Rate Each Offensive Unit

bigsonnyu

Sophomore
QB: D We all see the same thing, so I wont preach to the choir. From a management standpoint, I'm sure Malik looks better in practice - but when the lights are on, kid isn't relaxed, doesn't see the field and is wildly inaccurate. Perry still has some room to grow, but throws a great deep ball, and runs well... So it's time to put in some Overtime hours with the kid, to get a better grasp on the management portion of the offense; to dethrone Rosier before Week 5-6. Grading this unit on a curve due to horrible OL play, and the OC being guilty of not doing more to put the QB in better situations with play calling; like using motion to help with pre-snap reads, etc... Young guys C+

RB: B The OL is affecting every offensive unit, but th fact is we have guys that can play - top to bottom. Spreading the field wide (which i elude to more below) will loosen up the box to help us pick up some decent yardage, because we're far from a smash-mouth team.

WR: B+This rating comes partly on the back of Jeff Thomas, who has been spectacular, largely because Coach Dugans is doing great stuff with these guys. Also, partly due to the fact that its no fault to this group that we've been inadequate in getting the ball to them. Would like to see us open the offense up by going to 4 WR sets some parts of the game, to include Richard & Hightower out wide and Thomas & Harley or Pope in the slot. If we had a competent QB, spread would be a nightmare... It may be the cure for our current offensive line woes, though Malik is no Kayaa mentally. Still, we have way too much talent at WR to with the standard sets majority of the time.

TE: -B Can't really blame these guys for anything. They're all young, and have been pushed into the fire with any glaring mistakes as of yet. We've decided to emphasized our TE's in our game-plan, but I think we're better suited to bring the TE's along slowly. Run-blocking is critical for each of their game, and they should improve in time. Future looks bright.

OL: -D The performance of our OL has been a flat out F, but Coach Searles is a big part of the blame... This unit has been better at Pass-blocking than Run-blocking in recent history; but now, even that is starting to suck. I am not impressed with anything this guy is coaching, granted this clip isn't the whole practice. Still, he's trying to talk them through a bunch of pop-waner stuff, like punching a bag, but isn't giving them much on being physical/technically sound at the point of attack. ...Guys are walking around, because he's doing walk through's with every drill. Heck, if big husky guys aren't sweating through their jerseys then they ain't doing crap. Well just take a look.

Its sad because the OL affects every unit, and plays a huge role in us moving he ball every play. We've had a number of talented guys cycle through this position group. It seem the big ugly's lose their aggression over time with Searles... I'm sure he's a good guy, but we need someone more dynamic at this spot. Coaching has to be the issue here.

Last edited:
Advertisement
what about this video makes you think he's a bad coach??? the fact he is teaching technique and not mauling?

Do you know see the trash he inherited? this board was losing their minds over the pics our OL took under golden meanwhile
some of those guys are on the team still.

what about this video makes you think he's a bad coach??? the fact he is teaching technique and not mauling?

Do you know see the trash he inherited? this board was losing their minds over the pics our OL took under golden meanwhile

It's just that they seem to be getting worse which, right or wrong, makes people look at the coaches.

Advertisement
Rate each unit after 2 games? Seriously....and one game was against a team the waterboys could beat.

Take a look at the below vid... You see alot of practical drills going on. Scenarios so guys know how and (more importantly) who to block, in different scenarios based on formation... I see the guys being taught the leverage they need to maintain, based on where the play is going. How to combo block a single lineman to get them off the ball quicker, before crawling up to the Backer, you see the Zone blocking being taught, etc... Just to name a few.

Last edited:
Rate each unit after 2 games? Seriously....and one game was against a team the waterboys could beat.

Rating is based on what we know about this team, our expectations, and having seeing them on the field thus far.

@Mklein13 Ask ya this: You saw our OL against LSU and Savannah State, do you think they deserve an A?? Or if you had to grade them thus far, would you say TBD?

Note: Every opinion on this entire board is some form of a rating.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Rating is based on what we know about this team, our expectations, and having seeing them on the field thus far.

@Mklein13 Ask ya this: You saw our OL against LSU and Savannah State, do you think they deserve an A?? Or if you had to grade them thus far, would you say TBD?

