Read Option - Rosier

Advertisement
Do people not realize Richt is almost certainly telling Rosier to not keep the ball, even if it's not the right read?

Rosier has a bad shoulder, Richt pretty obviously doesn't want him taking hits. It's pretty telling that when the game was on the line though, Rosier DID make the right read.

Also, Kaaya made the wrong read 95% of the time last year, so Rosier is still a godsend however you slice it

Why would he run the read/option if he didn't want Rosier to be a running threat? Defeats the purpose.

And he has kept it, so that kinda debunks that theory.

Are we still confusing the read-option with the RPO?

As far as I understand the systems, the RPO still requires a post snap look at the lb or db to either draw them in or get them to drop into coverage, then qb has to make decision to hand off or pass based on how the lb or db reacted. Am I missing something?

In either case, RPO or read option, I think it is giving the qb too much to think about. We argued about the RPO last year- whether it was ineffective because Kaaya was a statue, with some posters correctly pointing out that the RPO doesn't involve a QB who runs, while others insisted it would be more effective with a mobile qb. Well, we have a mobile qb now and our offense is still anemic. We had a coach before who refused to acknowledge when his system didn't work. Maybe we don't have the personnel yet, or the qb is making the wrong decision, or maybe it's possible defenses have simply figured out how to more effectively defend the RPO. Don't know the answer. Whatever the reason, we aren't able to have any consistency on offense.

I mean, our QB runs RPO's on the high school level. It's not that difficult. The QB's only reading one guy. If the guy comes, I throw. If the guy stays, I hand the ball off. To be fair, our QB is not very good at it. That may be Rosier's problem as well. I see him mis-read the read/option occasionally.

Maybe Richt gives him too much free will to make decisions, or puts too much on his plate. Maybe during the 2nd half of games Richt takes the freedom out of Rosier's hands and starts TELLING him where to go with the ball?

Do people not realize Richt is almost certainly telling Rosier to not keep the ball, even if it's not the right read?

Rosier has a bad shoulder, Richt pretty obviously doesn't want him taking hits. It's pretty telling that when the game was on the line though, Rosier DID make the right read.

Also, Kaaya made the wrong read 95% of the time last year, so Rosier is still a godsend however you slice it

Everything you said was made up on the spot.

Advertisement
This may be a case where the stats don't tell the whole story. If AR82 doesn't have butterfingers in the Syracuse game, we blow them out. Maybe that silences some critics. GT game, if GT doesn't get the fluke TD on the onside kick, I feel we had taken control by end of 2nd quarter, and also win by comfortable margin. Duke, BCU, and Toledo were all dominant offensive performances. So that leaves two legit non - performance games : fsu and UNC. FSU was going to be a dogfight no matter what, and I think if Homer plays over a one legged Walton we also win by a larger margin. Regardless, FSU has the best D we will face until Clemson. So the one game with a truly "bad" offensive performance was UNC, where we managed only 24 points against a depleted team. Upon closer examination, it sounds like 1) Rosier was making some bad reads and had lots of big play opportunities and 2) UNC might have stolen signs and knew what plays we were running. If the latter is true, then more credit to Richt for still managing to get the W. Also possible it was a classic trap game and players were focused on VT. So other that UNC it looks like the RPO actually worked pretty well.

Rosier is learning. He will have spring and fall practice before next season starts. A long way from.being our best qb ever but how many have won the first 8 games they started in Cane history. He is proving he has a winning mentality and that is as important as any stat.

Dam, do you have a headset or you're standing on the sideline with CMR. How do you know what CMR is telling the qb...its on the qb to read effectively for run or pass based on pre snap defense alignment. Qb has the option to keep in either case. That would be idiotic to think a coach is running an RPO offense but insist on the qb handing it off.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back