Read Option - Rosier

iLoveTDs

Junior
Banned
I can count about 4 times in the UNC game where Rosier made the wrong read and either kept it or gave it to Homer.

Here's a 2nd and 10 after we block a punt. The DE does NOT crash, and the OL creates a beautiful lane for Homer (Donaldson is in on this play). Rosier decides to keep and run right into traffic.

1:29:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnIEqYyPyUA

There was one earlier where the DE crashed and Rosier didn't keep it (had a ton of running room). Lots of examples like this. Does Thomas Brown or Richt have a lot of experience teaching this to QBs? I guess in theory it can't be that hard to teach, but I don't know.

Advertisement
It is a split second decision, but I have noticed this as well. A couple times a game he seems to make the wrong decision.

Love the kid but he make's the wrong decision all the time on the read. If he made the right read near the end zone our touchdown percentage would be MUCH higher.

I'd prefer we stop with the RPO when Rosier is in the game. Even last year, when Richt scrapped it after Kaaya struggled, the offense improved dramatically. Shades of Al Golden's marriage to a "system" and "process" despite a lack of on-field results. Starting to make same excuses- just wait until he gets all his own players, team needs more experience running it, etc. Last year we got better when we moved away from the RPO, and this year the offense, with a QB who theoretically should be better at it, is also struggling. Would rather see Rosier in a more standard spread offense with motion to help him with pre snap reads. He can still use his running abilities to pick up yards, but take the burden of looking for the RPO read off him as it just slows him down mentally and it looks like he has trouble finding his wrs again once he decides to pull ball.

However, I think there is room for something RPO'ish- a Wildcat package with Dallas in backfield and Homer lined up wide. Dallas showed his explosiveness in UNC game. It would put tremendous stress on a defense to surprise a defense with a Wildcat package and I think Dallas would easily pick up 4-5 yards a pop running inside as it would flatten out the defense to cover the sweeps.

At worst, the Wildcat doesn't work but we can at least have some relief that Richt is trying to show creativity in the offense.

Last edited:
I noticed this on the first two plays of the game. If he keeps he gains 15 yards on each play. They were keying on Homer, he hands off, and he gets stuffed. Needs to be more aware.

Advertisement
I wouldn't scrap it. Perry will be running it in the future and that's probably a good thing.

Lot more options with getting Perry out on the edge to run or pass.

One other thing - if there was ever a week to try the Wildcat, this is it. Richt already said Rosier isn't going to throw until Tuesday because of shoulder. VT will smell blood in water and will figure out a way to get to Rosier a few times. It's inevitable that Rosier is going to get hit hard. If we lose him, we are done for the season. If he is hesitant to run or misfiring because of shoulder pain it's game over. Sherriffs isn't going to save the day. Our one chance would be to generate some offense on the ground, and since we have established that we can't just push anyone off the ball, the Wildcat gives the best opportunity to generate a run game. As added bonuses: 1) you can be pretty **** sure that VT hasn't schemed against it 2) you get more of your best athletes (Dallas) on the field, and 3) as a former qb Dallas can actually make a few passes to WRs who will be in 1 on 1 coverage and should have some wide open pass lanes.

One other thing - if there was ever a week to try the Wildcat, this is it. Richt already said Rosier isn't going to throw until Tuesday because of shoulder. VT will smell blood in water and will figure out a way to get to Rosier a few times. It's inevitable that Rosier is going to get hit hard. If we lose him, we are done for the season. If he is hesitant to run or misfiring because of shoulder pain it's game over. Sherriffs isn't going to save the day. Our one chance would be to generate some offense on the ground, and since we have established that we can't just push anyone off the ball, the Wildcat gives the best opportunity to generate a run game. As added bonuses: 1) you can be pretty **** sure that VT hasn't schemed against it 2) you get more of your best athletes (Dallas) on the field, and 3) as a former qb Dallas can actually make a few passes to WRs who will be in 1 on 1 coverage and should have some wide open pass lanes.

Fat chance. I doubt we've ever run it in practice under Richt.

Advertisement
Love the kid but he make's the wrong decision all the time on the read. If he made the right read near the end zone our touchdown percentage would be MUCH higher.

This all day.

Probably the worse of all of his decision making. Probably 5-7 times a game he makes the wrong read.

Fat chance. I doubt we've ever run it in practice under Richt.

You are probably right. And that's too bad because I don't think it wouldn't take all that long to install since we run a similar blocking scheme already in RPO. If Rosier goes out, we're sunk. If we have a package that helps generate a ground game, we still have a chance against a blitz heavy defense. Just don't like putting all our eggs in one basket, with an already injured qb when we have the perfect personnel to run a Wildcat package.

