Re-watched 2017 ND game

It’s near the top of any game I’ve ever attended, even going back to the OB days. The atmosphere that night was special, and we saw things I’ve never seen at any other game in Hard Rock.

Student seating completely full well before kickoff, when the drum part kicked in during In The Air Tonight, and then everyone started singing along after, I knew right then we weren’t losing on that night.

I remember there was an article by an ND writer after who said even he knew as soon as they walked into that stadium, the Domers had zero chance of winning that game.

That game film should be a perfect depiction of the atmosphere this program could have at Hard Rock if we get things on the right path.

Advertisement
It was one of the most intense home field advantages I've ever witnessed -- and I've been everywhere and to every big Miami game over 40 years. I was in the first row and it's the first time since the Washington game in the OB where the players on the other side looked intimidated before the game started. I think all those players grew up thinking no one goes to Miami games and the shock of the crowd shook them to their bones. That stadium is about as loud as it gets on a night like that.
Exactly!! Which is why I have always said the stadium crap is just that. Put a good & solid product on the field and the fans will come and they will make HR an amazing home field advantage. Many of us witnessed it with our own eyes & ears.

The Bandy interception nearly blew the top off that place.

1636426871921.jpeg

Dicht was "No Mas" before Pitt. That UVA game was the revenge of reality.

Terrible coaching in every game, ND was an outlier.

Advertisement
I see your 2017 UM vs ND game...and raise you 1989s UM vs ND game....Never in over 40yrs of going to UM games have I heard such noise...not just the game...but before and after....Loudest game in OB History...Dolphins or Canes....
3rd and 33....never forget it

Had we won at Pitt that year we would have ended ranked #1 at the end of the regular season prior to the conference championship games…because Bama lost that weekend. Going in to the Acc champ game ranked #1, even with a 14-21 point loss to Clemson we would have gotten in to the playoff.

Still baffles me how that team lost to that 3-8 Pitt team…that Richt offense really was abysmal. Manny’s defense also made Pickett look like a Heisman candidate that day. I had no doubt we’d win that game…I actually thought we’d finally blow out a lesser ACC team after all those close wins that year to UNC, GT, Syracuse, etc. Boy was I wrong.

Clemson would have still boat raced us.

This. That team was fun to watch, and came out to destroy VT and ND, but the Pitt, Clemson, and Wisconsin losses highlighted all the major flaws that were being masked by the close wins.

The 2017 is kinda like this year’s team except instead of a solid defense, we have a solid offense

Advertisement
You give Tyler Van Dyke a solid defense next year. Get a victory against TAMU to start the ball rolling. Give him a Wartime Consigliere at DC who can build a truly Canes Defense like the one that worked over the Irish in the OB in ‘89?

Hard Rock will be louder than any stadium in college football.

You give Tyler Van Dyke a solid defense next year. Get a victory against TAMU to start the ball rolling. Give him a Wartime Consigliere at DC who can build a truly Canes Defense like the one that worked over the Irish in the OB in ‘89?

Hard Rock will be louder than any stadium in college football.
Start with hiring a head coach that won’t waste the young talent we have.

Tired of seeing young talent stagnate or regress in this program.

Had we won at Pitt that year we would have ended ranked #1 at the end of the regular season prior to the conference championship games…because Bama lost that weekend. Going in to the Acc champ game ranked #1, even with a 14-21 point loss to Clemson we would have gotten in to the playoff.

Still baffles me how that team lost to that 3-8 Pitt team…that Richt offense really was abysmal. Manny’s defense also made Pickett look like a Heisman candidate that day. I had no doubt we’d win that game…I actually thought we’d finally blow out a lesser ACC team after all those close wins that year to UNC, GT, Syracuse, etc. Boy was I wrong.
He had less than 200 yards passing.
Pitts entire offensive total was less than 350.
It was Pickett's runs, 2 TD's, that got us.

Advertisement
Exactly!! Which is why I have always said the stadium crap is just that. Put a good & solid product on the field and the fans will come and they will make HR an amazing home field advantage. Many of us witnessed it with our own eyes & ears.

The Bandy interception nearly blew the top off that place.

View attachment 160302
Does anyone have a picture of the ND fan covering her ears after the Bandy pick...classic....if we build it, we will come

Advertisement
This. That team was fun to watch, and came out to destroy VT and ND, but the Pitt, Clemson, and Wisconsin losses highlighted all the major flaws that were being masked by the close wins.

The 2017 is kinda like this year’s team except instead of a solid defense, we have a solid offense
I still think the way 2017 ended set us back years. We had on-field momentum like we hadn't had in a decade after starting 10-0, but the three losses to end the season saw us get shellacked on recruiting that offseason as rival staffs saw our flaws and were able to flip the likes of Surtain, Campbell, etc away from us. What was a top 5 class ended up slipping outside the top 10 in the rankings. Huge what if nobody seems to mention.

Who knows, maybe a lot of our targets we weren't going to get anyway. But I still feel like wins or even closer losses late in '17 would've had a huge domino effect in getting us back to where we need to be, rather than slipping back into 7-6/6-7 territory like we did the next two seasons.

After all those years of allegedly being irrelevant and a supposedly evaporated fan base, we showed the country that this city love it or hate it will support this team if it’s winning.
No player on either team and no person that was there that night will forget that environment

Advertisement
Back