(Re)Building the Roster (long)

The Clemson model just makes sense, and we can replicate with local talent. Good evals, balanced depth, player development and game management will get you to the ACCCG every year regardless of 5-star recruiting. Probably get you a natty every few years, too. Manny looks like he's putting in the work on addressing these needs right now. So let's start there.

That said, I'm looking forward to the day when guys like DJ Williams, Shockey, Winslow want to commit to Miami again. Chaney is that type of guy. They're the dudes that turn us from a contender into a truly dominant team that's up 30-40 points going into half time over other Top 20 teams. Can't wait to start having more Canes v Longhorns Cotton Bowls in our future.
Lingard was too. Rivers is too. Pope is too. Hall is too. Mallory and Brevin are too. Bubba Bolden is too. Nesta too. Blissett too. Huff too. Brooks too.

Advertisement
Great write up OP, appreciate the time and effort you put into that. I’d just add One thing... coaching. We need to have a staff that can develop all those players while also being able to gameplan based on individual weekly matchups.

Last edited:
Excellent post, @Katzenboyer! Very well researched and thought out. I totally agree with you on all points, though I do think that our turnaround might be a little quicker (due to our less stringent qualifying standards and area).

I think that Manny and staff are definitely on the right track. Today showed me a lot about Manolo and crew. To accept Romello Height’s commitment would mean that we are now the ones that are making business decisions. Can’t keep on being left at the altar holding our peckers while these kids troll us in the end. Evaluation and development are key.

@dsddcane made a great point a while back in another thread. He stated that the coaches have to be confident in that we are the U, we don’t beg recruits to come here.

If they don’t want to be part of our resurrection and work harder than they’ve ever worked before for one common goal, to win national championships and put on for the Orange & Green, then you can kick rocks. The U was built on blood, sweat and tears, on the backs of grown *** men. Gotta get back to that mentality.

Advertisement
Back