RB recruiting at the big 3

crossover22[]_[];1769643 said:
I like how everyone lumps Powell in with yearby, cook, and Sony.

Powell is one of the elite RB's in the state of Florida, do not get it twisted.

Powell is not elite, he is very good though. Honestly I still don't feel Yearby is quite elite either but he is a notch above Powell. The one thing I am encouraged about is that Yearby looked faster this year as a senior, something that was a knock against him, along with size.

Advertisement
UF had RB-Dalvin cook 4* who flipped to FSU

FSU had RB-Joseph Yearby 4* who flipped to UM

UM had RB-Brandon Powell 3* who flipped to UF

who got the best and worst of the end results?
I would say..

1.FSU(by a lot, cause Lane and JC will follow)
2.THE U
3.UF

and would you prefer UFs or FSUs backfield over Duke/Yearby/Gus?

I wouldn't..

FSU backfield has more depth and versitlity , FSU wanted Gus as a fullback

Says who? Coley was recruiting him for them..

Jimbo wanted him to play fullback

He's not in the same breath as Yearby, Cook, or Sony. He's good but not on par those 3.

True but how many people on here claimed we would be alright with losing Cook and Sony because we have Yearby and Powell. He was very highly thought of until today.

highly thought of as a versatile playmaker, that we could put in the slot or DB... not highly thought of as an elite RB like Cook, Duke, Yearby, Sony...

Powell is not thought of as an elite RB? You got to be kidding me? Lets be honest for once there is not much of a difference minus size than him and cook. UM needed a rb like powell to read and react and use his acceleration through the line of scrimmage, something that our other rbs minus duke lack, if we had an quick fast rb the louisville game it would of helped us a ton. Speed Kills

I would say..

2.THE U
3.UF

I wouldn't..

iirc he was going to be the lonnie pryor-type fullback. can take carries when he needs to and mostly pass blocks and catches flare routes.

Advertisement

I would say..

2.THE U
3.UF

I wouldn't..

iirc he was going to be the lonnie pryor-type fullback. can take carries when he needs to and mostly pass blocks and catches flare routes.

You are correct that's the roll they wanted him to play

But think about it why would any school in florida have to go to New York to find a RB with all the talented backs in the southeast

But yet we have Duke and Yearby who every individual on this site forgets he started over Cook and got more touches. Hmm, maybe the coaches know more than the fans...

I would say..

2.THE U
3.UF

I wouldn't..

Much bigger issue is that over the last two years, we've seen talents like Collins, Michel, Cook, and Powell go elsewhere.

Yeah, we ended up with Yearby. But going 1 for 5 in landing big-time runningback recruits in your own backyard is a fail.

so we should focus on the negative?

and reasonably speaking, we actually got 2 of 5(Powell is not on those other RBs level) over the last 3 years, when you factor in the Freshman All American/ ACC rookie of the Year!

Not asking you to focus on the negative, but it's the reality of the situation. Results have been subpar, particularly this year. I don't want to turn this thread into another epic Rustlemania thread with a Yearby v. Cook debate, but in my mind, we needed a Cook/Michel in this class. Didn't get one and it will hurt us.

don't think Powell is that big of a loss, think he wouldn't get play at RB(3 small guys aint cutting it) here, Berrios is better in the slot, and he would end up at DB...

but agree, missing out on Collins, Cook and Sony is murderous

collins clearly hurts.. he really had the size and skill set to be a good back for us.

if they end up at a big 3 school or a high level sec team you respect the kids decision but Arkansas...we talkin about arkansas...that is the worst choice up there with texas tech.

I doubt that he's complaining one bit. Collins had a pretty good year, from what I read. Maybe the team was not that good, but he's gone in another two years anyway.
I doubt he has any regrets.

Collins went to Arkansas with his own mother clinging to his leg like Van Gundy on Mourning. Golden & Co couldn't have done anything more than they did to convince this kid to be a Cane. The kid's own mother couldn't convince him. I don't fault the staff for losing him, not one iota.

Michel & Cook were misses because they're elite, but it isn't like we slept on those guys. The staff fought, and is still fighting, to get them to Miami.

Powell isn't on the same level as these guys, but he looks good and it's a shame we couldn't close on him. The decommitment timing seems to imply a relationship to Golden's PSU rumors, so this is the one I'd pin on the staff (Golden in particular) the most. It's also the one that hurts the least because he's not an "elite" recruit. Let's see what Golden can come up with as a last minute replacement. He pulled in #7 athlete and 4* all purpose back Corn Elder in overtime last year, so let's see what happens.

Duke & Yearby. Duke is the best of the bunch. We landed him. Yearby seems to be of a similar mold. Golden & Coley flipped him from FSU.

We'll see who shapes out in college.

I consider Golden 2 for 5 in landing elite SoFla backs.

As far as recruiting is concerned:

Maybe the staff could've done more for Michel/Cook, so I fault them a little bit on those guys, but there are far too many factors involved when choosing a school to simply blame the staff for not landing them.

Keep in mind that times have changed. College football is big business and recruiting is a national game with big money players now. (I'm not talking about paying recruits, although that is a factor, I'm talking about assistant coaches taking private jets cross country to scout talent, **** like that.)

Don't forget that we're just talking about people. How many kids love the U but just want to get out of Miami and see somewhere else? Some of these kids haven't seen snow. They've never been out of Dade/Broward Counties. I love this U and wanted to leave Miami the second I graduated. I can understand why other kids would feel the same way given the opportunity.

All I'm saying is we need to be reasonable. Golden & Co aren't bad recruiters just because Cook or Michel decide to go elsewhere. There are a million other reasons that could've driven their decision (wanting to leave Miami, wanting to play with a friend, preferring a different type of system, wanting a better gameday experience, wanting girls that actually bang football players, the bagman, etc). They're allowed to choose to go wherever they want. Does it suck? Sure, but we'll ******* deal with it.

With the exception of the Powell and Kirkland situations off the top of my head, and overlooking Skai Moore, there are far too many factors in play to solely blame the staff for missing out on anyone else. Try and be reasonable.

Disclaimer: I think Golden is taking the program in the right direction, but I also think his loyalty to D'Onofrio might cause his downfall. I'm willing to give them some time given the circumstances.

Advertisement

Powell is not elite, he is very good though. Honestly I still don't feel Yearby is quite elite either but he is a notch above Powell. The one thing I am encouraged about is that Yearby looked faster this year as a senior, something that was a knock against him, along with size.

207.gif

Powell is not thought of as an elite RB? You got to be kidding me? Lets be honest for once there is not much of a difference minus size than him and cook. UM needed a rb like powell to read and react and use his acceleration through the line of scrimmage, something that our other rbs minus duke lack, if we had an quick fast rb the louisville game it would of helped us a ton. Speed Kills
People throw that word around so easily. No he is not elite . Fournette, Scarborough, Cook are elite

Powell is good and we could of used him but he's not in the same class as duke, Collins, yearby, cook, or Sony.

Advertisement
how often does one school get 2 stud RBs in a single recruiting cycle? is it reasonable to expect that we'd land 2 of the top 5 dudes in a single class?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back