Rational take on where we are

Advertisement
anything can change with the right hires so im not out on Mario bc I know he will recruit better talent. for me, the coaching job done this year was inexcusable. we aren't competitive even against mediocre teams. Mario better thank the admin that we have Clemson and ATM at home next year otherwise that stadium wouldn't be close to filled.
You are 100% correct.

Personally I have thoroughly dissected all of his Joe Rose interviews this year. I stayed up all last night with this tedious process. My determination from his coach speak is that he is a terrible coach. We are doomed.

Advertisement
Reality is Mario is our last hope. If he cannot get it done, we might as well fold the program. So many years of blaming coaches…eventually we might just find it has all passed us by. I certainly hope not but few programs ( that matter ) have been down this long and looked so lost. Plus I just do not think Gattis will be let go. He just got here. We are gonna live or die by this staff.

none we know of publicly but that could be due to miami zeroing in on him. he did a good job at Oregon. no one can take that away from him, but that is the past now.

that second question is what has been our issue since we fired golden. we only looked at richt (which was our best coach since butch). we only looked at Manny. we only looked at Mario. the boosters pushed for Manny. this time the boosters pushed for Mario. its the same process
wash, rinse, repeat.

Advertisement
I believe Mario will uplift the program through the sheer strength
of his talent acquisition.

But the state of the team does give me pause. It’s not just the losses but THE WAY we’ve lost and played. 8 turnovers. 17 penalties. Showing up like a corpse against FSU. Getting manhandled by a terrible Middle Tenn. team. No TDS in like forever. This is really bad stuff.

I’m happy to give him more time. It’s too soon to panic. But I’m less optimistic than I was at the beginning of the season.

Mario should look to FCS for his next OC. Maybe the guy at North Dakota State!
If he wants to run his preferred Pro style or "bro style" offense, he should hire someone from the pro ranks. Hopefully he rethinks his position and hires an up tempo spread guy, or a veer and shoot guy, so we can take advantage of the type of athletes that he can recruit here.

I believe Mario will uplift the program through the sheer strength
of his talent acquisition.

But the state of the team does give me pause. It’s not just the losses but THE WAY we’ve lost and played. 8 turnovers. 17 penalties. Showing up like a corpse against FSU. Getting manhandled by a terrible Middle Tenn. team. No TDS in like forever. This is really bad stuff.

I’m happy to give him more time. It’s too soon to panic. But I’m less optimistic than I was at the beginning of the season.
not worried about talent acquisition or even the OL.

more worried about Mario having the power to pick coaches again. this was an expensive staff where money wasn't an issue. this should have been better

Now that the emotion has subsided we need to take a look at where we are and where we’re going. The truth of the matter is that Mario was at the top of the list of every major team in the country that needed a new head football coach. He also built a juggernaut in Oregon so he has been there and done that. Additionally with his contract the administration is going to give him every opportunity to succeed. Just take a look at the Seminoles and how they have improved with out the recruiting ability that Mario has.

Mario is one of the best recruiters in the country that is unquestionable I fully expect that we will have a turnover of at least 40 players this off-season. This infusion of talent should be the first step at us being a power program.

For now I will hold off bashing Mario until this time next year. Whether he makes a move on coaches, coordinators or any other staff will be secondary to bringing in talented players.
Very reasonable take OP. I too believe we haven’t seen the finished product by any stretch. 20 years of incompetence, mediocrity, and toxic culture won’t be overcome in 11 months.

Advertisement
My guess is that this season will bring a change to our offensive philosophy. Well worth it if that's the case.

not worried about talent acquisition or even the OL.

more worried about Mario having the power to pick coaches again. this was an expensive staff where money wasn't an issue. this should have been better
Yep. Judgment > money

I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt for this year to Mario. To many players with the stench of the last coaching staff on them. If what the coaches are saying about guys being entitled and not buying in is true (which I guarantee is the case) then I don't care who your coaching staff is, the results aren't going to be what you want them to be. I expect improvement next year regardless of who the staff is just by the fact that we expect some major roster turnaround. That in and of itself will start to solve a bunch of the issues we are currently seeing (IE, stupid penalties, self inflicted wounds, reacting poorly to adversity, etc)

Advertisement
This whole Mario has to get "HIS" guys thing seems like another stall tactic. What are Mario guys anyway? 3 star, 4star, 5 star recruits? Guys who are tough? If you look at the class that Mario is bringing in, these are Mario guys right? He recruited them. Anyone notice anything unique about them in high school? They are rated very high but anyone notice any intangible stuff that says, "Now that right there is a Mario player!" I don't see it. I just see more talent. I'll take it but Mario will only get so far with talent. He's got to find the coaches to get the most out of them. Other teams have talent.

Jalen Rashada will be one of the top 2 highest paid NIL players in all of college football next year. Sure Mario got him but was it recruiting or that bag? Miami and Florida offered him the most.

If he wants to run his preferred Pro style or "bro style" offense, he should hire someone from the pro ranks. Hopefully he rethinks his position and hires an up tempo spread guy, or a veer and shoot guy, so we can take advantage of the type of athletes that he can recruit here.
the pros dont even run what he prefers to run anymore.

Very few want Mario gone, but he's got a lot of work to do. OC situation and bringing in a constant influx of talent will be a start. There are many other issues that need fixing as well.

the pros dont even run what he prefers to run anymore.
You're correct. But they do use TE's, gap schemes in their running game, power running games, a lot of formations, pre snap motion, RPO's, QB under Center some, and for the most part, don't use tempo. All stuff that Mario should have loved in his days at Bama

Advertisement
Back