Rank our hires since Butch

I’ll say Coker was on a team that won a title and should have had another. But it wasn’t his coaching and no one can tell me otherwise. You could have run practice and put those players on the field and they would have won probably without a head coach.

Advertisement
Coker- argue all you want but Butch didn’t win a Natty with the same team. Yes he got robbed the year before but still. Coker could’ve let the power trip get to his head and changed everything up but he didn’t. Good surgeons know how to cut, great surgeons know when not to cut. And he was a historically bad call away from going back to back. And if we’re really talking about the quality of the hire itself, Miami had the common sense to listen to the players and hire the guy that was needed to get the job done. A guy that sat back and let it all play out.

Richt- best all around coach out of all of them but couldn’t do it in his prime at UGA and was burnt out at Miami despite saying he had a renewed energy because he was going to call plays.

Shannon/Manny/ Golden all tied for different reasons- same mediocrity.

Richt
Coker/Golden
Manny
Shannon

Ppl are forgetting what a **** show the Shannon era was. Randy played Glenn Cook and Romeo Davis over a bunch of others. He had Willie the Predator Williams and Arthur Brown on his roster at one time and lost both of them. Don't forget Sam Shields.

Shannon by a mile.

Coker
Game Day Coaching*: 7.0
Recruiting: 4.5
Intangibles: 6.0
Failed to recruit quarterbacks and wide receivers at a replacement level

Shannon:
Game Day Coaching*: 5.5
Recruiting: 6.5
Intangibles: 5.0
Arguably left program in better shape than he found it. Had lowest level of support from UM admin of any coach in the last 20 years

Golden:
Game Day Coaching*: 4.0
Recruiting: 7.0
A good recruiter who never got off to the start he could have do to the NCAA scandal

Richt
Game Day Coaching*: 7.5
Recruiting: 7.5
Intangibles: 7.0
Laid major foundations for the program

Diaz
Game Day Coaching*: 6.0
Recruiting: 8.0

*includes overall staff

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
1a Coker

1b Richt

3. Golden

4. Diaz

5. Shannon

The abhorrent, incompetent hire that, IMO, set us back more than any other.

This was the tipping point, the program was still close enough to past successes that the disasters of the following decade and a half could have been averted.

Advertisement
In my opinion, they all suck. Here are my opinions of all of them since Butch Davis.

Coker;

I was against this hire from the beginning. As many have already said, he received the keys to the Ferrari and wrecked it. He won the 2001 National Championship with Davis's recruits. While I believe we were screwed at the end of the 2003 Fiesta Bowl, we should have never been in the position to begin with. A better coached Miami team would not have even been in am overtime situation. Every year he coached, he regressed when Davis's recruits started drying up. He could not replenish recruits fast enough which lead to his demise. I also fault him for not going to a Spread/Air Raid offense (Especially when Brock Berlin was QB).

Shannon;

I liked this hire at the beginning. Great recruiter but not a good coach. To me, he seemed too rigid and did not mesh well with our culture (Which is odd being a former player and DC). The 26-3 loss at Florida in 2008, where we obviously did not score an offensive touchdown infuriated me. Florida talked so much **** before this game and made us look like little ******* as we only scored on a field goal. The 2010 loss against USF also infuriated me. No matter how bad we are, we should never lose to USF. I also fault him for not going to a Spread/Air Raid offense (Especially when Jacory Harris was QB).

Golden;

I was against this hire from the beginning. He was a great recruiter but a terrible coach. The whole dress shirt and tie was so ungodly stupid. Who wears a tie to coach a game in South Florida? His defense sucked to the point where it was painful to watch. Him not firing his buddy, Dorito was a mortal sin. The loss to FSU in 2014 where we were up by multiple scores infuriated me. I remember one of the announcers saying in the first quarter, Hard Rock Stadium was rocking like the old horseshoe in Little Havana (The Orange Bowl). Golden took his foot off the gas during the second half and as always, his defense sucked and let FSU come back and win. He did nearly the same thing against Nebraska in 2015, where we were up by multiple scores infuriated me. Thankfully we were able to win in OT though. The 58-0 loss to Clemson was downright embarrassing but not my personal low point. I also fault him for not going to a Spread/Air Raid offense (I think Brad Kaaya would have been much better in the spread as I'm more mobile than he was).

Richt;

I was against this hire from the beginning although it looked good on paper. I respect him for resigning and not causing any drama. I also respect him for donating a portion of his own money for the IPF. He was worn out from being in the SEC for so many years and had health problems. If you look at his history, he never could win the majority of big games while he was at Georgia. He was an acceptable but not great recruiter. His stupid antiquated plodding pro-style offense SUCKED! What ****ed me off more than anything about Richt was in 2018. His offense sucked, he knew his offense sucked and he did nothing about it. He didn't even make an attempt to hire Kendal Briles (Although I'm unsure if he would have worked) before he went to FSU. I will never forget he stated something to the effect of his plays have been working for 20 years or some bull****. Nepotism with his son ruined him. I think I've already covered his offensive philosophy in this paragraph.

Diaz;

I went ballistic when I heard about the hire on ESPN a few hours after Richt resigned. I was so upset I nearly shredded all my Miami great (Which is a lot of gear). We received a gift when Richt resigned/retired and should have done a thorough coaching search. Instead we got stuck with another Temple coach. The only thing I give him credit for is he brought Lashlee and the Spread to us. He sucks as a recruiter, sucks as a DC and seems like a wimp to me. If he ever wanted to be HC in Miami, he should have paid his dues by working his way from Temple to another college before finally coming to Miami. His hire of Enos totally sucked even though it looked good on paper. As soon as I learned Penos was a pro-style coordinator, I knew he would be crap. Starting Jarren Williams (Who seemed dumb as a box of rocks) infuriated me. I would have rather seen Perry or even given Martell a shot (We had nothing to lose). By far the worst sin he committed was losing to FIU. Words cannot describe how angry this loss made me. Against a low tier team, against a former coach (Davis) and at the former site of the Orange Bowl, we **** the bed. I would have fired his beta *** after this game and made him catch a cab. I will excuse the Bama loss earlier in the season but we should have put up more points. The FSU loss was inexcusable as his defense and ****** clock management let us down. He should have been fired after this game without a doubt. He definitely needs to be fired ASAP.

These are my opinions and I am sure there will be some disagreements. I've only been a hardcore Canes fan since 2000 so I don't have as much experience as others.

Advertisement
Back