Ranked 17th in AP, 20th in coaches poll

Miami beats UF on the road, UF is ranked higher...smart USA Today.

I think we are ranked appropriately at this point, but they are fluffing the **** out of UF with their ranking. The Turds look pretty ****ty at this point. Not much like a top 25 team. But fluffing UF is what the national media does....

They are missing their best players

Frazier is their best player, and Carter is probably their 2nd best player. The only top player they didn't have against us was Finney-Smith. I know Murphy is still sitting out, and while he should be a solid starter for them, he didn't look like he was going to be remarkable at Duke. I know they were without Carter and Finney-Smith in their struggle against ULM, but a top 25 team should still blow out a sub-.500 Sun Belt program at home even with two starters out. Frankly, until our run at the end of the game we looked disjointed and played a rather bad game against UF. I just think writers over-estimated what UF will do this year, and similarly under-estimated how UM would play. I think that is based more on both programs history than on a thoughtful evaluation of the incoming talent. I don't think UF will be bad this year. But I don't think they will be especially good either even when they have all their players on the court.

Miami beats UF on the road, UF is ranked higher...smart USA Today.

I think we are ranked appropriately at this point, but they are fluffing the **** out of UF with their ranking. The Turds look pretty ****ty at this point. Not much like a top 25 team. But fluffing UF is what the national media does....

They are missing their best players

First, injuries happen tough chit. We don't have Reed (starter) or Cruz Uceda (starter likely).

Second, the game was in UF. They had the advantage and we beat them. We ended a pretty significant streak as well. There is no justification for ranking UF ahead of us other then the voters had no idea that UF lost to us. In that case they should have no say in the matter.

Finally, those same writters (and likely you) missed how they performed against ULM.

Who said injuries don't happen? Obviously you have to play them that's the whole point. You saying that is not addressing anything. And you're ignorant to make an assumption to say I missed their performance. I saw it.

And if you watched that performance you would know they were without Murphy, Carter, Finney-smith and it was Walker's first game back. A walk on is playing 30+ minutes a game. Their losses impact their team greater than ours as well.

I am addressing the fact that he said UF's rankings were fluffed. NOT their current ranking vs. our current ranking. No team drops out of the top 25 with one loss. Chill. Obviously we should be ahead of them. And it's also apparent they aren't playing well right now. I'm not even talking about our game against them. No need to get defensive. They were ranked 8 in the preseason based on what their team would be at full strength.

I really don't think that should have been close to the #8 ranked team in the country to start the year. Unless Murphy takes a big step up from what I saw of him at Duke. Just WAY too many question marks for them including depth. They have some nice players, but that doesn't look like top ten talent to me. I don't think with all hands on deck they have more talent than UM, and I don't feel UM is going to be a top ten team this year either.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Who said injuries don't happen? Obviously you have to play them that's the whole point. You saying that is not addressing anything. And you're ignorant to make an assumption to say I missed their performance. I saw it.

And if you watched that performance you would know they were without Murphy, Carter, Finney-smith and it was Walker's first game back. A walk on is playing 30+ minutes a game. Their losses impact their team greater than ours as well.

I am addressing the fact that he said UF's rankings were fluffed. NOT their current ranking vs. our current ranking. No team drops out of the top 25 with one loss. Chill. Obviously we should be ahead of them. And it's also apparent they aren't playing well right now. I'm not even talking about our game against them. No need to get defensive. They were ranked 8 in the preseason based on what their team would be at full strength.

Your quote was "they are missing their best players." This means nothing. Everyone misses players over the course of the season (hence injuries are part of the game). I am saying your quote was irrelevant. Rankings are based on who you are now (once in the season) and not based on who your potential.

It doesn't matter that their players were better or more important to their team. They lost. End of story. They lost at home as well. How can you know the impact of our players when Cruz Uceda has hardly played (potential starter)? Also, Reed was a starter too. We could probably use him too.

Here is the point, UF should NOT be ranked higher than Miami. That is all It doesn't matter about fluff or potential. It is early and the ranking should be fluid. UF lost to Miami and then had a rough game against ULM (same week = same ranking). I am calm. Thanks for calling me ignorant, I will cry tonight.

Last edited:
Well UM was underrated this year coming in. One reason for that was because no thought that our three freshmen would be able to provide this amount of execution this early.

Donovan has constantly taken great individual talent and turned it into good teams that reach the elite 8 the past 3-4 years. The freshman Robinson is also not playing as well as UF people hoped. One UF guy was telling me he was a sure fire first round pick whenever he decides to leave. Obviously doesn't appear that way.

Your quote was "they are missing their best players." This means nothing. Everyone misses players over the course of the season (hence injuries are part of the game). I am saying your quote was irrelevant. Rankings are based on who you are now (once in the season) and not based on who your potential.

