Real Takeaways from Pinstripe Bowl 23

1) Personnel selections of Gore and Lou Cristobal starting led to 14-0 deficit early on. With McCoy substituted, run game improved. Gore was getting washed every play and they attacked wherever he was

2) Jacolby George smh. So tired of seeing him jawing and making boneheaded plays. And the other dude who took a cheap shot at the punter... it's the punter.

3) LB play leaves a lot to be desired (besides Mauigoa who was the best player on defense for most of the season). Bissainthe doesn't have physicality to be a run-stopper and falls for eye candy relatively easily. Jayden Wayne doesn't have the physicality yet, either, but I really think he'll be good. He seems to be around the ball most of the time.

4) Guidry is really good at making adjustments

5) For someone as particular as Coach Cristobal, you would think he would figure out how to stop getting punts blocked by now

I thought the offensive approach was good after we got down 14-0 lol. They started opening up passes (Brown has a rocket for an arm), utilizing more perimeter runs, and even had a TE catch a ball for once lol. It seemed like when the team got the lead, Cristobal, or whoever, tried to rein in the offense. Then they get behind on offense, give up a couple scores, then have to open up again to try to get back in the game. I really think Jacurri Brown played well, though. He did a great job leadinig the team to that score at the end of the half. I just hate how the offense needs to be behind or at the end of the game/half to move with urgency and take shots down the field. I don't think this loss is on the players, though; I think it's on personnel selections and whoever is leading the offense trying to play it safe once they got a little lead.

You could recruit an all-world team of 5 stars, but if they keep playing it safe, this will keep happening imo.

Overall thought it was a very solid performance given the personnel available. I'm not sure Rutgers had anyone opt out, and this was basically the B squad given injuries and opt-outs. Gives me hope the players will catch up to competition. Just need the coaching to stay ahead.

Curious what more knowledgable football minds think @lindend @Lance Roffers
Several high profile Canes commentators warned us prior to the Cristobal hire.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back