Ray Lewis tells his recruiting story

Advertisement
wow. Life is strange. Who was the lb recruit that blew out his knee on an ATV and opened up the spot? But for that, Ray would not have played at UM.

robert bass was the guy that took over for Barrow in 93 and then got hurt. I believe Ray's first start was in Colorado as a true freshman. It was the fight game. the rest was history

Advertisement
robert bass was the guy that took over for Barrow in 93 and then got hurt. I believe Ray's first start was in Colorado as a true freshman. It was the fight game. the rest was history

i must have misunderstood what he said. I thought he meant that another lb recruit was injured, which opened the spot. Either way, but for the accident, he would not have become the Cane legend he is.

Didn't Lewis have something like 28 tackles against Colorado? He was all over the field making plays.

Advertisement
ray was also a phenomenal pure athlete that was a state champion as a wrestler. The story he tells of breaking his father's record of fastest pin in a match is incredible. The same father that abandoned him held the record. One of his last matches his senior year with very little matches to go to break it, he did it. 9 seconds I believe or something like that. Just pure will.

So as unheralded a football player he might have been, he was certainly a celebrated athlete in his own right.

i must have misunderstood what he said. I thought he meant that another lb recruit was injured, which opened the spot. Either way, but for the accident, he would not have become the Cane legend he is.

Oh I haven't watched the video yet. But I do know that he got his shot on the field bc the senior Bass was injured and the true freshman was pushed into action. He never gave the job back.

The video talks about a recruit getting hurt? Huh, amazing the things that transpire. But I wouldn't call his journey luck at all. He matched each opportunity with pure will and effort.

Didn't Lewis have something like 28 tackles against Colorado? He was all over the field making plays.

He was a star from the moment his cleats hit that Colorado turf. just unbelievable. I remember watching him as a fifteen year old worried about true freshman taking over for a senior that looked to be the heir apparent to Barrow. I mean Bass looked like Barrow 2.0. But there was no going back from Ray.

Oh I haven't watched the video yet. But I do know that he got his shot on the field bc the senior Bass was injured and the true freshman was pushed into action. He never gave the job back.

The video talks about a recruit getting hurt? Huh, amazing the things that transpire. But I wouldn't call his journey luck at all. He matched each opportunity with pure will and effort.

He said he was ready to go to FSU but the coaches wanted him to take 2 years to gain weight before playing, so he walked out. 4 days before NSD, he was ready to play DII football but one of Miami LB recruit blew his knee so they offered Ray a scholly, that's how he ended up at Miami.

Advertisement

Ray became my favorite Cane that day! I forgot how many number of tackles Ray had, but it was definitely over 18. All I remember is Keith Jackson's voice calling Ray's name all game long. LOL.

no doubt. whereever ray played college ball (div II or whatever), he would have obviously dominated and would have ended up in the NFL w/ a hall of fame career. it's just amazing how this strange turn of events resulted in him coming to UM at the last minute.

Advertisement
Jammi German. That dude was a straight beast in HS. BEAST!

that kid was an unbelievable high school athlete. people thought he was gonna be the next Rocket Ismail here. he was decent for a few games but never developed into near what we thought he might be. there was alot of entitlement amongst the team and recruits in 93. We bounced back in 94 but honestly that team had enough talent to go undefeated. We shouldn't have lost to Washington to end the streak and we were up on Nebraska in the Orange Bowl and let it slip away. Those two losses shouldn't have happened. The team didn't have the drive they needed to match the talent. It's weird that Ray was on that team bc he's the complete opposite but he was just freshman and sophomore for those teams.

I remember being so excited about JG, I kept waiting for him to just explode and go from there. Sadly I'm 35 now and still waiting .

Advertisement
Back