RB Damien Martinez enters the Portal

To me, in this offense, we need a RB that can break tackles. We have an experienced QB and OL. Our WR1 will line up in the slot. We have one of the most talented TE rooms in the country. But, without Fletcher, we do not have a RB that forces defenses to bring a safety down

From his highlights, I see a RB that makes the first guy miss. A RB like Martinez forces opposing defenses to keep the box 'heavy' and leave us 1on1 on the outside, where we talented but inexperienced.

It seems like a good fit for both parties. Hopefully we can pull him in. With Chris Johnson and CHW, we have speed in our RB room. Martinez brings something we won't have @ RB being that Fletcher is injured and Citizen is coming off an injury

Advertisement
Listen, this is why it’s about to get scary.

1) Damien constantly ran against stacked boxes, as Beavs didn’t go vertical enough to scare teams into respecting their passing attack.

2) Cam Ward constantly had to do it by himself & take risks into tight windows as they had ZERO running game at WSU.

Neither of these players have ever had the yin to their yang. The pair of Ward & Martinez is lethal. All y’all downplaying him is wild. Ward about to light this ***** up, Martinez is the dude canes need to finish drives and stabilize the running attack. He’s a top 15 back in America.

Listen, this is why it’s about to get scary.

1) Damien constantly ran against stacked boxes, as Beavs didn’t go vertical enough to scare teams into respecting their passing attack.

2) Cam Ward constantly had to do it by himself & take risks into tight windows as they had ZERO running game at WSU.

Neither of these players have ever had the yin to their yang. The pair of Ward & Martinez is lethal. All y’all downplaying him is wild. Ward about to light this ***** up, Martinez is the dude canes need to finish drives and stabilize the running attack. He’s a top 15 back in America.
Ya but you’re forgetting 1 very important thing. Majority of the board enjoys being miserable

Ya but you’re forgetting 1 very important thing. Majority of the board enjoys being miserable
It's not a majority but it's definitely a vocal minority. I understand maybe thinking there are better backs but just blanket saying you're "unimpressed" seems pretty disingenuous. The tape and the numbers speak for themselves. He's a very good back and probably a future NFL back. We have a few guys on the roster now with that potential, maybe, but no one has proven anything. Martinez has.

Also serious question, when is the last time Miami had a top 15 back (most saying top 10 but for sake of argument, top 15)?

Duke Johnson would be the answer. Damien is better than Homer or DeeJay. As talented as Walton. This would be a slam dunk considering the situation with Cam only being here one year.

Advertisement
I understand maybe thinking there are better backs

Of all P5 unclassmen RBs (Fr or So.), he's either #1 or #2. I don't know what else people could ask for. I think the naysayers are hung up on the fact that he's not a SEC RB and he developed into a stud RB instead of being a 5 star out of HS. They'd rather have Lorenzo Lingard back.

Anyone *****ing about him running a 4.5 or 4.6 is hilarious. The dude is 240. We just had a 190lb safety who ran a 4.6 and he was an AA.

Top end speed is FAR more important in NFL than college. Once you get to next level and everyone is good at what they do that’s when the physical traits standout. Btw I’d bet Damien is faster than Fletch and Chaney were last season.

Advertisement
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Advertisement
I don't know. Only watched his 2023 highlights - seems fine. Reminds me of Parrish a little bit, obviously not weight wise. Don't see a game breaker or someone that dramatically improves the offense.
If Parrish gained 50lbs, didn’t get slower and could break first tackle consistently then yes I agree

I do find it funny this board will defend the Romello Height take and then be unimpressed by this take lol.
To be fair... $50k compared to $500k

RB is the cheapest and least important position in the NFL and DE is one of the most expensive and sought after positions in the NFL. I do think there's more importance to an elite RB in college than the NFL. Height is also the definition of a jag.

I still defend and agree with the Height take and acknowledge the Martinez add would be huge. I'm just still disappointed to learn he runs an 11.3 and not a 10.3 at 230 pounds. The lies I told to friends based on that information will haunt me for years.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back