REALIGNMENT MEGGGGAAAA THREAAAD

Advertisement
LMAO.

"
If the move becomes reality, the fallout for the rest of college football would be massive, and the administrator believes the larger impact could significantly damage the sport.

Several ACC athletic directors believed that their league would make a push in the next few years to add both Texas and Oklahoma -- along with Notre Dame, which already is a partial ACC member -- as it looks to restructure its TV contract, but the suddenness of the Longhorns' and Sooners' move to the SEC took them by surprise.

One ACC AD wondered whether this could be the first domino leading to a massive shake-up that would ultimately result in a 32-team superconference. Two other ADs suggested that the best path forward might be for the ACC, Pac-12 and others to work together toward a new media rights package that could help counter the outsized strength a 16-team SEC would command, with one AD also saying he believed there was minimal value in what would remain of the Big 12."

At least one thing is clear now - the whole line that Miami could never have joined the SEC because the in-state school, Florida, would "block" it was a bunch of garbage.... as I said all along.

I was proved 100% right on that point.

A&M tried that tactic and were not able to block UT. Like I said the first time I made the point... where there's money to be made, people will find a way to make it happen.

Lmao

Advertisement
Hate the SEC but they're just miles ahead of every other conference & give zero *****.
I don't think they are miles ahead of ****.

I think Mark Emmert, The NCAA, and Disney/ESPN cooked up this horse**** plan to monopolize college football through building several SEC and choice big market schools into juggernauts by allowing them to cheat at will while selectively hammering any teams that would stifle their growth.

I don't think you can use that transitive logic though. UF may have had enough other teams in the old conference set up to block us.

Maybe, but it shows the 'in state' thing was not the insurmountable hurdle some here were making it out to be. And that was my point all along.

The rise of the SEC coincided with the fall of Miami when they started poaching SoFla kids. Bama, LSU and UGA benefit in recruiting from SEC bias - they want to play "big boy ball". You put an SEC patch on Miami's unis and they lose that recruiting advantage.

No way Bama, LSU, UGA and UF are letting Miami in.
Completely ahree and that's the biggest problem. The media has built the SEC up so much and viewed so many conferences as insignificant that you have to build super conferences to match them after this. Pac 10 is stuck they're just slowly dying, Big 10 has OSU so they'll live off of them until they potentially leave but the SEC is so powerful now that they're toxic for everybody else

Advertisement
We're going to be on the outside looking in when the dust settles unless something crazy happens. For example...

Clemson
Miami
FSU
UNC/VT
Ohio State
PennSt
Michigan
Wisky
MichSt
Nebraska
Oregon
USCw
Washington
ASU/Zona
OkieSt
Baylor/TCU

Convince ND to join if you can and boot MichSt.

You make a football-only super-conference out of that, surround the SEC geographically make it NWO vs WCW 2.0, Saturday Night Wars. Let ESPN bankrupt itself on the SEC media rights while CBS, Amazon etc. bid against each other to cover the only other game in town.

Chicago Bulls Wrestling GIF by WWE

Wishful thinking and yes, I'm drinking before noon. 🍻

Funny you mention pro wrestling. I was thinking that if the ACC wants to make some real money, it needs to prop up Miami and have us be a major heel again for CFB. Ratings ratings ratings. Rig the schedule to make it so Miami has an easy slate and has an easy path to the expanded playoffs, and encourage players to wear fatigues, kneel during the national anthem, or do anything that will make Fox News anchors foam at the mouth. You can have Notre Dame or Clemson be the babyfaces, but CFB needs a true bad guy. I don't think Bama fits the bill for being a truly hateable team for casual fans, they are just unfeeling machines without distinct personalities. It has to be Miami.

This is the Montreal Screwjob for TAMU. ACC should have a conversation with TAMU immediately since the Aggies are probably in their feelings about the SEC pulling this stunt behind their back. If I'm not mistaken, TAMU made it crystal clear that Texas was forbidden to join the SEC. This was non-negotiable. Hypothetically, if TAMU is salty enough to tell the SEC that the conference busted the deal and now TAMU wants out, adding ND and TAMU would make the ACC just as powerful as the SEC. Unfortunately the people running the ACC aren't smart enough to capitalize on a potential rift between TAMU and the SEC.

