REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Advertisement
Are we sure Oklahoma and Texas are making the right decision? Oklahoma has won five straight Big 12 titles and goes to the playoff almost every year. Now they’ll be lucky to win an SEC title once every 5 years. And Texas could become the new Tennessee unless they turn it around.

It doesn’t matter how strong your schedule/conference is, teams with 3-4+ losses are always going to be discounted in the rankings. Seems like a program would be better off in the long-run winning conference titles consistently and getting 11+ wins every year.

Posturing? Waiting for the other guy to blink? Sabre rattling? I honestly don’t know.

And what’s worse is, I think you’re right, I don’t think they know.

There is an outside chance that they hold some cards, and threaten to leave but I tend more to think that you are correct about them not leaving the SEC. But with everything that’s going on, who really knows.

I think one thing is clear, they are not happy.
Imagine if Jimbo ended up back in the ACC…. Now, Ole Jimbo would put 100 on FSU. Full Colonel Kurtz horror for the Nolies. That would be like seeing Blue and it would be glorious.

The SEC to TAMU:

1627096987631.gif

Advertisement
At the same time, TAMU has serious money behind it, don’t kid yourselves. Those Texas boys are in a ****ing match with the Longhorns and they want their pound of flesh.

This is all fun. But my memory is that the ACC exit fee is three years average revenue. So, three years at say 30m is obv 90m. There is then the actual ESPN contract. OU and Texas don’t have such hurdles. I don’t think ACC teams can just stroll out like that. 🚶‍♀️

Advertisement
Are we sure Oklahoma and Texas are making the right decision? Oklahoma has won five straight Big 12 titles and goes to the playoff almost every year. Now they’ll be lucky to win an SEC title once every 5 years. And Texas could become the new Tennessee unless they turn it around.

It doesn’t matter how strong your schedule/conference is, teams with 3-4+ losses are always going to be discounted in the rankings. Seems like a program would be better off in the long-run winning conference titles consistently and getting 11+ wins every year.
oh no, I don't think OU or Texas are making a smart decision short term at all. it's the long term that is hard to judge, and may be a big boon for them.

I also don't know how this helps a single SEC team in the short term.

Bama: They already dominate and get direct access to the ship/playoff. How do more quality teams help that?
UGA: wining their division regularly. can't get over the bama/championship hump. now the road becomes more difficult.
LSU/UF/Auburn/TAMU: Can't win their division regularly. Now the road becomes more difficult.
TENN/UK/Mizzou: Can't compete for their division regularly already.
Everyone else: Wait, this league is getting even harder?

This is all fun. But my memory is that the ACC exit fee is three years average revenue. So, three years at say 30m is obv 90m. There is then the actual ESPN contract. OU and Texas don’t have such hurdles. I don’t think ACC teams can just stroll out like that. 🚶‍♀️
They’ll stretch that payment out and the conference will pay that for both teams with no problem after they restructure the sec network and ESPN deal.

They do know the Noles are garbage, right? Also, they already have UF. Also, the Noles don't even raise their academics. WTF???

Advertisement
oh no, I don't think OU or Texas are making a smart decision short term at all. it's the long term that is hard to judge, and may be a big boon for them.

I also don't know how this helps a single SEC team in the short term.

Bama: They already dominate and get direct access to the ship/playoff. How do more quality teams help that?
UGA: wining their division regularly. can't get over the bama/championship hump. now the road becomes more difficult.
LSU/UF/Auburn/TAMU: Can't win their division regularly. Now the road becomes more difficult.
TENN/UK/Mizzou: Can't compete for their division regularly already.
Everyone else: Wait, this league is getting even harder?

Long and short term it’s significantly more money for each team.

Just a guess, but how that affects parity in the long term remains to be seen, but in the short term, I suppose it’s going to make things a little harder for the the top 2-3 teams, and a lot harder for everyone else. So I suppose what I’m saying aligns with what you’re saying.

Advertisement
Long and short term it’s significantly more money for each team.

Just a guess, but how that affects parity in the long term remains to be seen, but in the short term, I suppose it’s going to make things a little harder for the the top 2-3 teams, and a lot harder for everyone else. So I suppose what I’m saying aligns with what you’re saying.
totally, it's more money and that typically means more power. But the SEC (and the top of the sport at large) is at the threshold of diminishing returns.

What does more money do for Bama? Nothing. What does it do for UGA? Maybe -- maybe -- remove every last excuse for not winning the ship? The SEC is now competing almost exclusively with itself, there's nowhere else to go or grow. Now they have another juggernaut in OU they have to fight off, and a sleeping giant they have to keep snoozing in UT. More money doesn't equate to greater opportunity, imo.

Yeah I thought I read it was happening asap like next year soon. Which has my panties in a bunch.

Cowherd reported not happening til 2025, but A&M is supposedly about to chime on Monday b/c there’s some sort of binding Texas agreement that UT would be in violation of if this move happens. Saw if the move happens, the money UT & OU would make will make the early exit fee “very affordable.”

It’s going to be interesting

Cowherd reported not happening til 2025, but A&M is supposedly about to chime on Monday b/c there’s some sort of binding Texas agreement that UT would be in violation of if this move happens. Saw if the move happens, the money UT & OU would make will make the early exit fee “very affordable.”

It’s going to be interesting
Right on. The article/post I read made it seem more imminent and saying OU/UT was ready to pay whatever to get out. **** scares me if it can happen that fast.

Advertisement
Back