Real Talk--The Sobering Slap of Reality Edition...

The Franchise

The Best EVER
Premium
Fellas, it should now be obvious to anyone who was clinging to undefeated pipe dreams and a NC run was deluding themselves. This team is a long way from being in the upper echelon of college football.

Some stream of consciousness thoughts while watching the UM/fsu game and many other all season:

--Like I said last week, UM's talent level and speed, especially on D, is below par for the upper crust of college football. 30, 31, and 59 stand out to me as guys who have no business on a top-level team. Every time 30 and 31 are on the field, it seems like something bad happens.

--I could have sworn I saw red floppy shoes on 30 when he did that clown spin on that pass to Benjamin. Love the kid's heart and pedigree, but, again, if he's out there playing, then it's no different than when Popovich was logging minutes at Safety in the 90s.

--Think about this for a second. BC played fsu better than we did. And I watched the BC game yesterday to see if the fsu game was a fluke. It wasn't. BC and UM are right about at the same level RIGHT NOW as football teams.

--We proved last night that not only is fsu far more talented and deeper than we are, but they're also more physical. That might be a result of the talent advantage just making it appear that way, but they were blowing us up in the 2nd half.

--Sadly, it looked like we let up last night in the 2nd half when the chips were down. I could see us sag and pretty much give up when fsu went up by 21.

--Our first possession of the 2nd half this season seems like it's been terrible all year. When we win the opening coin toss and defer, it seems like we routinely sht the sheets on that opening 2nd half possession. We had all the momentum and had a chance to tie that thing, but we crapped out.

--The early whistle on the Duke "forward progress" run was criminal. The guy who supposedly stopped him was being blocked and had only one arm loose. That would have been a TD and would have really energized our team.

--That was the quintessential Steve Morris performance. Incredible throws followed by mind-numbing decisions. He needed to be perfect last night for us to win, and he wasn't. I didn't expect him to be, though, because we should know who he is by this time.

--Walford sht his panties last night. He was juggling the ball like a circus side show last night, and he looked scared to death out there.

--Our RB situation is a quagmire. It's tough to be a hard-running team with 190 pound RBs. This is why you stockpile RBs, and dudes on the recruiting board claiming you need to switch their positions if you have more than 3 are out of it. Basically, we have Duke and nothing. Now, we don't have Duke. Dallas is a good player, but he's small and fairly slow. Gus needs to be forcefed reps because he looks like the only potential difference-maker left at that position.

--Although he's tinier than the rest of them, I'd start getting Corn some reps at RB. He at least possesses that wiggle and game-changing potential the others don't.

--If I see another situation where we are standing there on offense staring at the sidelines as the play clock dwindles down to 5 seconds then run up to the line in a panic and snap it with 1 second left and the whole offense discombobulated, I will cut a bytch's throat. That sht always blows up in our faces. If you can't check off in a normal way, then just run the fcking play that was called. That chinese fire drill sht is ponderous.

--Where was Rashawn Scott? He could have helped yesterday.

--Time to start running some plays for Sandland. Seems like we're wasting a mismatch and playmaker there.

--Perryman didn't show up like I thought he would. That was his chance to shine big on a national stage, and he didn't.

--Obvious point, but our pass rush is garbage. I can't even call it a rush. It's more like a pass stalemate. The couple times Jemima struggled last night were when we got heat in his face or at least pushed the pocket into him. And you saw what happens when you sell out on the blitz.

--Porter has been a huge disappointment this year. I was expecting big things from him other than his gut.

--OP hasn't really stepped up either like I thought he would.

--Shayon, while very limited, has surprised the **** out of me. He's been our best regular DL, and I apologize to him for doubting him so badly.

--Gilbert is another guy who hasn't done what I thought he could do.

--The 3rd down pass rush package is retarded. What happens when the other team throws on 1st and 2nd?

--Our 3rd down D continues to be a nightmare. Much of that has to do with the lack of talent out there. We can't get a pass rush, and that destroys your 3rd down D.

--Vag Tech will be an absolute war.

Advertisement
How we play emotionally against VT will tell me all I need to know about this team.

the offense hasnt help out at all the last three games, the defense has been on the field pretty much the whole game.

Agree with just about everything....great post. On D we really look unathletic on the front 7 and #30 in the secondary. We need some serious upgrades there.

