Raphael Kirby

UMcanesfan420

Senior
Said in The Herald blog that the cast was removed last week and he could be back for GT on the 22nd. Kid must heal like Wolverine.

Advertisement
I'm thinking it might be OK to redshirt him, but I'm a bit torn by the thought. Will he suddenly make them be able to cover the middle better?

I think that's more the scheme than the player. He might bring more pressure on the QB, but that will require blitzing, which again goes back to the scheme. At least there's a few games for the staff to decide.

Play him as soon as he's ready. Unless it's the last game or whatever, just play him. We need him next year very badly. Get the game experience. There's only so much you can learn and improve on the practice field and in scrimmages.

Does anyone know his position at this point? Gaines is the backup MLB and minus one play held up OK.

Believe he's on the outside which is why they moved Gaines back to MLB, could be worng though. I was all for redshirting him, but if he's ready get him on the field.

Advertisement
Get that kid on the field as soon as possible. Tyrone Cornelius should not be on the field for anything other than special teams.

The question is what was his injury. If it was a severe sprain OK but if he has a tear will it make him more susceptible to future more serious injury? Also being in a cast will atrophy muscle so he will need time to build it back up.

Advertisement
Play him as soon as he's ready. Unless it's the last game or whatever, just play him. We need him next year very badly. Get the game experience. There's only so much you can learn and improve on the practice field and in scrimmages.

Completely agree

My guess is that Gaines is only in the middle after playing on the weakside all spring, because Paul and Kirby are both out. When they get back, I'd guess Gaines will get reps at both spots. Gaines may not be an AA, but I have to think he'd be a better option than giving Cornelius and Armbrister minutes. How did Armbrister play on Saturday?

The question is what was his injury. If it was a severe sprain OK but if he has a tear will it make him more susceptible to future more serious injury? Also being in a cast will atrophy muscle so he will need time to build it back up.

This. Play him if he isn't at any kind of increased risk of injury. If he might be injured again due to insufficient healing time, then redshirt him.

Advertisement
My guess is that Gaines is only in the middle after playing on the weakside all spring, because Paul and Kirby are both out. When they get back, I'd guess Gaines will get reps at both spots. Gaines may not be an AA, but I have to think he'd be a better option than giving Cornelius and Armbrister minutes. How did Armbrister play on Saturday?

Armbrister was awful. I give him credit for trying to get to the ball but he was absolutely terrible in play action. He's just inexperienced, the guy has hardly played the position. I hope Johnson can be better but truth is that he whiffed badly on a couple play action passes as well. Both are active and want to be physical though.

Advertisement

Armbrister was awful. I give him credit for trying to get to the ball but he was absolutely terrible in play action. He's just inexperienced, the guy has hardly played the position. I hope Johnson can be better but truth is that he whiffed badly on a couple play action passes as well. Both are active and want to be physical though.

With most young LBs, being out of position is pretty standard IMO unfortunately. I think both will improved a lot as they get more reps and the season progresses. Johnson was really physical at the point of attack as you said which was good to see.

I think if Kirby was healthy there is a very good chance that he would have been a starter and had a Perryman type impact (his Fr year) toward the end of the year. I'm extremely high on Kirby and would have loved to see him alongside Perryman.

Advertisement
Back