RB Damien Martinez enters the Portal

Advertisement
Well have to see what happens for sure but it's a tight schedule, maybe he doesn't make them all. I'm gonna guess if he's going on other visits, the staff will be looking at other rb's also. Do we think any of those other teams could offer circumstances good enough that he'd skip giving us a visit?

Oh I think we’re fine with when he visits and it allows us a few days to see who else jumps in the portal with still being in a good position with him. I just think the number of his visits is more to do with “enjoying the process” than throwing off the stench. You only need to take 1 or 2 extra visits to do that. Plus Looks like one (Tenn) was already cancelled anyway.

Don't think Tennessee wants a RB. I think his agent put that out there without ironing out the details and schedule beforehand and getting official confirmation from the schools.

Mississippi State was one of the ones to reach out once they got wind he was going to enter but then they grabbed Amos. He's not going to end up at Mississippi State, he's not going to end up at Kentucky. Highly doubt Arizona has the money to fork out after they locked in Fifita and McMillan.

If that's the competition, it's in the bag. The only wrench that can be thrown into it is Michigan State. Big pocket boosters, a need at RB, and staff familiarity.

Kentucky is my worry. He’s in the mold of their RBs(he’s gonna run for 300 yds on Florida with us or Kentucky this season)
Maybe but that's a 6-7 win ballclub and he'd be playing with a relatively unproven QB in Brock Vandagriff that's thrown all of 18 passes in 3 years. Might be hard to raise your draft stock when teams are stacking the box every down.

Advertisement
Maybe but that's a 6-7 win ballclub and he'd be playing with a relatively unproven QB in Brock Vandagriff that's thrown all of 18 passes in 3 years. Might be hard to raise your draft stock when teams are stacking the box every down.
And their OL is very mediocre. Maybe even below average

Advertisement
FWIW, Kentucky mod believes Martinez is Miami bound
Martin Lawrence Dancing GIF by Max

Don't think Tennessee wants a RB. I think his agent put that out there without ironing out the details and schedule beforehand and getting official confirmation from the schools.

Mississippi State was one of the ones to reach out once they got wind he was going to enter but then they grabbed Amos. He's not going to end up at Mississippi State, he's not going to end up at Kentucky. Highly doubt Arizona has the money to fork out after they locked in Fifita and McMillan.

If that's the competition, it's in the bag. The only wrench that can be thrown into it is Michigan State. Big pocket boosters, a need at RB, and staff familiarity.

By any chance does his agent have only 1 eyebrow? Asking for a friend…

Advertisement
My 1st thought is I'm happy to see we got the last visit.

My 2nd thought is that a **** of a lot of traveling & similar sales pitches in 10 days. He may be exhausted by the time he gets to Miami.

But recruiting & closing is Mario's calling card.

Yes. If only we could have had conversations with him earlier...

Advertisement

Tennessee was our biggest competition here, imho. There isn't anyone else here that can compete with our NIL, or with who we've got under center.

Underrated kid from TX that avg. 6.1 ypc.

The only knock I would say most of his yards came against poor run defenses. He struggled against solid to good run defenses. Don’t recall him being much of a pass catcher out the back field either, but imo, better than what we currently have & would be an upgrade by a country mile.

People say he looked better in ‘22. Could this be partly caused by better teams loading the box since DJ doesn’t move the needle much at QB?

Advertisement
Back