Real Takeaways from Pinstripe Bowl 23

dukemv

Sophomore
1) Personnel selections of Gore and Lou Cristobal starting led to 14-0 deficit early on. With McCoy substituted, run game improved. Gore was getting washed every play and they attacked wherever he was

2) Jacolby George smh. So tired of seeing him jawing and making boneheaded plays. And the other dude who took a cheap shot at the punter... it's the punter.

3) LB play leaves a lot to be desired (besides Mauigoa who was the best player on defense for most of the season). Bissainthe doesn't have physicality to be a run-stopper and falls for eye candy relatively easily. Jayden Wayne doesn't have the physicality yet, either, but I really think he'll be good. He seems to be around the ball most of the time.

4) Guidry is really good at making adjustments

5) For someone as particular as Coach Cristobal, you would think he would figure out how to stop getting punts blocked by now

I thought the offensive approach was good after we got down 14-0 lol. They started opening up passes (Brown has a rocket for an arm), utilizing more perimeter runs, and even had a TE catch a ball for once lol. It seemed like when the team got the lead, Cristobal, or whoever, tried to rein in the offense. Then they get behind on offense, give up a couple scores, then have to open up again to try to get back in the game. I really think Jacurri Brown played well, though. He did a great job leadinig the team to that score at the end of the half. I just hate how the offense needs to be behind or at the end of the game/half to move with urgency and take shots down the field. I don't think this loss is on the players, though; I think it's on personnel selections and whoever is leading the offense trying to play it safe once they got a little lead.

You could recruit an all-world team of 5 stars, but if they keep playing it safe, this will keep happening imo.

Overall thought it was a very solid performance given the personnel available. I'm not sure Rutgers had anyone opt out, and this was basically the B squad given injuries and opt-outs. Gives me hope the players will catch up to competition. Just need the coaching to stay ahead.

Curious what more knowledgable football minds think @lindend @Lance Roffers

Last edited:
Advertisement
Should have played more young guys.

But I feel Mario is more of an off season adjustment maker than in season. He moves slow but makes big changes.

What impact would winning this game had for the program.? None imo. I didn’t expect Miami to win this game regardless of their opponent And especially with a much lesser team that went 7-5. No sense to me in bashing players or Mario or coaches it was nothing more than a trip to NY and some sight seeing. All these bowl games are bull **** now. They have zero meaning or impact on the following season.

Advertisement
pizza prank GIF by truTV

What impact would winning this game had for the program.? None imo. I didn’t expect Miami to win this game regardless of their opponent And especially with a much lesser team that went 7-5. No sense to me in bashing players or Mario or coaches it was nothing more than a trip to NY and some sight seeing. All these bowl games are bull **** now. They have zero meaning or impact on the following season.
Lebron James GIF

Advertisement
Guidry made adjustments, but the loose coverage on the receivers drove me nuts.
That QB was not going to beat us over the top.
We were down 14-0 before we tightened it up.

Regarding our run D, I don't know what to say.
We knew Monongai was coming, but couldn't stop him.
Effort or coaching?
I was at the game so i really couldn't get a handle how often we were mixing up our base with run blitzes.
We just didnt have the size inside to really stop them, Deen, Gore, Harrison hunte, Litchenstein, all are probably 285 ish or under.. We didnt have LT who played nose for a top run D all year but everyone here says he didnt do anything because he played NT and didnt have splashy stats.. Guess having someone with size and willing to sacrifice does have importance.

Also those guys that we recruited are freshman and would just restart cycle of expectations if we try to throw them in early, we need to hit portal for LARGE DT types, MTSU kid looked smaller than jason taylor in pics.. Not sure why we didnt go hard for Nolen atleast have him visit..

Never quite understood the Thomas Gore addition. Mario preaches physicality and size but took a tiny DT. He looks about 6'0 270.

Anthony Campbell is baffling. I don't think he started at ULM but we expect him to contribute at Miami?

Advertisement
Guidry made adjustments, but the loose coverage on the receivers drove me nuts.
That QB was not going to beat us over the top.
We were down 14-0 before we tightened it up.

Regarding our run D, I don't know what to say.
We knew Monongai was coming, but couldn't stop him.
Effort or coaching?
I was at the game so i really couldn't get a handle how often we were mixing up our base with run blitzes.
I dont think DBs are quick enough to play tight coverage.

When Moten was in, there seemed to be success stopping the run.Even w/ Lichtenstein who's close to Medicare eligibility

Not sure how coaching or lack thereof impacted punt block. Simple as No. 55 seeing rusher & then perhaps a modest effort at making contact. Very simple.
Like in soccer, force everything outside. Force them to travel a longer distance goinig around you than giving a direct line to punter. I'd teach that for $20 on a saturday

Lol now wins don’t matter.

I swear it is absolutely disgusting how so many of you do mental gymnastics to make excuses for Mario.

We haven’t won a bowl game since 2016 and before the bowl game, the narrative was “8 wins would be a successful season.”

Now wins don’t matter and the bowl doesn’t matter. The bar just continues to plummet.

Advertisement
Like in soccer, force everything outside. Force them to travel a longer distance goinig around you than giving a direct line to punter. I'd teach that for $20 on a saturday
Hopefully you also teach the part about making contact with incoming rusher.

I dont think DBs are quick enough to play tight coverage.

When Moten was in, there seemed to be success stopping the run.Even w/ Lichtenstein who's close to Medicare eligibility
I noticed the same thing always two steps behind.
Rutgers not a throwing team but we made them one , maybe because we couldn’t stop the BEST RB in the country he reminded me of that Seatle Sea hawk RB 3 years ago a bull RB with speed?

I agree with much of what you said especially about Jacurri. If he leaves for a team that believes in his abilities, coaches that can make him a better player, and play in a system fit for him then I think he can blossom as a college QB. It will be our loss if he left but if I was him I would move on. Mario is completely lost as a head coach and can only recruit. Remember, JB threw a dime and bullet on the first play long pass and if Jacoby George caught it then we might have had a TD. Instead he dropped it and then made a fool of himself. The first incident George had would have been his last for that day if I was coach. Mario is not only a major detriment to this team during the game but there is zero discipline with no consequences. The UM brass should force Mario to hire a FT assistant to make ALL game time decisions. Again, Mario played the wrong players and didn't let enough young players get an opportunity to play. He is the biggest problem for this team without a doubt.

I was at the game with my son and one glaring thing stuck out which was we looked flat in pre-game warmups, during the game etc. You could see the Rutgers players had more emotion, more energy, etc. It was like the Pinstripe Bowl was their Super Bowl and our guys just came to play and not get hurt.

@dukemv I agree with your sentiments though. One last thing and we shouldn’t discount - their Running Back I believe led the Big10 in rushing so it wasn’t Iike we didn’t play a good back.

Advertisement
Back