Also, not sure if his redshirt is intact, but I really would like to Grace get some burn. He's a playmaker...who cares if he's 215lbs. Also, since it seems we want our LB to cover the slot, use our best cover LB!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Hope VT doesn't come down to a Goudis kick. Huge momentum killer for us last night and I've lost the faith there

Never understood why they moved Elder to CB. I still don't understand alot of the personnel moves this program makes and our fan base want the coaches to make. The same people wanted Kelvin Benjamin to play TE for us.

Agree with just about everything....great post. On D we really look unathletic on the front 7 and #30 in the secondary. We need some serious upgrades there.

Also, not sure if his redshirt is intact, but I really would like to Grace get some burn. He's a playmaker...who cares if he's 215lbs. Also, since it seems we want our LB to cover the slot, use our best cover LB!

How can we know 30 is going to kill us, but the D coord who makes half a mill doesn't. He watches practice and the all 22 footage. Wth is he doing?

All facts. I was watching the game with k9 and we were drinking heavily by the 2nd quarter. We both agreed that we're realistically 2 classes away from dominance.

Advertisement

How can we know 30 is going to kill us, but the D coord who makes half a mill doesn't. He watches practice and the all 22 footage. Wth is he doing?

Or maybe he doesn't have a better option? Deon isn't Deon right now.....maybe he should give Carter a shot, not sure what else you want him to do.

I think you gotta play Deon and just hope he starts to get back close to where he was last year.

Advertisement

Or maybe he doesn't have a better option? Deon isn't Deon right now.....maybe he should give Carter a shot, not sure what else you want him to do.

Play Gunter and RJ at safety and play one of the other corners. Give me Crawford or Artie on the field anyone but 30. We did it some last week by the way.....

there is no excuse for getting pushed around STILL. Someone in the game day thread made this point but we lack functional strength. Kids at FSU/LSU/Bama have football power: their strength gains don't negatively impact their athleticism.

Guys like Peryman, Chick, Duke, Porter, and OP have lost explosiveness in exchange for weight gain, essentially destroying the Miami advantage. The great Canes teams were able to maximize their power while not adding unnecessary bulk that slows athleticism.

Ten years of not being able to last a season and getting pushed in by physical teams, and the same unqualified guy gets paid to address it and never seems to be able to.

Advertisement
I will say this...Florida State clearly has a significant talent edge, but nothing that Miami shouldn't be able to close the gap on in 2 years. I thought the gap was most noticeable in a few areas.

Mostly, the defensive front seven. When Jimbo took over, they recruited the best of the best on the front seven. Look at their defensive line depth chart, they are three deep across the line with five and high end four star talent, and most of them are very legit right now. Miami needs to keep signing these high end JUCOs, the Chad Thomas' of the world in bulk. This is what happens when you miss out on the Leonard Williams, Darius Hamilton, Eddie Goldman, Dominique Easley, Louis Nix types of the world. Last recruiting cycle had way too many of those types of misses, as well. We need to go DL/LB heavy, and they need to be five-star, four-star types. We have to stop settling on guys that max out at B+.

There was also an obvious talent disparity between Morris and Winston and one is a senior and the other a redshirt freshman.

Depth is a big issue, too. Florida State goes three deep at running back, five deep at contributing at wide receiver, eight+ at defensive back. Twelve deep on the defensive line. That takes a few recruiting cycles to build up. Jimbo has been assembling this team since he took over in 2010. If we are them three seasons ago, right now, we have some work to do, clearly.

We've been in dog fights all year with some barely bowl eligible teams. Yeah, we beat them, but this team is very tough to gauge how good they are. Is Miami a 10-20 ranked team? Or are they a 21-40 ranked type team? Our record may not be indicative of what kind of team we are and may be simply succeeding on a soft schedule. I hope not, but last night's loss knocked us down a peg or two.

Some over reaction in there, especially the BC part. We are 7-1, they are 4-4. We beat UNC, they lost to them by 24. We are a better team then them.

We still need more talent and depth which is pretty obvious.

the offense hasnt help out at all the last three games, the defense has been on the field pretty much the whole game.

The main reason the defense has been on the field so much is that they can't get off the field. Yesterday was a flat out mismatch. Fsu had too many weapons and a QB that can distribute the ball accurately. Combine that with our pass stalemate, and you have a recipe for disaster. I think we forced one punt all night.

When your best pass rushers are underclassmen, that's a problem.

This is still going to Charlotte and winning 10+ games.

Advertisement
Back