2023 RB Mark Fletcher (commits to OSU* & De-Commits)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter where our top RB targets end up signing, Baxter is the type of talent you back up the brinks truck for. But is it worth getting into a bidding war with UF for someone who, in an ideal class, profiles as your short yardage and clock killing RB2 considering his lack of explosiveness?

I mean, it’s not my money so f*** it. And we do need to bring in multiple backs this off-season. I just hope we’re able to land an elite, total package RB like Baxter with next level traits.
They have the same evaluation on Baxter as you do. He is special.

With Fletcher, I think you are selling him a bit short. He is the type of guy who in a perfect world is #2 in your backfield in carries but #1 in snaps. There is a ton he can do running, blocking and receiving. Rare size.

Advertisement
Could always be sour grapes but Ohio State folks don't seem too upset about Fletcher exiting the class

Reactions: ben
You're citing one run (in a very tough physical game on a hot day late the 4th quarter)? And btw, he destroyed a couple angles, just couldn't manage the last one.

Did you forget all of his other long runs where nobody caught him?
Not at all....I was very close to Willis...God only knows the amount of time I spent with him.

With Fletcher, I think you are selling him a bit short. He is the type of guy who in a perfect world is #2 in your backfield in carries but #1 in snaps. There is a ton he can do running, blocking and receiving. Rare size.
I wasn’t as big on him early on as I was after watching him play in games. He’s a lot better than I thought. He‘s a monster.

You think they have a chance with Baxter? With the way Mario recruits/closes I don’t think you can say 0% chance with anyone we’re heavily involved in, but outside of Brandon Inniss, I don’t think there’s a single kid who I’d be more shocked if we flipped.

You still have at least some optimism that Baxter flips outside of the usual “don’t count out Mario” bottom line chance?

Advertisement
I’m taking Fletcher and that Jones kid. I think if we take both we‘ll be ok depth wise and we’d be able to focus on other positions especially being the Brashard could act as a pseudo 7th back.
I can’t really count on Chaney staying healthy and idk if Knighton is going to hit the portal. But I’d like to have 5-6 backs on the roster. Citizen is also coming off a major injury.

Advertisement
You think they have a chance with Baxter? With the way Mario recruits/closes I don’t think you can say 0% chance with anyone we’re heavily involved in, but outside of Brandon Inniss, I don’t think there’s a single kid who I’d be more shocked if we flipped.

You still have at least some optimism that Baxter flips outside of the usual “don’t count out Mario” bottom line chance?
I think they have a chance with everyone on their priority list. December will be wild and Mario is an elite closer. Baxter is high on the priority list.

Honestly, Anything they want to do with McGee they can do with Brashard. I would focus on bigger bodies at WR and an actual RB.
Agree. More so saying that they could get a transfer RB (not McGee), HS RB, and use McGee as that 6th RB option in case of an emergency.

Advertisement
Agree. More so saying that they could get a transfer RB (not McGee), HS RB, and use McGee as that 6th RB option in case of an emergency.
I would actually take Fletcher and Jones while using McGe and/or Brashard as a 7th option. There’s talent in our room it just hasn’t been healthy. I‘d take Jones 4-5 years plus elite athleticism over and 2nd tier transfer who might take 10 snaps a game or so.

Advertisement
I can’t really count on Chaney staying healthy and idk if Knighton is going to hit the portal. But I’d like to have 5-6 backs on the roster. Citizen is also coming off a major injury.
You can’t keep taking transfers everywhere plus I doubt Knighton leaves. If he was planning on leaving he probably would’ve packed it in like 22.

Next season we will lose Stanley. High probability we lose Thad. And seems likely 1 of Knighton/Chaney also transfers out.

Picking up 2 RBs would give us fewer RBs next year than this year. Honestly may need to take 2 freshmen + 1 transfer if we lose 3 guys.

ParrishParrish
CitizenCitizen
ChaneyChaney
KnightonTransfer RB
FranklinFreshmen RB
Stanley

I could also see Seven McGee being a WR that can fill in as a scat back that can take some carries if we get hit with bad luck again.
It would really be the same number. Stanley was only brought in because Chaney and Citizen got injured. If both are healthy at the end of August Stanley is llikely not on the team.

My thing is, if UF is the clear pick why not just flip to them like Rashada did with us? His de commitment from OSU tells us he’s likely getting going to “enjoy the recruiting process” or fetch the best NIL offer. Either way I trust Mario on this, he’ll at least make it a fight.

Dijon didn’t quickly flip to UF when he decommitted from OSU and still eventually committed so we’ll see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back