Advertisement
I'd honestly rather see UCF than freaking WVU in the ACC. UCF has the size and alumni to be something one day and could make a nice new rivalry. Have no interest in WVU vs Miami anymore.

Really we shouldn't add either team. No reason to elevate UCF to a power conference, and WVU is not even close to being on par with OU or Texas.

You don't add just to add.

If Texas and OU had any balls they would join the ACC to compete with the SEC. OK, that may be me just hoping The ACC can pull off a miracle. If the ACC schools said no to that arrangement, they would get what they deserve.
The ACC had been working behind the scenes with Texas and OU, about a move, for the past 3-4 years. A move was supposedly imminent. The SEC news caught the ACC off guard

Last edited:
Advertisement
Funny you mention pro wrestling. I was thinking that if the ACC wants to make some real money, it needs to prop up Miami and have us be a major heel again for CFB. Ratings ratings ratings. Rig the schedule to make it so Miami has an easy slate and has an easy path to the expanded playoffs, and encourage players to wear fatigues, kneel during the national anthem, or do anything that will make Fox News anchors foam at the mouth. You can have Notre Dame or Clemson be the babyfaces, but CFB needs a true bad guy. I don't think Bama fits the bill for being a truly hateable team for casual fans, they are just unfeeling machines without distinct personalities. It has to be Miami.
One of the reason Miami's brand is so big is bc they are one of the few brands that have an identity. The bad boys. A lot of ppl can relate no matter what part of the country you're in. What's Bama brand identity? Or Clemson? They don't really have one. ND vs Miami is the best national rivalry imo. "good vs bad". Ppl who aren't fans of either team will tune in.

All good things come to an end. People watch college sports because it’s not a corporate cess pool and professional and boring. Anyone not in these super conferences will stop caring quickly and not watch. Look what happened in europe with soccer, nobody wanted a super league.

You’re joking right? College football has been making a ton of money for decades. It’s already a corporate cesspool, if that’s what you want to call it. What makes it different now? It already makes billions and will continue to make billions. This is just a restructure. Pure and simple. We just don’t want to be left out that’s all.

Two powers, two cupcakes. SEC has its collective crap together. ACC is playing with crayons and a ball of yarn.
In this model each SEC team should still have to play 4 tough games each season which means it will be difficult to make it out of that schedule with less than two losses unless you are really **** good. It is the best way to allow the better teams to dodge Bama as much as possible (except Auburn who has to play them every year regardless in the Iron Bowl.) Smart way to keep the less consistent recruiting teams like UF happy but could backfire if the right teams only drop a game or finish undefeated.

The ACC isn't a conference that makes every decision based on football and tv money. It's legit good ole boys Tobacco road doing the bare minimum to keep their nostalgic view of their conference alive.

An earlier poster hit the nail on the head. They have gone out of their way to foster an era of dominance for Clemson while trying to create parity in the rest of the league, primarily with ******, biased refereeing. The Ryan Switzer replay reviewed (dropped)TD in 2016 comes to my mind as the one most glaring **** call we have been forced to suffer. The targeting/non targets last year vs Clemson also stick in my craw and there have been hundreds of other dreadful calls. Brevin's fourth down catch against GT in overtime at home was another that made me lose it.

The ACC should have been building up all of their high profile football schools this past decade and driving the level of competition at the top up to keep pace with the perception of the SEC. Rising tide lifts all ships y'know. We have seen that be the case for the SEC and it should have been the model for the ACC. Instead they have one bell cow and are following the B1G model. They hope funneling all effort to one squad is enough to guarantee a place at the table each year and keep the conference relevant enough to garner a solid TV contract. The SEC is steady trying to find a way to throw the whole party and as long as the other conferences are just happy with a seat at the table it won't be long before the SEC shows them all the door and the party goes private.

Advertisement
Back