2023 RB Mark Fletcher (commits to OSU* & De-Commits)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know what examples you’re pulling from for your caveat, but the state of Miami WR recruiting is already decent to good. The missing piece is the elite level WRs, Innis, ****ey, etc. That’s what needs to be rectified, but I dont recall many other schools suddenly pulling elite tier WRs after one offseason without a play being shown. Could be wrong though.
Missouri signed a 5* from St. Louis last cycle.

It becomes a chicken-egg thing, though. To attract first-round-type wide receivers you generally need to put receivers in the first round. But to put receivers in the first round, you need first-round-type wide receivers.

Good luck, Mr. Gattis.

Advertisement
Miami hasn’t had a WR perform in the NFL since Allen Hurns, who was a UDFA.

Our last 1st rounder was Dorsett, who you could call a borderline bust.

Hank played some in the league, but achieved less than those two.

Miami is light years removed from the run of Wayne to Moss to Johnson and so on. I do not blame local WR for going to a place that churns out 1st rounders who fare well in the league.
Does KJ count? Transfer so can go either way.
Berrios just got a second contract.

We haven’t developed receivers very well anyway you look at it.

Yeah it also takes a great D which Elway had.
Of course. No QB has won a championship all by themselves.

And of course, some teams won SBs without a elite QB, like Chicago, Baltimore (Dilfer), and Tampa Bay (Johnson). Those were outliers and those three defenses were among the GOATS of their era.

Advertisement
I don’t know what examples you’re pulling from for your caveat, but the state of Miami WR recruiting is already decent to good. The missing piece is the elite level WRs, Innis, ****ey, etc. That’s what needs to be rectified, but I dont recall many other schools suddenly pulling elite tier WRs after one offseason without a play being shown. Could be wrong though.
Miami needs to rebuild its reputation as WR U. Mario getting that first elite 5* WR and having the player develop into a star is a big step. Maybe ****ey, or Williams, or Andy Jean. We’ll see.

With our recent history at TE, there were no problems getting an elite TE last cycle and in this group of commits.

I completely agree with this, but with one caveat. A lot of other schools have tried to build something up with a new staff and there is never a need of proof of concept. Having said that, our offense needs to show up this year. Gattis has the WR track record from when he was at Bama, we just need to show the system he is going to implement and call here.

The proof of concept is the investment in the program.

We didn’t take football seriously and everyone knows it. We are trying get back in the game against teams that worship football, roll out the red carpet for recruits, and illegally pay players.

If this school and town were as dedicated as the schools you want to compare us too, we wouldn’t have these problems.

The early returns have been fabulous, but it will take more time to convince everyone we mean business.

Advertisement
True but they can’t see any film of a dominant ATM program, not even in a silent black and white version

It’s the amenities , fan culture, and money. When you have all that, all you need is the coach. Miami is catching up money and accommodation wise, but we need to win to get the fans back in to give that excitement level. Winning also makes up for some of the things we lack as a big state school.

Honestly the only dudes on the roster I could see being major NFL guys are Mello and Horton. So guys like Innis, ****ey, Robby to an extent can be and could be program changers.

Horton has potential but I'm not yet seeing it for Mello yet. This is a big year for him.

Advertisement
Advertisement
It’s the amenities , fan culture, and money. When you have all that, all you need is the coach. Miami is catching up money and accommodation wise, but we need to win to get the fans back in to give that excitement level. Winning also makes up for some of the things we lack as a big state school.

If you want to go all the way back to the last time UM won a natty (2001), I'd argue that TAMU was less relevant over most of that time than Texas (big dog in the state so always has name recognition), Texas Tech (Leach football was interesting to watch), and even Baylor. TAMU flashed for a couple of years when Manziel was QB but (hard to believe that was around a decade ago!)

I am not aware of a well known fan culture around TAMU so maybe you or someone else can describe it. IMO, TAMU is currently a household name for one thing and one thing only- having oil money and buying recruits (which Saban famously and hypocritically called them out on). I don't think recruits are that impressed with Jimbo's championship at FSU , especially since it is also well known that his last couple of years were a dumpster fire. If anything, Jimbos tenure has been surprisingly mediocre, especially given the fact that TAMU is the highest revenue program in the country. 9-4, 8-5, 9-1, 8-4 might impress recruits if TAMU was a small private school taking on the big dogs of the SEC, but I don't think high schoolers are interested in TAMU because it is a scrappy giant killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back