RB1

Advertisement
Cam is the most unfairly criticized player in Canes history.

He’s not a franchise back, but he routinely outperforms his backups.
"Most underrated in history" is a little ambitious - but he's definitely swung from overrated to underrated.

And Cam does routinely outperform his backups - but that's a sad state of affairs. It says less about Cam's talent than it does the troublesome lack of talent behind him.

Knighton's been bad. I don't see what he's done to earn more carries. Knighton should be moved from the "maybe he's just not there yet" to "maybe he just doesn't have it". Statistically - his career has started worse than any Miami RB I can remember.

Nah, tons more.. Duke, Miller, Kaaya, Calais come to mind quickly

Maybe you are just a bigger fan than most, and thats cool but all those guys were legit on bad teams and fans went harder than jag cam..
Those guys are all way better players than him, and guys I defended. But the Cam stuff is just weird because people are always calling for backups who play worse than him.

Knighton is electric for sure but he goes down as easy as Mike Harley. I pretty sure that he would have tripped himself up on the 57 yard run that Cam scored on.

He needs the ball in space more but we don't have an OC to scheme that up

He said he “routinely outplays his backups” so he’s talking about in the past tense…

So @Greentree you think Cam has ROUTINELY outplayed Don?
So far, yes I do. Don might have the ability to be much better than Cam and many other RBs that have come through here. But he hasn't put it all together yet, and (maybe for reasons beyond his control) he has not been able to get past the injury bug either. I hope Don has the career we all envisioned when he committed, but right now he is more Danyell Ferguson than Edgerrin James.

Advertisement
"Most underrated in history" is a little ambitious - but he's definitely swung from overrated to underrated.

And Cam does routinely outperform his backups - but that's a sad state of affairs. It says less about Cam's talent than it does the troublesome lack of talent behind him.

Knighton's been bad. I don't see what he's done to earn more carries. Knighton should be moved from the "maybe he's just not there yet" to "maybe he just doesn't have it". Statistically - his career has started worse than any Miami RB I can remember.
Rooster just came back. Everytime he touches the ball is exciting. His acceleration, agility, explosiveness and big play ability is much better then cams.

cam is only productive against crap defenses. He’s only looked good against fcs central conn st and a crap p5 defense in Virginia so far. He won’t do anything against a good rushing defense without any help from ol. Rooster needs to be getting screens, wheel routes and plays using his elusiveness.

Guess you don’t remember Robert Burns?

Rooster just came back. Everytime he touches the ball is exciting. His acceleration, agility, explosiveness and big play ability is much better then cams.

cam is only productive against crap defenses. He’s only looked good against fcs central conn st and a crap p5 defense in Virginia so far. He won’t do anything against a good rushing defense without any help from ol. Rooster needs to be getting screens, wheel routes and plays using his elusiveness.
We always hear about how explosive the young guys are, but the only guy who actually breaks long TDs is Cam.

I love Chaney and Rooster and believe they have the talent to be better than Cam. But it has not happened on the field, and the numbers make it clear.

Wrong game to rag on cam. Dude had some nice cuts and decent vision. Was one of his better games as a cane against real comp

Advertisement
Wrong game to rag on Cam AND Rooster. He just got back from suspension and having his first real live game reps. Dudes acting like their complaints of him are a pattern of bad play, when he hasn’t even played. He came out with pure intent and that’s a start, let him get some reps…**** 😂

I mean, I don't think anyone will say Rooster is not faster, accelerates quicker and is more explosive than Cam. It just seems odd to trash Cam to talk up Knighton. You say Cam only shows up against bad teams (some of that has to do with the OL blocking) but in this game Rooster had 15 carries for 44 yards and a fumble.

Cam had 14 carries for 111 yards and 2 tds. So with roughly the same amount of carries, Cam doubled roosters production and Cam is a beast in pass protection which is heavily needed with our OL. I agree Cam is not a bellcow, but to say he shouldn't get snaps is an overreaction.

Also it was roosters first game back, for his first game to have more carries than the starter says something. He still needs to get game ready and we broke him in heavy.

I want Knighton to make a guy in the second level miss. He's going 0 to 100 quick, but he's tackled too easy by the first defender.

This board hates the RB1, always. Deejay was criticized, by some, in favor of Harris, now Harris is being killed in favor of Chaney/Knighton and when those guys become RB1 they will be trashed for the next recruit

Advertisement

I agree - cam's MO has been to beat up on bad defenses and struggle against good ones. Not just this year - his whole career.

With Knighton, there should be a lot of red flags going up that people are conveniently disregarding.

Here's his stats vs P5 teams so far. They're really bad. I mean - like worst RB in the last 20 years level bad.

1633124744252.png

And yes he just came back - but from suspension, not injury, He should've hit the ground running. His first game back was vs UVA who had the #113 run defense coming into the game. This should've been a layup - and he goes 15-44-2.9 ypc - 0 TD - 1 Fumble. And Cam had a huge game.

