Real Talk--The Sobering Slap of Reality Edition...

I dont disagree with most of what has been said in this thread but there is 1 position gap that decided this game. QB. This is not a rip on Morris because he is not a bad player but he isnt Winston. If you swap QB's last night, Miami wins. It is as simple as that. It affects the whole game. No way FSU sells out to stop the run if Winston is the qb? I dont believe that WInston misses all of those opportunities that Morris missed. He saved them with his legs a number of times on 3rd downs. He knows when to check down. How many sacks would miami have had last night if Morris was FSU's QB? As bad as our DL supposedly is they got more pressure than fSU IMHO. Their DL looked better because they only cared about stopping the run and then when it was obvious we had to pass to come back that is all they had to focus on. Football becomes simple when there is only one aspect that you need to defend. Everyone is slurping Freeman and he is a good player but he has been around forever and has never played this well and its all because of Winston. Heck he averaged less than 4ypc last night. Winston makes them almost unguardable. If you stack the box to take away the run, he will kill you with their WR's. If you sit back to stop and take away the pass, it makes running simple. Our WR's minus Dorsett were abusing FSU, but we couldnt capitalize either cause Morris doesnt scan the field well or is just inconsistent in making the plays. Miami would be competing for MNC if Winston was their QB. Not saying that #30 stinking doesnt hurt or having poor LB isnt import its just that IMHO its as simple as QB play.

Advertisement
Some over reaction in there, especially the BC part. We are 7-1, they are 4-4. We beat UNC, they lost to them by 24. We are a better team then them.

We still need more talent and depth which is pretty obvious.

That's why I emphasized the RIGHT NOW part. You can say they lost to UNC so we are better, but they were much more competitive against fsu. The transitive stuff doesn't work. The BC team I've watched a few times this year is right at about our level. They also nearly upset Clemson at Clemson.

They lost to UNC by 24 last week, 9 days after we beat them. Guess you must have missed that game.

Last edited:
Bipolar QB's destroy any offenses chances to sustain drives, and makes even a good defenses look horrific.

Some over reaction in there, especially the BC part. We are 7-1, they are 4-4. We beat UNC, they lost to them by 24. We are a better team then them.

We still need more talent and depth which is pretty obvious.

That's why I emphasized the RIGHT NOW part. You can say they lost to UNC so we are better, but they were much more competitive against fsu. The transitive stuff doesn't work. The BC team I've watched a few times this year is right at about our level. They also nearly upset Clemson at Clemson.

They lost to UNC by 24 last week, 9 days after we beat them. Guess you must have missed that game.

So if we beat VT by less than they did that means they're better than us? You willing to go with that because they just played them yesterday? See how silly that is? FSU beat us by more than they beat them. Does that mean they're better than us? They also beat Wake Forest much worse than we did. I guess you missed that one.

Advertisement
We have a better record and are more talented then BC. Do you disagree with those statements?

Non-starters. I never disputed either of those non-starters. We have a better record and are more talented than a team they beat by 14, and we needed a last second score to beat them (Wake Forest). Football isn't played on paper.

If we played, I think we'd probably beat them, but it would be another protracted war. Accordingly, we're pretty close to the same level right now in my eyes. Clearly, your eyes tell you something differently. How much BC have you watched this year? I've admittedly only watched 4 of their games start to finish (Wake, FSU, Clemson and Vag Tech).

We have a better record and are more talented then BC. Do you disagree with those statements?

using your logic, in any sport that has a series of games(MLB playoffs, NHL playoffs, NBA playoffs, etc), every series would always be decided by sweeps(3-0, 4-0). 7 game series wouldnt happen, because the better team always wins, every time.

I agree with most of what you wrote. There is a marked contrast between the two teams in terms of talent. Where we trot out Highsmith, who has no business playing safety on a top-end FBS program, they have Joyner; where we back up Duke with converted DBs who are neither powerful nor fast, they insert Freeman (who is a savage RB) or Williams (a 5-star); we have no one who resembles Benjamin, who looks like an alien out there; their OL absolutely mauled us as time wore on, in large part because they're more talented and also because we don't have a good enough rotation of 3-down DLs, etc, etc.

I think we're two legit, star-studded classes away. We can't have any more classes like the 2013 one, which I think was merely OK. The scary part is that if Golden -- who is a tireless recruiter and someone who has really bought into this program -- can't do it, then perhaps no one can resurrect this program. I continue to maintain that playing our games in that repulsive stadium that is an hour from campus is destructive to recruiting: any elite kid attending a game against a regular ACC opponent has to be drastically underwhelmed with the atmosphere compared to what UF and FSU have to offer. I don't know if we can overcome this disadvantage, but I guess we'll see.

Non-starters. I never disputed either of those non-starters. We have a better record and are more talented than a team they beat by 14, and we needed a last second score to beat them (Wake Forest). Football isn't played on paper.

If we played, I think we'd probably beat them, but it would be another protracted war. Accordingly, we're pretty close to the same level right now in my eyes. Clearly, your eyes tell you something differently. How much BC have you watched this year? I've admittedly only watched 4 of their games start to finish (Wake, FSU, Clemson and Vag Tech).

