We could have been in, if even once we revered course and made football important at Miami again. In Alabama, Clemson, Ohio it's win at all costs. At Miami it's "all about the E" whatever that means? We have put ourselves in this position. If or when this happens we have nobody to blame but ourselves. I respect Alabama and Coach Saban, and am envious of the University's willingness to make that program what it is "the college football team". Those teams have earned the opportunity to be in there, and we have not.

Let me sum up this paragraph: "I don't know anything about collegiate athletics, nor do I understand higher education management. However, I want to sound like I do, so I'll throw together this poorly reasoned nonsense and hope the idiots on this board eat it up"

Let's start with the basics, Miami has NEVER emphasized athletics. Why? Because this school is worth a ****, and you can't be a private institution and be managed that way and survive. In fact, most schools worth a **** don't emphasize athletics, because athletics are treated as a separate entity, managed and funded by people called BOOSTERS. The school in most cases have oversight, but there is usually a wall between academia and the athletic department. This is the UNIVERSITY of Miami, not Football Team in Coral Gables, that happens to be associated with some school.

UMiami was able to do something that has NEVER happened in college athletics, and that's win a ton despite never having a long term, legendary coach. This small private institution(That's something I bet that you didn't know, because I'm convinced you've never been on campus, nor even met an actual alum) was able to hit on 4 consecutive coaching hires in a 25 year span. Let that marinate. Most major programs that experience success usually ride one legendary coach for decades. Alabama(Saban/Bryant), OU(Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops), Penn State (Joe Pa), FSU(Bowden), Clemson(Ford, Dabo), Michigan(Crisler, Bo). Note that even when there's a second coach listed, there is usually a huge gap between those hires. Guess what, those schools with all their resources couldn't manage to follow a great hire with another good hire. Miami literally went from Howard, to Jimmy, to Erickson, to Butch. That's not a bad run, especially when Butch inherited a program falling apart after Erickson stopped giving a F.

Has this athletic department helped itself in the last 20 years with hires? No, because some of them had extremely low success probabilities. That said, Miami will never be managed like Alabama or Clemson, because our fanbase is and will always be trash. They don't donate, barely show up even when times are good and don't provide the community recruiting support that other schools receive. Miami has succeeded DESPITE having some of the worst fans in collegiate athletics, and that's something you can't overcome year in and year out.

The pod concept gives us a chance to "fully include" Notre Dame without the outright need for them to play a full slate. With kids receiving money, everything is all about money now. If you don't get this concept, you're being left in the pre-pandemic era.

Without anyone else defecting,...1 major school to fill the void would give us enough cover to still pitch a 16-team league that competes with the SEC and B1G.

Sell the IMAGERY that Notre Dame really is in the conference. It only makes the ACC's pitch to kids stronger. Them choosing to be left out of championship games can simply be a footnote.

Purposely keep 1-2 yearly cross rivals in other pods. Have ND's 2-3 additional games outside of their pod count as NConference games, yet have the other 3 teams within their pods battle it out for a yearly Semifinal match.

View attachment 150423

We can then have a much better chance at premier matchups for conference games that we've envisioned for the conference, but have had yet to develop. Hate to say it, but it's all about convincing the kids to not simply go to an SEC school at this point.

Will repost in a couple threads instead of starting a new one (there are enough).
Now this seems like something that could work. Like you said, the ACC leaders are going to have to get creative and forward thinking to save the conference. I’m glad Swofford is no longer the commissione.

Let me sum up this paragraph: "I don't know anything about collegiate athletics, nor do I understand higher education management. However, I want to sound like I do, so I'll throw together this poorly reasoned nonsense and hope the idiots on this board eat it up"

Let's start with the basics, Miami has NEVER emphasized athletics. Why? Because this school is worth a ****, and you can't be a private institution and be managed that way and survive. In fact, most schools worth a **** don't emphasize athletics, because athletics are treated as a separate entity, managed and funded by people called BOOSTERS. The school in most cases have oversight, but there is usually a wall between academia and the athletic department. This is the UNIVERSITY of Miami, not Football Team in Coral Gables, that happens to be associated with some school.

UMiami was able to do something that has NEVER happened in college athletics, and that's win a ton despite never having a long term, legendary coach. This small private institution(That's something I bet that you didn't know, because I'm convinced you've never been on campus, nor even met an actual alum) was able to hit on 4 consecutive coaching hires in a 25 year span. Let that marinate. Most major programs that experience success usually ride one legendary coach for decades. Alabama(Saban/Bryant), OU(Wilkinson, Switzer, Stoops), Penn State (Joe Pa), FSU(Bowden), Clemson(Ford, Dabo), Michigan(Crisler, Bo). Note that even when there's a second coach listed, there is usually a huge gap between those hires. Guess what, those schools with all their resources couldn't manage to follow a great hire with another good hire. Miami literally went from Howard, to Jimmy, to Erickson, to Butch. That's not a bad run, especially when Butch inherited a program falling apart after Erickson stopped giving a F.