Note: Every opinion on this entire board is some form of a rating.
I just think there’s a lot of TBD’s aside from the OL, QB, and special teams up to this point. I’d give the o line a D, qb a D, and special teams a C. The punting obviously sucks, Bubba has been alright so far but I don’t trust him yet with field goals, and the return game has been solid. Yes I know it was against Savannah State.

QB: D We all see the same thing, so I wont preach to the choir. From a management standpoint, I'm sure Malik looks better in practice - but when the lights are on, kid isn't relaxed, doesn't see the field and is wildly inaccurate. Perry still has some room to grow, but throws a great deep ball, and runs well... So it's time to put in some Overtime hours with the kid, to get a better grasp on the management portion of the offense; to dethrone Rosier before Week 5-6. Grading this unit on a curve due to horrible OL play, and the OC being guilty of not doing more to put the QB in better situations with play calling; like using motion to help with pre-snap reads, etc... Young guys C+

RB: B The OL is affecting every offensive unit, but th fact is we have guys that can play - top to bottom. Spreading the field wide (which i elude to more below) will loosen up the box to help us pick up some decent yardage, because we're far from a smash-mouth team.

WR: B+This rating comes partly on the back of Jeff Thomas, who has been spectacular, largely because Coach Dugans is doing great stuff with these guys. Also, partly due to the fact that its no fault to this group that we've been inadequate in getting the ball to them. Would like to see us open the offense up by going to 4 WR sets some parts of the game, to include Richard & Hightower out wide and Thomas & Harley or Pope in the slot. If we had a competent QB, spread would be a nightmare... It may be the cure for our current offensive line woes, though Malik is no Kayaa mentally. Still, we have way too much talent at WR to with the standard sets majority of the time.

TE: -B Can't really blame these guys for anything. They're all young, and have been pushed into the fire with any glaring mistakes as of yet. We've decided to emphasized our TE's in our game-plan, but I think we're better suited to bring the TE's along slowly. Run-blocking is critical for each of their game, and they should improve in time. Future looks bright.

OL: -D The performance of our OL has been a flat out F, but Coach Searles is a big part of the blame... This unit has been better at Pass-blocking than Run-blocking in recent history; but now, even that is starting to suck. I am not impressed with anything this guy is coaching, granted this clip isn't the whole practice. Still, he's trying to talk them through a bunch of pop-waner stuff, like punching a bag, but isn't giving them much on being physical/technically sound at the point of attack. ...Guys are walking around, because he's doing walk through's with every drill. Heck, if big husky guys aren't sweating through their jerseys then they ain't doing crap. Well just take a look.

Its sad because the OL affects every unit, and plays a huge role in us moving he ball every play. We've had a number of talented guys cycle through this position group. It seem the big ugly's lose their aggression over time with Searles... I'm sure he's a good guy, but we need someone more dynamic at this spot. Coaching has to be the issue here.

Corch Stacy Seriously got my award last week vs LSU as Corch of the game.

He's a fraud. So is our QB corch.

Homer saw them slacking on one play and had to take matters into his own hands and sack the QB. That's where the D- comes in.

Seems like the RB grade should be slightly higher the.

Good lord, I was trying to forget that a div II defender ran right through our OL and pushed a RB into the QB. That’s fcking shameful.

Advertisement
WR: 8===============D
RB: 8===========D
TE: 8======D
QB: 8=D
OL:. (I)

WR with ahmmon is an A

we had ZERO drops vs lsu besides a high pass to jeff thomas that was sort of catchable

Seems like the RB grade should be slightly higher the.

Good lord, I was trying to forget that a div II defender ran right through our OL and pushed a RB into the QB. That’s fcking shameful.

Homer didn't get pushed, he just straight up ran into him.

Advertisement
There's an old saying about how a good QB can make a bad OL look good, while a bad QB can make a good OL look bad. I want to see what the line can do when teams can't make Rosier beat them. I'm telling you now, if we get good QB play, and teams fear being beaten all over the field, our running game will open up.

There's an old saying about how a good QB can make a bad OL look good, while a bad QB can make a good OL look bad. I want to see what the line can do when teams can't make Rosier beat them. I'm telling you now, if we get good QB play, and teams fear being beaten all over the field, our running game will open up.

It's not that they aren't helping the QB, it's that they aren't helping the RBs. If we had a legit run threat that would help the QB.

Advertisement
Back