REAL Story behind Football Team Boycott, sitting out !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I'm a black freshman at the University of Missouri and the environment here is getting extremely toxic. We have a man on a a hunger strike that has given a DNR to doctors, students boycotting anything University of Missouri, Students camping out in tiger plaza, and now student athletes refusing to play. I'm not going to go as far as to call Wolfe a racist but the way he has handled this ongoing situation is horrible and he really should resign.

How is he mishandling the situation.

He has refused to say anything. He is pretty much acting like nothing is happening

Yank the scholarships, empty the dorm rooms of those whose scholarships have been pulled - done and done.

Every day of inaction just makes everything worse.

Dont disagree with what they are trying to accomplish....but Curious as to why they waited till after their game on Saturday. Why didnt they do something before? All of this stuff happened more than 2 weeks ago

Safe to say they probably have "professional troublemakers" on campus as they did in Ferguson egging the whole thing on. Then when the place goes down in flames they can all file lawsuits against the university, the city, the cops, the fire dept. & anyone else some ambulance chasing lawyer can dream up.

Advertisement
I wonder if Pinkel would have any interest in being our next coach. This guy has developed some nasty players.

You want a coach that supports some of his players turning their backs on the team?

They are a team, find another way to protest, but don't be selfish to your teammates

The kids need a leader, they are being steered in the wrong direction

Dont disagree with what they are trying to accomplish....but Curious as to why they waited till after their game on Saturday. Why didnt they do something before? All of this stuff happened more than 2 weeks ago
Seems they gave them an opportunity to address it and they didn't. Pretty basic.

(CNN) More than 30 players of University of Missouri football players are boycotting games and practice until the school's president resigns over accusations of mishandling race issues.

The players pictured above announced the decision Saturday night in a tweet posted by Missouri's Legion of Black Collegians. It included a picture of the players and came nearly a week after student Jonathan Butler went on hunger strike to demand the removal of President Tim Wolfe.

In recent weeks, students have accused Wolfe of an inadequate response to racism. In one such incident, a swastika was placed in a dorm, sparking more outrage, students said.

The University of Missouri-Columbia has a population of 35,000 students, 17% of whom are minorities, the campus says on its website. Wolfe apologized to students Friday, saying he has met campus representatives to seek their input.

"Racism does exist at our university and it is unacceptable," he said in a statement Friday. "It is a long-standing, systemic problem which daily affects our family of students, faculty and staff. I am sorry this is the case I truly want all members of our university community to feel included, valued and safe."

The university's athletics department said it stood by the students. "The department of athletics is aware of the declarations made tonight by many of our student-athletes," it said in a statement.

"We must come together with leaders from across our campus to tackle these challenging issues and we support our athletes right to do so." Wolfe is the president the Missouri System, which is made up of the University of Missouri-Columbia, where the students are protesting. The other three are the University of Missouri-St. Louis, University of Missouri Kansas City and the Missouri University of Science and Technology.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is very powerful stuff and strong influence by University Football players. You can’t help but wonder whether the State of Missouri and its head Honchos would allow its team to continue losing with the subsequent community morale and fan satisfaction heading to an all-time gutter; after all, this ain’t UMiami’s Admin & BoT with its legendary apathy and incompetence.

Relatedly, but of a lesser degree of seriousness on the social scale, one can’t help but to wonder what would happen? 1.)) if University of Miami Football players win all but one of their remaining games, or the rest of games all together. 2.) Then, the returning players, along with some support from SWAG16, demand that the University remove the Interim tag from Larry Scott to hire as THE new HC or they will not practice nor play in the bowl game.

If Larry Scott does not get the HC job--and I don't think he should, even if he wins out--it won't be because of racism.

A few minutes ago, before I opened this website for the first time today, I was thinking about how much I like Scott and the job he's done. I am hoping he does, and I believe he can, win out.

The big issue is, whether he has had experience as a head coach before. I think that is crucial. You might disagree.

This was one of Sam Jankovich's basic requirements, based on his extensive experience as an AD, he always wanted someone with a track record running a program. He had been burned at one of his prior schools when he elevated an assistant. That is why he hired JJ and then Erickson, and had some proven success with three NC's. (Although many fans during that era did not like Erickson, and felt like the program was starting to go downhill at the end of his tenure.)

I think the new coach should be one with a proven track record running a program, and that he be brought in with the understanding that Coach Scott (and some of our other assistants stay) and that Coach Scott be named Assistant Head Coach.

Frankly, the way I saw our defense gang tackling, at least at times, I'm wondering if maybe Golden had handcuffed D'Onofrio. Of course making such a suggestion on this board is equivalent to sacreligious and will bring down the wraths of the Gods on me. (I realize that at times they killed us on the edge, but even our best teams at times have shown various intermittent vulnerabilities, like the way Ironhead Heyward gored us for over 200 yards in 200).

If Scott does not get the job, it won't be because of racism, and I'm sick of hearing that kind of allegation all the time, even when when street thugs commit crimes and bring on their own downfalls. Scott won't get it because of lack of a proven head coaching track record, but I really, really like the guy, and think he should be part of our program going forward and hope he stays in an elevated position, like at least Asst. Head Coach. Hopefully, his next position after that would be a lower level head coaching position or maybe a coordinator position, so his career stays on an upward trajectory. I think he's already a gem as an assistant.

Safe to say they probably have "professional troublemakers" on campus as they did in Ferguson egging the whole thing on. Then when the place goes down in flames they can all file lawsuits against the university, the city, the cops, the fire dept. & anyone else some ambulance chasing lawyer can dream up.

Agreed. Thanks for having the guts to point this out. Ferguson cop clearly acted in self defense against an attack by a three hundred pound maniac who was trying to get his gun.

Advertisement
Feux outrage by victim status seeking millenials. Revoke their scholarships.

Advertisement
Advertisement
As I speculated these kids are being used.
Big liberal agenda DIVIDE

Their list of demands just made them seem radical, even if there was really something there.

follow the money here

Bunch of entitled millenials pvssies. Every little injustice is bullying or racism. Fckng life is hard, no reason to make it Hollywood drama. Do and be the best you can be and everything works itself out

I'm a black freshman at the University of Missouri and the environment here is getting extremely toxic. We have a man on a a hunger strike that has given a DNR to doctors, students boycotting anything University of Missouri, Students camping out in tiger plaza, and now student athletes refusing to play. I'm not going to go as far as to call Wolfe a racist but the way he has handled this ongoing situation is horrible and he really should resign.

How is he mishandling the situation.

He has refused to say anything. He is pretty much acting like nothing is happening

I mean a similar incident happened at UM last year or the year before. Someone drew a swastika in the bathroom and there really wasn't anything after that. I doubt that is the real reason they are protesting in MO. Swastika is a symbol of hate period, not just towards people of color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back