I get the excitement around Knighton - but IMO you can't just ignore these numbers. Everyone keeps talking about his elusiveness & big play ability - but what he's done on the field is nowhere near his reputation (yet). He's consistently not eluding or breaking away from anyone.

From what I'm seeing, how small/skinny he is, how easy he goes down even from arm tackles, how he's really more a one cut RB and not that elusive.....I just don't know. I'm not saying he's bad, I still like his potential, but every time I see him I'm kind of lowering the bar on what I think his ceiling can be.

Last edited:
I agree - cam's MO has been to beat up on bad defenses and struggle against good ones. Not just this year - his whole career.

With Knighton, there should be a lot of red flags going up that people are conveniently disregarding.

Here's his stats vs P5 teams so far. They're really bad. I mean - like worst RB in the last 20 years level bad.

View attachment 156495

And yes he just came back - but from suspension, not injury, He should've hit the ground running. His first game back was vs UVA who had the #113 run defense coming into the game. This should've been a layup - and he goes 15-44-2.9 ypc - 0 TD - 1 Fumble. And Cam had a huge game.

I get the excitement around Knighton - but IMO you can't just ignore these numbers. Everyone keeps talking about his elusiveness & big play ability - but what he's done on the field is nowhere near his reputation (yet). He's consistently not eluding or breaking away from anyone.

From what I'm seeing, how small/skinny he is, how easy he goes down even from arm tackles, how he's really more a one cut RB and not that elusive.....I just don't know. I'm not saying he's bad, I still like his potential, but every time I see him I'm kind of lowering the bar on what I think his ceiling can be.
I love your post and football talk.

But i see you pump the bolded alot. Guess what?. Maybe that has ALOT to do with our OL being able to block bad defenses and having trouble with good defensive lines...And this is coming from me a former college football lineman.

For example i think Rooster left some yards on the field last night due to simple vision on his runs....Rooster loves contact and searches it out...even in space. But just off head there were 2 runs that i think if he makes one cut to the left or right it breaks open and he picks up 15+ yards..these runs were all under 5 yd runs.

Also i honestly dont know what back would put up HUGE rushing numbers in this run scheme....in fact can you look up Auburn backs to see what they did in Malzahn scheme or whatever the f*ck Lashlee is running. WE HAVE 1 RUNNING PLAY

Advertisement
I love your post and football talk.

But i see you pump the bolded alot. Guess what?. Maybe that has ALOT to do with our OL being able to block bad defenses and having trouble with good defensive lines...And this is coming from me a former college football lineman.

For example i think Rooster left some yards on the field last night due to simple vision on his runs....Rooster loves contact and searches it out...even in space. But just off head there were 2 runs that i think if he makes one cut to the left or right it breaks open and he picks up 15+ yards..these runs were all under 5 yd runs.

Also i honestly dont know what back would put up HUGE rushing numbers in this run scheme....in fact can you look up Auburn backs to see what they did in Malzahn scheme or whatever the f*ck Lashlee is running. WE HAVE 1 RUNNING PLAY

I 100% agree with you. What I'd say is - if you're going to blame the OL for not opening any holes against good DL's, then you also have to credit the OL for opening big holes against bad DL's, right? The whole thing is - because Cam can't create for himself, he's dependent on the OL to an extreme degree.

Now when the hole is there, Cam burns defenses with his speed. He can erase defenders angles - that's his strength. But if you look at all of Cam's long runs - they're all him going through a huge hole, then running fast on a straight line. There's no shaking or running over a defender at the LOS. There's no self creation. And if a defender is in the path of his straight line 15-20 yds down the field, he puts on the breaks and takes a 90 degree turn and heads towards the sidelines (that drives me crazy). He did it again on a run last night vs UVA. That's why I call him "Momentum Killa" Cam.

With Knighton, I respect the **** out him for seeking contact like you said. What I'm frustrated by is he isn't learning he's not going to win that contact. He gets stood up so easily - he's not going to run through anyone. I keep waiting for him to adjust, and make a move instead of seeking contact, and it's just not happening (yet...I keep hoping). But I've rewatched a lot of his tape (both college and HS), and while he has some elusiveness, it's just not on the level of what his reputation is. And I'm confused why people aren't getting frustrated with his fumbles. That's a REAL issue.

I agree Lashlee's scheme and lack of creativity is frustrating. But Cam is averaging 5.1 ypc under Lashlee, and he averaged 5.1 ypc under Enos. DeeJay was 6.0 ypc under Enos in the same scheme simply because DeeJay is better. While I don't think Lashlee's scheme does Cam any favors, he'd probably average about 5.1 ypc under any scheme because that's just what his talent level is. IMO a better RB would put up bigger numbers in this same scheme.

We have 2 potential smashers in Brown and Franklin but Asslee wants to hand it to the 190lb RB on Inzide Zone. This, after same RB just served a 4 game suspension. I have no idea, was he able to practice during suspension? Either way this is part of the problem with this staff and program. Kneighton didn't have earn playing time, it was just handed to him.

Advertisement
Back