Rank coaches from 1979-2015

No, they didn't forget. They never admitted to it in the first place.
Shannon was worse than Golden at player development.

I can't pick which of those 2 are worse

People here really forgot how bad Randy Shannon was.....

Was 58-0 at SunLife really any worse than 48-0 to Virginia at the OB? In my mind, Shannon should have been gone right then.

What about Coker's 3-40 loss to LSU in the '05? Peach Bowl? Difference between that and Golden was at least he [Coker] tried to make wholesale staff changes and adjustments.

I don't think they were good adjustments though. I actually wonder if Coker would have done well enough to survive for at least another year or two if he hadn't made the assistant firings.

You make an excellent point--it was a desperate act that didnt address one of the major issues--his lack of authoritative leadership. He did he solid job lifting UTSA off the ground too, but was let go recently for the exact same reason. Too much grandfather not enough father.

Advertisement
Yeah, let's never forget the run of NFL draft picks from the Shannon years.
Lets remember Hocutt cancelled all recruiting visits when he fired RS. He did not allow the interim coaches to recruit and he also hired Al like a month before. That being said I don't see how this team is in better shape. Do we all purposely ignore that Al inherited a team with 3 nfl backs and a 4th committed in Duke? He inherited 5 nfl wideouts, 3 nfl tight ends and countless olinemen. That alone is more than Al left Richt. I don't see 3 nfl backs or 5 wide outs. I just don't think this team is in better shape. Outside of a few players, Al did not do a good job recruiting.

If you honestly think the team is better now than it was in 2011 you're in denial. When RS was fired we were tied with the most NFL draft selections. We went into 2010 ranked like top 10. There is no expectations for this team now.

Lets remember Hocutt cancelled all recruiting visits when he fired RS. He did not allow the interim coaches to recruit and he also hired Al like a month before. That being said I don't see how this team is in better shape. Do we all purposely ignore that Al inherited a team with 3 nfl backs and a 4th committed in Duke? He inherited 5 nfl wideouts, 3 nfl tight ends and countless olinemen. That alone is more than Al left Richt. I don't see 3 nfl backs or 5 wide outs. I just don't think this team is in better shape. Outside of a few players, Al did not do a good job recruiting.

If you honestly think the team is better now than it was in 2011 you're in denial. When RS was fired we were tied with the most NFL draft selections. We went into 2010 ranked like top 10. There is no expectations for this team now.

* There are no expectations.

Dude, there was SOME talent, but it was ALL out the door after the 2011 season. I'd take the 2017 team ANY day over the 2011 squad that relied on a ton of true freshmen all over the field.

1. Schnelly - Built it from scratch. Revolutionized college football with pro style offense. State of Miami.
2. Erickson - Never thought he was that good, couldn't recruit, and I didn't like his offense, BUT this is Miami and he won more NCs than anyone esle.
3. .Johnson Okay, maybe best coach other than Howard but he lost two NCs before winning one and, as I said, this is Miami and that matters.
4. Coker - Two NCs with one stolen back -- sure he sucked but again, this is Miami.
5. Butch Davis - Built all but our first NC teams. Greatest recruiter in history of college football. I love him, but no NC so has to be at bottom.
I believe that the time since Coker is just a nightmare we will wake up from.

Advertisement
Erickson does not get enough credit. The guy was so good. He was a perfect fit for Miami when he was here. The pressure he had when he came here in 89 was stupid. He won 2 national titles in 3 years. He was always in the mix for the NC. Guy was all Miami when he was here.

Advertisement
Back