Ranking the Understated 2023 Signees

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
My rankings are based on what I observe as perceived attention/mentions vs talent.

1. Robert Stafford - Easy to lose sight of this kid's talent when we're chasing the #1 CB in the nation (who's eating max attention). Nonetheless, love Stafford's skill set and feet. He rarely gets mentioned, so I think the mentions:talent ratio is highest for him. Because of bulk issues, he may not play absolutely immediately, but we'll check back on this one in a couple years.

2. Riley Williams - I debated dropping him a couple spots down the list, but kept noticing how little he gets mentioned. The dude is a seam buster from Day 1. He has size, straight line speed, and yet is a relative after thought in the class because of so many other needs and highly ranked players. I hope Arroyo returns and Skinner adds the necessary mass, but I suspect Riley immediately sees the field regardless. Part of this is that I expect/hope/pray we move to a different style of offense than we just endured, so his diverse skill set fits in multiple scenarios.

3. Bobby Washington - Overshadowed by his explosive brother and strangely low ranking. A few meme level highlight clips from his senior season raised his profile, but I don't think enough. If you had the chance to watch his dad run, you see a similar stride with this kid. He closes with ease, and outside of discipline issues some have mentioned (which I don't personally know about, but recognize others have referenced), the biggest factor holding him back will likely be how he processes what he sees at a faster college level. Haven't seen enough of him to judge that aspect, but the upside is huge here - regardless of ranking. Surprisingly, the floor (for us) is pretty high, too. He should immediately contribute on PR and KO.

4. Francisco Mauigoa - Overshadowed by his highly ranked brother and a tremendous LB class. I've already read some mention him as just a "solid" or "ok" depth addition. I disagree. I think he's immediately in the rotation and provides an incredible complement to Bissainthe. I hope Chase Smith sticks around and learns/grows right behind him, as now we have more than a few modern LBs who can cover. We might actually finally shrink the previously enormous curl/flat and slant zone gaps.

5. Tommy Kinsler - Again, easy to get overlooked when a couple of your classmates are Top 3 in the nation at their position. I haven't seen him listed as an EE, so this may take some time to come to fruition. I view him a lot like I viewed Anez Cooper last year: an absolute mammoth OL with plus feet. The questions will be around worth ethic, motor, and if he can refine his body composition as he gets developed by Mario/Mirabal. Really great upside here.

Honorable mention:

A. Frankie Tinilau
- I actually got to watch a bit of Frankie this season and he can move far better than I had previously thought. So, this is mostly based on size/movement attributes vs being the "worst rated" OL in his very strong class.

B. Davonte Brown - The kid may very well be a starter next season, and yet for a number of reasons - Cormani, his brother choosing us over Bama, etc. - rarely gets mentioned.

Advertisement
I think Kinsler has the highest potential of anyone in the class. He’s a mountain & moves like a ballerina. I really really like this kid alot.

@LuCane What are your thoughts on Tinilau? I might be mistaken since I don't follow recruiting too much, but my understanding is he has a limited football background/experience and then played at a very small high school. Will he be able to transition to this level? Is he a total project?

Advertisement
@LuCane What are your thoughts on Tinilau? I might be mistaken since I don't follow recruiting too much, but my understanding is he has a limited football background/experience and then played at a very small high school. Will he be able to transition to this level? Is he a total project?
Oh, man. I'd leave the detailed analysis to the OL guys. When I look at OL, I look at how they move in short areas relative to their size. For anyone who's ever put on a helmet at any level, that size/feet dynamic is easily noticeable on the field. Those guys get to you quicker than expected. So, when I watched Frankie, I just saw a guy who fits that mold and leave the rest up to development. Again, part of mentioning him is that he just simply goes overlooked. In a pre-Mario class, Tinsler is talked about as a possible starter next year and we hope Frankie contributes. In this class, they're rarely mentioned.

My rankings are based on what I observe as perceived attention/mentions vs talent.

1. Robert Stafford - Easy to lose sight of this kid's talent when we're chasing the #1 CB in the nation (who's eating max attention). Nonetheless, love Stafford's skill set and feet. He rarely gets mentioned, so I think the mentions:talent ratio is highest for him. Because of bulk issues, he may not play absolutely immediately, but we'll check back on this one in a couple years.

2. Riley Williams - I debated dropping him a couple spots down the list, but kept noticing how little he gets mentioned. The dude is a seam buster from Day 1. He has size, straight line speed, and yet is a relative after thought in the class because of so many other needs and highly ranked players. I hope Arroyo returns and Skinner adds the necessary mass, but I suspect Riley immediately sees the field regardless. Part of this is that I expect/hope/pray we move to a different style of offense than we just endured, so his diverse skill set fits in multiple scenarios.

