REAL Story behind Football Team Boycott, sitting out !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cane2

Band
Banned
Missouri football players to boycott until president Tim Wolfe resigns
The University of Missouri-Columbia has a population of 35,000 students, 17% of whom are minorities, the campus says on its website.
View attachment 33516
Missouri president Tim Wolfe said that racism does exist at the school.

"Racism does exist at our university and it is unacceptable," he said in a statement Friday. "It is a long-standing, systemic problem which daily affects our family of students, faculty and staff. I am sorry this is the case I truly want all members of our university community to feel included, valued and safe."

The university's athletics department said it stood by the students.

"The department of athletics is aware of the declarations made tonight by many of our student-athletes," it said in a statement. "We must come together with leaders from across our campus to tackle these challenging issues and we support our athletes right to do so."

Members of the University of Missouri football team say they "will no longer participate in any football related activities until President Tim Wolfe resigns or is removed." Wolfe has been criticized for his response to student concerns over racism.

More than 30 football players at the University of Missouri will not participate in any practices or games until Missouri System president Tim Wolfe resigns or is terminated. Several black team members announced their decision to strike on social media Saturday night and Missouri's Legion of Black Collegians posted a statement on behalf of the team with a picture of players unified in support of the boycott.

Wolfe's response to a series of racist incidents has been considered inadequate by many students who believe racism has poisoned the campus. A graduate student, Jonathan Butler, announced earlier in the week he was going on a hunger strike until Wolfe was removed. The most recent racist incident came Oct. 24 when a swastika was drawn with human ***** on a college dorm's white wall.

Sophomore defensive back Anthony Sherrils tweeted: "The athletes of color on the University of Missouri football team truly believe "Injustice Anywhere is a threat to Justice Everywhere" We will no longer participate in any football related activities until president Tim Wolfe resigns or is removed due to his negligence toward marginalized students' experiences. WE ARE UNITED!!!!!!"

Several more African-American players, including senior running back and team captain Russell Hansbrough, followed with a series of passionate tweets. Missouri’s student body is 77% white and 7% black, while 58 of the school’s 84 scholarship football players are African-American.

Missouri's athletic department issued a statement saying it's "aware of the declarations made tonight by many of our student-athletes. We all must come together with leaders from across our campus to tackle these challenging issues and we support our student-athletes right to do so."

Junior cornerback John Gibson tweeted that the Tigers' coaching staff and white teammates were also in support of the strike. And offensive lineman Paul Adams, a white player, expressed his support publicly on Twitter.

In the 15 months since African-American teenager Michael Brown was fatally shot by a white police officer in Ferguson, Mo., universities around the country have become home to protests. Missouri's campus in Columbia sits about two hours west of Ferguson.

Wolfe is the president for the Missouri System, which consists of four universities: University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou), University of Missouri-St. Louis, Missouri S&T and University of Missouri Kansas City. Missouri's chancellor is R. Bowen Loftin.

Wolfe issued a statement apologizing for his reaction at Missouri's homecoming parade when the ConcernedStudent1950 group approached his car. "My behavior seemed like I did not care. That was not my intention. I was caught off guard in the moment," he wrote. "I am asking us to move forward in addressing the racism that exists at our university — and it does exist."

The most recent previous strike in college football came at Grambling State in 2013 when players protested for poor working conditions.

Missouri lost Thursday 31-13 to Mississippi State with so many players sitting out. Its next slated game is Nov. 14 against BYU.

Advertisement
(CNN) More than 30 players of University of Missouri football players are boycotting games and practice until the school's president resigns over accusations of mishandling race issues.

The players pictured above announced the decision Saturday night in a tweet posted by Missouri's Legion of Black Collegians. It included a picture of the players and came nearly a week after student Jonathan Butler went on hunger strike to demand the removal of President Tim Wolfe.

In recent weeks, students have accused Wolfe of an inadequate response to racism. In one such incident, a swastika was placed in a dorm, sparking more outrage, students said.

The University of Missouri-Columbia has a population of 35,000 students, 17% of whom are minorities, the campus says on its website. Wolfe apologized to students Friday, saying he has met campus representatives to seek their input.

"Racism does exist at our university and it is unacceptable," he said in a statement Friday. "It is a long-standing, systemic problem which daily affects our family of students, faculty and staff. I am sorry this is the case I truly want all members of our university community to feel included, valued and safe."

The university's athletics department said it stood by the students. "The department of athletics is aware of the declarations made tonight by many of our student-athletes," it said in a statement.

"We must come together with leaders from across our campus to tackle these challenging issues and we support our athletes right to do so." Wolfe is the president the Missouri System, which is made up of the University of Missouri-Columbia, where the students are protesting. The other three are the University of Missouri-St. Louis, University of Missouri Kansas City and the Missouri University of Science and Technology.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is very powerful stuff and strong influence by University Football players. You can’t help but wonder whether the State of Missouri and its head Honchos would allow its team to continue losing with the subsequent community morale and fan satisfaction heading to an all-time gutter; after all, this ain’t UMiami’s Admin & BoT with its legendary apathy and incompetence.

Relatedly, but of a lesser degree of seriousness on the social scale, one can’t help but to wonder what would happen? 1.)) if University of Miami Football players win all but one of their remaining games, or the rest of games all together. 2.) Then, the returning players, along with some support from SWAG16, demand that the University remove the Interim tag from Larry Scott to hire as THE new HC or they will not practice nor play in the bowl game.

