Read option with Perry

Canesfan1899

All-American
Premium
If we went to more spread and read option QB run game would that get the opposing DL on their heels? At this point, I'm grasping at straws looking for ways to help this line and wonder if this would be enough to at least slow the pass rush? And I'm sure Enos would rather run more traditional pro-style sets but this seems like an area where N'Kosi could give us an advantage.

Advertisement
I hate the read option if the QB is not going to run. No RPO.

They will never do it but you just need to spread them out and use a quicker passing game. You could watch a dozen games this weekend and see QBs all throwing the ball at 2 seconds or less.

If we do the same the OL has 100x less pressure.

This is what’s mind boggling to me. Why do we continue to get coaches who are more willing to force their system that doesn’t work with our talent as opposed to coming in evaluating what they do have, and using a system geared TOWARDS THAT. It’s like we only find stubborn coaches. Year one work with what you got. Then get the swags needed to run YOUR system.

This is what’s mind boggling to me. Why do we continue to get coaches who are more willing to force their system that doesn’t work with our talent as opposed to coming in evaluating what they do have, and using a system geared TOWARDS THAT. It’s like we only find stubborn coaches. Year one work with what you got. Then get the swags needed to run YOUR system.
over the centuries many wise men have tried to answer your question and went insane, Grasshopper.

Enos said he would tailor the offense to his QB. Well we have a dual-threat shotgun QB starting Friday, time to put his money where his mouth is.

Advertisement
There is only so much an OC can do to hide the OL, at some point those guys upfront have to perform at a certain standard, if we run an offense like we did on the second half we should be ok for the rest of the year. We will give up sacks, because apparently UM doesn't have 5 P5 Lineman on the roster or at least a coach that can coach a P5 unit

I hate the read option if the QB is not going to run. No RPO.

They will never do it but you just need to spread them out and use a quicker passing game. You could watch a dozen games this weekend and see QBs all throwing the ball at 2 seconds or less.

If we do the same the OL has 100x less pressure.

And Perry would give you the ability to run out of the RPO which gives the defense even more to contend with.

There is only so much an OC can do to hide the OL, at some point those guys upfront have to perform at a certain standard, if we run an offense like we did on the second half we should be ok for the rest of the year. We will give up sacks, because apparently UM doesn't have 5 P5 Lineman on the roster or at least a coach that can coach a P5 unit

I agree with you but I don't believe Enos has done much to protect this line.

Agree 100%, especially before last game Enos was calling games that didn't match our OL talent. I think he improved on that on the second half (hope it continues) and even then we gave up like 4/5 sacks. We just don't have a real P5 OL, they can't even run block

Advertisement
It would definitely help. We wouldn't need Perry to run the ball 15 times a game, but the threat of him keeping it on a read option would for sure help hold the backside DE giving our RBs cutback lanes.

Just f'ing spread them out. That's it! Miami's offense looked great vs VT..when spread out. Miami's offense last year vs Pitt looked great...when spread out. Don't make the defense play close to each other where you neuter Miami's speed.

Then, once ALL THIS has been established for a couple qtr.'s, you run a 3 or 5 drop play action.

Advertisement
Dont worry, he will be undercenter pro style bro with the 5'7 180 pound fullback to hit him in the flat bro.. Used to love when we ran that play o Quadtrine Hill, always caught the defense off guard for 3 yards back in the day. NFLU bro, pro style bro..

Plus Enos said you can see the field better under center..

Perry is not a read zone qb. That doesn't mean we can't do ANY read zone with him.

I don't think he's an RPO QB either but it doesn't mean we shouldn't do any RPO with him.

Heavy RPO, some read zone will be fine with me.

Advertisement
Our OL though regardless of scheme

1570646707677.png

I think that what they were hoping for is that JW could manage the game while learning and the defense would keep them in games enough to win. We really should be undefeated right now, and maybe we would be if we had taken a different approach offensively. I thought we were going to have an attacking style of offense....

Advertisement
Back