It doesn't matter that their players were better or more important to their team. They lost. End of story. They lost at home as well. How can you know the impact of our players when Cruz Uceda has hardly played (potential starter)? Also, Reed was a starter too. We could probably use him too.

Here is the point, UF should NOT be ranked higher than Miami. That is all It doesn't matter about fluff or potential. It is early and the ranking should be fluid. UF lost to Miami and then had a rough game against ULM (same week = same ranking). I am calm. Thanks for calling me ignorant, I will cry tonight.

Calm down. Stop getting so riled up over comments. I didn't call you ignorant, I called got claim ignorant as you used it to group me into a classification of writers I didn't fit and to hurt the credibility of my original post. I already said in my post that we should be ranked ahead of them since we beat them at home. That's obvious. And they lost three guys who will start this year. We lost Davon Reed, who was a starter last year, but wouldn't start this year and most likely won't start next year. Ivan could definitely take Thomas spot and would've been the starter if eligible imo. Anyways it doesn't matter. I said clearly that we should be ranked above UF and that UF isn't playing well.

And it's a message board. The point can be anything. My original comment didn't provide context which was the main problem, but if Canipsi and I want to talk about fluff, potential & if the preseason ranking was justified we can talk about it. Anything can be the point

Last edited by a moderator:
Well UM was underrated this year coming in. One reason for that was because no thought that our three freshmen would be able to provide this amount of execution this early.

Donovan has constantly taken great individual talent and turned it into good teams that reach the elite 8 the past 3-4 years. The freshman Robinson is also not playing as well as UF people hoped. One UF guy was telling me he was a sure fire first round pick whenever he decides to leave. Obviously doesn't appear that way.

I agree with you that Donovan is a great coach, and I'm sure that factored into their pre-season ranking. Also agree that the start to the season for UM has gone better than any rational, evaluative individual would have thought it would go. Not just with how well the Freshmen have played, but how all the players have come together with decent chemistry. I wasn't mad when we were down 15 to UF, because the play thorough the first 3/4s of that game is what I expected. And even the last 1/4 was mostly Angel putting the team on his back.

Advertisement

I agree with you that Donovan is a great coach, and I'm sure that factored into their pre-season ranking. Also agree that the start to the season for UM has gone better than any rational, evaluative individual would have thought it would go. Not just with how well the Freshmen have played, but how all the players have come together with decent chemistry. I wasn't mad when we were down 15 to UF, because the play thorough the first 3/4s of that game is what I expected. And even the last 1/4 was mostly Angel putting the team on his back.

Yeup that's something I left out but talked about in my article. These guys are playing really well together with 9(?) players that did not play last year. Throughout the game I believed we could beat UF if everything started to click. It didn't click how I thought but Angel taking over allowed for us to get the win.

Yeup that's something I left out but talked about in my article. These guys are playing really well together with 9(?) players that did not play last year. Throughout the game I believed we could beat UF if everything started to click. It didn't click how I thought but Angel taking over allowed for us to get the win.

Larranga has amazed me with what he's done in his time at UM. We UM) had no B-ball program when I was young, and my family moved to North Carolina. You can't live in that state and not follow college basketball, so I latched on to Duke, and it stuck. Still loved UM (more), but loved Duke too. And that was right before the Johnny Dawkins class, so Duke wasn't very good. Anyway, I've followed Duke basketball through the last 25 years, and Coach K is great. But I truly feel that in the gym, and on game day Coach L is a better basketball coach. He knows them game, he knows how to teach the game, and he knows how to get the most out of his players.

UF's gonna get that early season benefit because come march Billy Donovan's going to somehow have them in the sweet sixteen... every year. They might flutter in and out of the top 25... but that softazz SEC schedule is going to get them a 4/5/6 seed at worse.

Just knowing Donovan can smash the SEC combined with the usual patsy non conference games, and the pollster's know theyre good for 25 wins.

Kyle,

I'm calm. Thanks for caring.

My point which is the post you responded to is the point. UF should not be ahead of Miami.

Advertisement
If we get by Illinois we should be 13-0 playing Virginia. Best part about this team everyone should be back again next year.

The basketball program under coach L is the antithesis of the football and baseball programs. Last night on an off night, on the road, Against a quality team they had to play for a second time in two days, they just fought through and found ways to win the game. There were several instances yesterday during the game where the baseball and football teams would've quit and fallen apart and gotten blown out. These guys are a breath of fresh air....

Advertisement
If we get by Illinois we should be 13-0 playing Virginia. Best part about this team everyone should be back again next year.

Don't sleep on Providence. They're good this year, and we play them in Brooklyn, which is a neutral site. They absolutely CRUSHED FSU, 80-54 and beat Notre Dame as well.

Advertisement
Back