I can count about 4 times in the UNC game where Rosier made the wrong read and either kept it or gave it to Homer.

Here's a 2nd and 10 after we block a punt. The DE does NOT crash, and the OL creates a beautiful lane for Homer (Donaldson is in on this play). Rosier decides to keep and run right into traffic.

There was one earlier where the DE crashed and Rosier didn't keep it (had a ton of running room). Lots of examples like this. Does Thomas Brown or Richt have a lot of experience teaching this to QBs? I guess in theory it can't be that hard to teach, but I don't know.

The lane wasn't one Homer likely sees as he is more of a downhill runner vs. cut-back (Walton) type. How about the play before? Richards drops a pass that nets Miami 5 or more yards. Sure, Rosier could have thrown a better pass but it was catchable.

The lane wasn't one Homer likely sees as he is more of a downhill runner vs. cut-back (Walton) type. How about the play before? Richards drops a pass that nets Miami 5 or more yards. Sure, Rosier could have thrown a better pass but it was catchable.

I didn't think it was catchable.

Advertisement
Are we still confusing the read-option with the RPO?

As far as I understand the systems, the RPO still requires a post snap look at the lb or db to either draw them in or get them to drop into coverage, then qb has to make decision to hand off or pass based on how the lb or db reacted. Am I missing something?

In either case, RPO or read option, I think it is giving the qb too much to think about. We argued about the RPO last year- whether it was ineffective because Kaaya was a statue, with some posters correctly pointing out that the RPO doesn't involve a QB who runs, while others insisted it would be more effective with a mobile qb. Well, we have a mobile qb now and our offense is still anemic. We had a coach before who refused to acknowledge when his system didn't work. Maybe we don't have the personnel yet, or the qb is making the wrong decision, or maybe it's possible defenses have simply figured out how to more effectively defend the RPO. Don't know the answer. Whatever the reason, we aren't able to have any consistency on offense.

Last edited:
Do people not realize Richt is almost certainly telling Rosier to not keep the ball, even if it's not the right read?

Rosier has a bad shoulder, Richt pretty obviously doesn't want him taking hits. It's pretty telling that when the game was on the line though, Rosier DID make the right read.

Also, Kaaya made the wrong read 95% of the time last year, so Rosier is still a godsend however you slice it

Advertisement

I didn't think it was catchable.

It hit him in the hands and right out of his cut. It was low and may be a little in front of him but it hit him in the hands. At worst, he could have went down to catch the ball for a 5 yard gain. It was far from a good throw but I do think Richards makes that catch last year.

Do people not realize Richt is almost certainly telling Rosier to not keep the ball, even if it's not the right read?

Rosier has a bad shoulder, Richt pretty obviously doesn't want him taking hits. It's pretty telling that when the game was on the line though, Rosier DID make the right read.

Also, Kaaya made the wrong read 95% of the time last year, so Rosier is still a godsend however you slice it

If the QB is not going to keep the offense is useless. Rosier is missing some reads that could keep the offense on schedule as far as down and distance.

Are we still confusing the read-option with the RPO?

As far as I understand the systems, the RPO still requires a post snap look at the lb or db to either draw them in or get them to drop into coverage, then qb has to make decision to hand off or pass based on how the lb or db reacted. Am I missing something?

In either case, RPO or read option, I think it is giving the qb too much to think about. We argued about the RPO last year- whether it was ineffective because Kaaya was a statue, with some posters correctly pointing out that the RPO doesn't involve a QB who runs, while others insisted it would be more effective with a mobile qb. Well, we have a mobile qb now and our offense is still anemic. We had a coach before who refused to acknowledge when his system didn't work. Maybe we don't have the personnel yet, or the qb is making the wrong decision, or maybe it's possible defenses have simply figured out how to more effectively defend the RPO. Don't know the answer. Whatever the reason, we aren't able to have any consistency on offense.

I feel like you definitely do not have a functioning understanding of these two offenses. Simplicity is precisely why you run RPO and Read Option. In the RO the QB literally has one read, the play side DE. If the DE crashes down on the RB, keep the ball. If the DE plays outside contain to respect the QB keep? Give. The beauty is in the simplicity.

RPO can be a little less simple, but only barely so. It usually keys on a single DB and which direction he's cheating. If he's out over the slot, run the ball. If he starts leveraging towards the box to help guard against the run, throw it right behind him with slants, arrows, and screens.

I have no idea what is causing Rosier to misread the read option, but it doesn't get much simpler. If you think a guy who is struggling to make the right read in the RO is going to be able to identify coverage combos through motion and alignment, you've lost your mind.

Advertisement
Back