Has this athletic department helped itself in the last 20 years with hires? No, because some of them had extremely low success probabilities. That said, Miami will never be managed like Alabama or Clemson, because our fanbase is and will always be trash. They don't donate, barely show up even when times are good and don't provide the community recruiting support that other schools receive. Miami has succeeded DESPITE having some of the worst fans in collegiate athletics, and that's something you can't overcome year in and year out.
And to add we did it without an IPF or for that matter training facilities that weren't anywhere near what others have.... I mean even now with the IPF it's still dwarfed by the competition....

Last edited:
No I would not have said the same thing. Texas and OU have been grumbling about leaving the conference for more than ten years. They came very close to leaving for the PAC 12 a while back. The Big 12 was always an uncomfortable marriage between the old SWC and Big 8 conferences. Their situation is in no way comparable to Michigan and OSU in the Big Ten.
Valid point but the situation with the SEC today compared to what it was just a few days ago is entirely different. No school in the country worth anything would not consider joining that movement.

Advertisement
I’m sure your opinion is pretty accurate but Michigan is a business and no good business would never not consider its options, especially if it’s a great opportunity. SEC is about to become its own Athletics government (for lack of better words). You do not want to miss that boat.
Michigan has a much greater “attitude” about being in the Big 10 than most understand. I grew up in Ann Arbor and graduated from Michigan. They act as though they invented football and the Big 10 is their personal conference ion which other schools are allowed to participate.
The big 10 also has some major media markets in Chicago and they added Rutgers and PSU to capture more of the northeast.

ACC-PAC 12 alliance would be weird but interesting.
Miami vs USCw though.

tenor-31.gif

More I think about it, a PAC12/ACC football-only super-conference would be very interesting. Would hopefully secure the marquee ACC teams (Clemson) from jumping to the SEC, and provide for some very interesting match ups. People (myself included) joke about how nobody watches the PAC-12, but I think a Miami/Clemson vs. USCw/Oregon has a lot more leverage for a prime-time TV slot on the east coast even if the game is being played on the west coast. Not to mention ESPN is likely going all-in with the SEC, maybe a PAC-12/ACC super-conference could negotiate a comparable media rights deal with FOX, CBS, Amazon etc.

The B1G strikes me as too arrogant to consider aligning with the ACC, they're more likely to reach out to Big12 scraps or marquee PAC-12 teams IMO.

Fun to speculate, will be interesting to see what the landscape looks like in 5 years.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Big 12 about to be the next Big East. Absolutely not. I rarely disagree with LCE but that was a take I did not agree with.
He said that with Texas and Oklahoma there though I assume. Without them, I can’t imagine he’d feel the same way.

Michigan has a much greater “attitude” about being in the Big 10 than most understand. I grew up in Ann Arbor and graduated from Michigan. They act as though they invented football and the Big 10 is their personal conference ion which other schools are allowed to participate.
The big 10 also has some major media markets in Chicago and they added Rutgers and PSU to capture more of the northeast.
As they say in business, adapt or die.

Even with them, the Big 12 is a mess.
I never liked being in the ACC. I’m not sure what happens if Clemson and FSU go to the SEC along with others. I think we’d need to create a new conference with the best of what’s left and it would potentially be geographically spread out. Like us, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Washington, VT…??? I don’t know. I’m still having a hard time believing that UNC and UVA leave the ACC.

Advertisement
Only chance for survival is the ACC and Big 10 need to merge and drop dead weight.

miami
Fsu
Clemson
V tech
Unc
ND
G tech
BC or cuse- both are average

Wisconsin
Iowa
ohio st
Pedo
Illinois
Nebraska
Michigan
Mich st

Attachments

• 3DE8C9C4-819F-42C7-9111-2896049BDCB1.png
    3DE8C9C4-819F-42C7-9111-2896049BDCB1.png
    312.3 KB · Views: 42
I am not big on conspiracy theories, but it seems more than a coincidence that the SEC is seeking to become a bid super conference by adding OU, Texas and even Ohio St., while the NCAA is considering expanding the college football playoff to 12 teams so that a 10-2 or 9-3 SEC team would still have a chance to make the playoffs.

the SEC has been discussing a possible move with OU and Texas for 6 months while the NCAA was also creating the possibility that more teams from a super conference could make a playoff or NY6 bowl?

Advertisement
I never liked being in the ACC. I’m not sure what happens if Clemson and FSU go to the SEC along with others. I think we’d need to create a new conference with the best of what’s left and it would potentially be geographically spread out. Like us, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Washington, VT…??? I don’t know. I’m still having a hard time believing that UNC and UVA leave the ACC.
Oh, I despise the ACC. I would love to leave them. Unfortunately, we haven’t been a hot commodity for two decades and the demand for us isn’t high.

With a 4 team playoff, conferences had to do whatever they could to try and get 1 team in. Doesn’t make sense to expand and make your conference harder for those top teams.

With a 12 team playoff, it’s now get as many in to make that $. The SEC/ESPN are going to spin their super conference strength to say a 8-4 LSU team (as an example) should be in over a 10-2 team from another conference.

Call it the “Coastal Conference,” with East and west divisions.
Ha.
I will play this game with you.
Put them in Pods/ Groups of 4 to make sure travel does not get too out of hand.

West Semi in LA. East Semi in Miami. Championship Game rotated between LA, Denver, Charlotte, Miami.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back