(CNN) More than 30 players of University of Missouri football players are boycotting games and practice until the school's president resigns over accusations of mishandling race issues.

The players pictured above announced the decision Saturday night in a tweet posted by Missouri's Legion of Black Collegians. It included a picture of the players and came nearly a week after student Jonathan Butler went on hunger strike to demand the removal of President Tim Wolfe.

In recent weeks, students have accused Wolfe of an inadequate response to racism. In one such incident, a swastika was placed in a dorm, sparking more outrage, students said.

The University of Missouri-Columbia has a population of 35,000 students, 17% of whom are minorities, the campus says on its website. Wolfe apologized to students Friday, saying he has met campus representatives to seek their input.

The university's athletics department said it stood by the students. "The department of athletics is aware of the declarations made tonight by many of our student-athletes," it said in a statement.

"We must come together with leaders from across our campus to tackle these challenging issues and we support our athletes right to do so." Wolfe is the president the Missouri System, which is made up of the University of Missouri-Columbia, where the students are protesting. The other three are the University of Missouri-St. Louis, University of Missouri Kansas City and the Missouri University of Science and Technology.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

This is very powerful stuff and strong influence by University Football players. You can’t help but wonder whether the State of Missouri and its head Honchos would allow its team to continue losing with the subsequent community morale and fan satisfaction heading to an all-time gutter; after all, this ain’t UMiami’s Admin & BoT with its legendary apathy and incompetence.

Relatedly, but of a lesser degree of seriousness on the social scale, one can’t help but to wonder what would happen? 1.)) if University of Miami Football players win all but one of their remaining games, or the rest of games all together. 2.) Then, the returning players, along with some support from SWAG16, demand that the University remove the Interim tag from Larry Scott to hire as THE new HC or they will not practice nor play in the bowl game.

Our players kept never did crap to get rid of Al. I wouldn't expect them to but why should they have a voice in the replacement. We did that once and got Larry Coker. That is more than enough Larry's chosen by players for me. Scott looks like he has promise. Hopefully Butch will agree and keep him. Otherwise, dude is doing **** putting on heck of an interview for his next gig. Let's not get carried away. This is more about how good our kids are when the cuffs come off than Scott being the next Bear.

If they are refusing to play then they should have scholarship revoked.

Advertisement
I'm a black freshman at the University of Missouri and the environment here is getting extremely toxic. We have a man on a a hunger strike that has given a DNR to doctors, students boycotting anything University of Missouri, Students camping out in tiger plaza, and now student athletes refusing to play. I'm not going to go as far as to call Wolfe a racist but the way he has handled this ongoing situation is horrible and he really should resign.

did you really use this Missouri story as a lame pitch to retain Larry Scott as HC? seriously wtf is wrong with you?

Junior cornerback John Gibson tweeted that the Tigers' coaching staff and white teammates were also in support of the strike. And offensive lineman Paul Adams, a white player, expressed his support publicly on Twitter.

Coaches should stay neutral on this.

I agree, but i dont know enough about the alleged apathy by the president or the "racism." from what i read some jacka$s drew a swastika on a wall in a dorm, not exactly sure what the president is supposed to do about that, except tell the janitor to clean it up. At the end of the day though its still a privelege to go to college, especially for free.

Advertisement
I'm a black freshman at the University of Missouri and the environment here is getting extremely toxic. We have a man on a a hunger strike that has given a DNR to doctors, students boycotting anything University of Missouri, Students camping out in tiger plaza, and now student athletes refusing to play. I'm not going to go as far as to call Wolfe a racist but the way he has handled this ongoing situation is horrible and he really should resign.

So what are the real issues there?
These news stories are lazy and lack facts as usual, cant be over some punk smearing crap.

How is he mishandling the situation.

They on strike because theIr team sucks anyway. Easy to go on strike when your 4-5

Advertisement
I wonder if Pinkel would have any interest in being our next coach. This guy has developed some nasty players.

I still don't understand what this is all about. Aside from the swastika incident what else happened?

Advertisement
If we beat UNC, we need to hire a HC immediately or there is a real risk of the players calling for Scott. It's the reason I didn't want Ice to be named interim

Well what has really precipitated this is that the guy on the hunger strike, Jonathan Butler, and a lot of African American students and faculty have been complaining about racism on campus. But lately there has been a increased level of protest on campus because many students (some racist, most ignorant) have been saying things like the N Word on in real life and social media, drawing racist symbols, and even threatening to hurt African Americans for events that they aren't "meant" to be attending. In response to this, Mr. Butler sent a series of emails to higher up at Mizzou (especially Tim Wolfe) asking to meet with them to discuss problems that African Americans are facing. I do not know know exactly how many emails he sent but before he began his hunger strike, he released them and it was a pretty large number. In some of the emails, he had a list of changes that he wanted to see on campus. But these people didn't really seem to care at all so Mr. Butler decided to go radical and begin a hunger strike until either 1. Mr. Wolfe decides to meet with him and discuss the problems at hand or 2. He dies (He signed a DNR which makes it illegal for medical professionals to help him if he passes out or his vitals get to dangerous levels).

It has been approximately 7 days since the hunger strike began I believe and Mr.Butler is staying in a hospital. He posts updates on his well being on facebook relatively often (https://www.facebook.com/Butler.L.Jonathan?fref=nf)

Sorry if I missed anything or if what I wrote is difficult to understand. I'm not a journalism major, I'm engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back