3. Bobby Washington - Overshadowed by his explosive brother and strangely low ranking. A few meme level highlight clips from his senior season raised his profile, but I don't think enough. If you had the chance to watch his dad run, you see a similar stride with this kid. He closes with ease, and outside of discipline issues some have mentioned (which I don't personally know about, but recognize others have referenced), the biggest factor holding him back will likely be how he processes what he sees at a faster college level. Haven't seen enough of him to judge that aspect, but the upside is huge here - regardless of ranking. Surprisingly, the floor (for us) is pretty high, too. He should immediately contribute on PR and KO.

4. Francisco Mauigoa - Overshadowed by his highly ranked brother and a tremendous LB class. I've already read some mention him as just a "solid" or "ok" depth addition. I disagree. I think he's immediately in the rotation and provides an incredible complement to Bissainthe. I hope Chase Smith sticks around and learns/grows right behind him, as now we have more than a few modern LBs who can cover. We might actually finally shrink the previously enormous curl/flat and slant zone gaps.

5. Tommy Kinsler - Again, easy to get overlooked when a couple of your classmates are Top 3 in the nation at their position. I haven't seen him listed as an EE, so this may take some time to come to fruition. I view him a lot like I viewed Anez Cooper last year: an absolute mammoth OL with plus feet. The questions will be around worth ethic, motor, and if he can refine his body composition as he gets developed by Mario/Mirabal. Really great upside here.

Honorable mention:

A. Frankie Tinilau
- I actually got to watch a bit of Frankie this season and he can move far better than I had previously thought. So, this is mostly based on size/movement attributes vs being the "worst rated" OL in his very strong class.

B. Davonte Brown - The kid may very well be a starter next season, and yet for a number of reasons - Cormani, his brother choosing us over Bama, etc. - rarely gets mentioned.

We think alike. Highlighted these dudes on the podcast. I would add Kaleb Spencer to the list.

We think alike. Highlighted these dudes on the podcast. I would add Kaleb Spencer to the list.
when does the Pod come out? Or was this a past one?

I guess by definition Kaleb is overlooked by me, as I didn’t even remember him. I wouldn’t be able to put him on my list because I’ve watched so little of his highlights. Interested to see more.

Advertisement
Robby Washington is still underrated also, never got verified times but he seems to play fast, have good size (not twig), has film, elusive make miss in phone booth ability and should make immediate impact in true spread scheme if we ever smarten up.. If we stick with bro style then honestly it doesnt matter, lol.

when does the Pod come out? Or was this a past one?

I guess by definition Kaleb is overlooked by me, as I didn’t even remember him. I wouldn’t be able to put him on my list because I’ve watched so little of his highlights. Interested to see more.

Advertisement
****. I totally missed it, as I usually do with morning posts. Was trying to keep the content flowing. Would have saved myself half an hour. I’ll check it out on the ride home today.

****. I totally missed it, as I usually do with morning posts. Was trying to keep the content flowing. Would have saved myself half an hour. I’ll check it out on the ride home today.
Did you miss it, or did you just not want to see the other bloke on the sofa ever again? I know my answer.

Advertisement
Kinsler's film was the most impressive that I have seen...that young man moves his feet well and is so powerful !!! He was throwing kids out the club with such ease lol

No clue on development, bur here's his bio:

"Born in Australia. Grew up playing rugby. First found football at the age of 14 where he eventually suited up for the U-19 Queensland Sundevils (an all-star team that competes for Australia’s national championships in American football).
----
2022: Named the Europe’s Elite U-19 Male Athlete of the Year in Winter 2021. Transferred into Miami La Salle for his senior season where he started at LT.
2021: Played for the Brisbane Rhinos back in Australia.
2019/2020: Moved to United States prior to global pandemic and spent tome at both St. Bernard and Calabasas in California."

No clue on development, bur here's his bio:

"Born in Australia. Grew up playing rugby. First found football at the age of 14 where he eventually suited up for the U-19 Queensland Sundevils (an all-star team that competes for Australia’s national championships in American football).
----
2022: Named the Europe’s Elite U-19 Male Athlete of the Year in Winter 2021. Transferred into Miami La Salle for his senior season where he started at LT.
2021: Played for the Brisbane Rhinos back in Australia.
2019/2020: Moved to United States prior to global pandemic and spent tome at both St. Bernard and Calabasas in California."
How was he named Europe's Elite U-19 whatever when he's Australian...and was apparently living in the US?

Advertisement
Back