On offense this speaks largly to how important a good QB is. If we had an elite or even above average QB I think we would blow out teams like Wake and BC. Fact is we do not, and that allows teams that execute to hang around with us because we can't take advantage of our athletic advantages on the outside. Against below average teams we can be overwhelming, but we are not at the point where we can overwhelm average teams....

Advertisement
We need to develop a quarterback. Its that simple. Morris has had 3 oc's during his time. Yes, he's inconsistent. But that can really hurt a kid. He came in raw to begin with. We can also thank randy for burning his redshirt when the guy wasnt ready to play and we had no depth. A big thank you to our former coach for having his head up his ***. Jimbo recruits guys he wants, and sits up there and develops them in his system. That is such a big deal and its something we really need. Unfortunately its probably going to continue. Doubt coley stays here longer than 3 years.

The reason we struggle with scrubs is not because they have close to our talent. The draft 4 years from now will say as much when every player is gone on. We fail to gameplan effectively. At some point in every game we have been outcoached. From GT running stuff, we never seen, to having no answers for WF wide OL splits, against UNC, it was no clue how to cover Ebron. Its always something else. The other team did something where we had no idea to stop it for a while. Most of the season it happened in the first half, against FSU it was in the second.

The reason we struggle with scrubs is not because they have close to our talent. The draft 4 years from now will say as much when every player is gone on. We fail to gameplan effectively. At some point in every game we have been outcoached. From GT running stuff, we never seen, to having no answers for WF wide OL splits, against UNC, it was no clue how to cover Ebron. Its always something else. The other team did something where we had no idea to stop it for a while. Most of the season it happened in the first half, against FSU it was in the second.

huh

Advertisement

I've watched them quite a bit, they have improved a lot with the coaching change. They are pretty inconsistent but can play well for stretches. Rettig is a solid 4 year starting QB, Williams is a beast at RB, and Amidon is a **** good WR. Outside that they don't have anything else on offense.

I do think it would be tough game if we played them. I think we would win though. We just have more overall talent on both sides of the ball (especially in the underclassmen) that's why I feel it's an overreaction to say we are equal with them. I do understand your point though.

Ironically Adazzio is the coach that took over for Golden at Temple. He actually has a decent buzz going there right now. Spazz was awful his last few years there.

using your logic, in any sport that has a series of games(MLB playoffs, NHL playoffs, NBA playoffs, etc), every series would always be decided by sweeps(3-0, 4-0). 7 game series wouldnt happen, because the better team always wins, every time.

Huh? I never said they couldn't beat us. I disagreed that they BC and Miami are program equals at the moment.

I've watched them quite a bit, they have improved a lot with the coaching change. They are pretty inconsistent but can play well for stretches. Rettig is a solid 4 year starting QB, Williams is a beast at RB, and Amidon is a **** good WR. Outside that they don't have anything else on offense.

I do think it would be tough game if we played them. I think we would win though. We just have more overall talent on both sides of the ball (especially in the underclassmen) that's why I feel it's an overreaction to say we are equal with them. I do understand your point though.

Ironically Adazzio is the coach that took over for Golden at Temple. He actually has a decent buzz going there right now. Spazz was awful his last few years there.

I have no doubt that we have more talent than them. Way more. My comment wasn't in any way connected to talent. Almost every team they've played has more talent than them. Vag Tech did too. They're just a good gritty team, and at this point in the season the way both teams are playing now it would be a very close game that could go either way. The equal comment I made had to do with the current BC and UM teams and how they'd do in a game against each other right now.

Advertisement

This happens to any defense. A defense, by its very nature, has to be reactive. We dont have the talent to dictate to most offenses the pace of the game, and Coach D has made it clear that he will give up yardage in order to not give up big plays. Its great that Ebron ran up a bunch of yards, but what kept that game close was not that Ebron was making some catches using underneath crossing routes, its that our Senior QB threw FOUR picks. If Morris has even an AVERAGE game against UNC and Wake, we cruise in both those games. At the end of the day, we dont have enough talent and depth on defense yet. We have NO elite upperclassmen on our defense. DP is a very good, All ACC type LB, and Chick is a decent DE against the run, but beyond that, our upperclassmen are all JAGs. WE have a lot of YOUNG talent on D, but its still YOUNG. Guys like McCord, AQM, Howard, Bush, Crawford, Figs, are all first and second year guys.

Teams are going to abuse us on underneath routes because we have JAGs like Cornelius and Gaines trying to cover those routes. Even DP is not particularly great in coverage. But at the end of the day, we WON both those games, despite the fact that our offense was absolutely PUTRID, and Morris threw FOUR picks against UNC.

I continue to maintain that playing our games in that repulsive stadium that is an hour from campus is destructive to recruiting: any elite kid attending a game against a regular ACC opponent has to be drastically underwhelmed with the atmosphere compared to what UF and FSU have to offer.

Best point I've seen made in any thread this season.

Advertisement
Back