Rank our hires since Butch

200w.gif

Advertisement
-Coker (Fielded excellent if underachieving teams from 01-05 until poor recruiting and a country club atmosphere caught up with him)
-Richt (2016 and 2017 were great years. 2018 was a disappointment after Golden's recruits left.)
-Shannon (2007 team was awful. 2008 showed some promise. 2009 was arguably the best Miami team since 2005 and beat 3 ranked teams in four games.)
-Golden (LOL @ his "defense," but the man can recruit. Since his recruits left, we no longer have Miami-caliber players).
-Manny (He lost to FIU and is headed for a losing season in year 3. What more is there to say?)

Richt would have won that title too. All of them but Golden and Manny probably do.

Coker took the best team in college history and went 7-6 with a loss to Louisville four years later. Flip then if you want, what’s the difference
The list you have is pretty accurate, but ultimately they are all 7 win coaches at Miami given time. Richt had more advantages in Athens than Coral Gables, and no, our geography is no longer the great equalizer it was in the 90s.

Butch
Then maybe Richt
Then everybody else
Then the little Cuban dude running around Kendall Ale House telling everybody- “it’s okay, this is what a Miami Saturday night is supposed to be like

Advertisement
None of them worked out . No doubt multiple posters came on and claimed that due to their omnipotent knowledge they knew each would fail and told us so from day 1. No sheet. At worse it's a 50/50 bet. If you don't get Saban Dabo or urban you are most likely going to be able to say "I told you so". Really want to show how great you are. Give me the name of the one that that will win us a championship. Then your I told you so will actually be impressive.

you do no they booed Butch at games . Many of you were not around when we had Saban, Snelly Johnson, Erickson than Butch. We all said , why where and the heck did we get these guys. There was only the Miami fish wrap and the Fins were doing somewhat good. No internet and Disney had just opened a few years earlier. I know none of you will accept this but we were just a lucky bunch , we got 4 great recruiters in a row. Butch was known by most to be a bad day coach and sorry to say to you got jeers many times. So I’m just happy we had those great years but don’t think it was getting the best coaches out there, it again was on the cheap side.

The invisible hand of the market is the most accurate gage of talent.

1). Mark Richt - Was a head coach in the SEC for many years. The only coach since Butch that had Power 5 head coaching experience. The output showed it as he had the Canes ranked in the top 5 and is the only coach to win the Coastal division.

2). Larry Coker - the marketplace showed that he was an excellent caretaker of a program. He is the only other coach on the list who the marketplace deemed worthy of another head coaching gig (UT San Antonio).

3A). Al Golden - He had some college head coaching experience prior to coming here. He proved to be a decent administrator of a program but a poor coach overall. The marketplace showed this as he has been relegated back down to being a position coach.

3B). Randy Shannon - I'm torn on who was better between Randy and Al. Golden had some head coaching experience prior to UM but has not done anything besides be a position coach since. Randy on the other hand has had multiple offers as a coordinator. Tough call.

5). Manny Diaz - I'm on record saying that Manny Diaz's coaching career ends after he's let go by UM. I could be wrong but I just dont see him continuing in coaching. He reached his own Peter Principle level at UM. For that reason Im listing him 5th.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't care to rank any of these guys...but NO ONE should be below Golden. He is a very distant last place. His recruiting sucked, bad coaching, full of cliche excuses, underdeveloped players, sh*t instincts alienated local HS.....just to circle the wagons when he failed elsewhere.

I could literally write a book about how bad he tarnished the reputation of the football program. It was so bad, before he got fired he had Jimbo saying he should stay so he could continue getting easy wins.

Advertisement
Oops missed Suck 5 , like I said they all had their own really bad moments, Richt I thought had the experience but his disease may have taken his drive out of the game. If any get a pass it has to be him.

Coker(Let’s face it. He won 2 titles)
Richt(good man did a lot for program)
Diaz(only reason he isn’t last is 2 pos👇🏼)
Shannon(not last he is former player)
Golden(terrible coach & A-hole)

Advertisement
Back